Hi everyone, I'm looking to "upgrade" from my V-Strom, mainly because after different bars/grips/extra rubber and nylon washers, etc. I still have issue with the vibrations carrying through to my hands and making them semi-numb to numb (because of sensitivity from carpal tunnel). There are SOOOO many things I love about the strom, I hate for having such a bad time in not getting it dialed in how I like it.
So. I've tried to make my list as short as possible to help in making any decision easier for you and me.
Here they are:
1) Must have upright seating position.
2) Little to no vibration from the engine (especially to the bars).
3) Belt or shaft drive (since I'm changing, I might as well go for easier maintenance)
4) Option to mount hard luggage
5) Preferable for the engine size to be somewhere in the midrange for a not-too-heavy bike.
All of this being said, my strom is my ONLY personal vehicle. I use it to see family, buy groceries/shopping, vacations, etc. So the replacement bike must be as utilitarian as possible. I love to cruise at highway speeds (75-90 mph, indicated), use it for around town stuff and good to pack down for the long vacations (1000+ miles).
In my general search, it seems like I'm either going heavier to something like an ST100, FJR1300, R1200RT or minimalist down to an older Concourse or F650(GS?). I'd prefer to stay away from the heavier sport tourers for weight and maneuverability reasons, if possible.
I await your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.