Oh dear fsm - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 178
Oh dear fsm

I am not trying to circumvent the rules but I have bought several things out of the marketplace but I still can't post and ask questions about goods there.

Please don't be wroth with me, I mostly use moto forums as a resource for information about my bike and parts to buy, my wife keeps me way to busy to do much chatting.

So in keeping with the spirit of your don't try to circumvent the post rules...

I recently clipped a wall with my Adventure pannier. I then dropped the bike and cried a little because its only a couple months old. Luckily the box will mount/unmount but the mounts are a little bent. Anyone ever have this issue and then try to pound out the bends? I'm afraid i will pound straight through the plastic. Suggestions welcome, replies I can then reply to are even more welcome.
doc_simple is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 178
oh yeah, guess I should subscribe to my post
doc_simple is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_simple View Post
I am not trying to circumvent the rules but I have bought several things out of the marketplace but I still can't post and ask questions about goods there.

Please don't be wroth with me, I mostly use moto forums as a resource for information about my bike and parts to buy, my wife keeps me way to busy to do much chatting.

So in keeping with the spirit of your don't try to circumvent the post rules...

I recently clipped a wall with my Adventure pannier. I then dropped the bike and cried a little because its only a couple months old. Luckily the box will mount/unmount but the mounts are a little bent. Anyone ever have this issue and then try to pound out the bends? I'm afraid i will pound straight through the plastic. Suggestions welcome, replies I can then reply to are even more welcome.
Doc, you must have 20 posts to be able to "reply" in the marketplace. You are almost there, have patience.

Depending on how bad the bends are and where they are located they should be able to be fixed to near new appearance. Might pay you to remove the mount so you can pound on the bent tubing properly. Put a piece of wood under it when pounding. There are different ways to get it done, large pliars, hammers, etc. For touch up look for the Rustoleum spray bedliner in a spray can at auto parts stores. It looks good and is a near match for the factory finish.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
 
realshelby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_simple View Post
oh yeah, guess I should subscribe to my post
"Subscribing" to your post might not net the results you are after. It is considered....bad manners to up your post count with frivolous posts....

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
realshelby is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Doc, you must have 20 posts to be able to "reply" in the marketplace. You are almost there, have patience.

Depending on how bad the bends are and where they are located they should be able to be fixed to near new appearance. Might pay you to remove the mount so you can pound on the bent tubing properly. Put a piece of wood under it when pounding. There are different ways to get it done, large pliars, hammers, etc. For touch up look for the Rustoleum spray bedliner in a spray can at auto parts stores. It looks good and is a near match for the factory finish.
Its actually not the tubing mounts that got bent. Its the aluminum on the panniers itself, which seems crazy to me as that metal is way thicker than whats attached to the tubes. Almost wish the tubes had given way first. It looks like the mounts are, bleh blanking on the word, but permanently attached so I would have to drill them out. Not sure if thats worth it verses just leaving it attached and maybe sliding a metal piece underneath and pounding away.


Quote:
"Subscribing" to your post might not net the results you are after. It is considered....bad manners to up your post count with frivolous posts....
Is there another way I could have added instant email notifications with out the added post? Yes, want to get the post count up. But, no, not just spamming.
doc_simple is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,770
If you hit the wall going the other way maybe the bike will balance itself out. No sweat!
notacop is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
teevee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Miami/Managua
Posts: 1,319
Garage
not knowing what type of plastic the panniers are made of...

maybe try warming them up a bit with a hair dryer then apply pressure to see if you can pop the dent out

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
teevee is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
If you hit the wall going the other way maybe the bike will balance itself out. No sweat!
Hmm, I just need to find reverse on the bike.

In retrospect, that sounds pretty dumb. Lemme esplain. I have to scoot around a gate when I leave the parking garage at work and pass a wall that juts out a bit. Not an` issue till you have an extra foot sticking off the side. Plus I was in a rush as I was leaving work to go have a phone interview on my lunch.

But I assure you: I felt extremely stupid.

Teevee: I think they are made of PVC or ABS, not positive though. Anyway its the metal that's bent.
doc_simple is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West of Atlanta , Ga
Posts: 1,437
Look at it as building character one scratch/dent at a time.
Black Rhino is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 PM
gwq
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SA
Posts: 81
Put up a few pics - someone may be able to help & even if they can't you'll be closer to 20 posts
gwq is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome