wearing flat spot in front tire? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
General V-Strom Discussion Talk about all things V-Strom not limited to just one of the above models

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 69
wearing flat spot in front tire?

Ive been riding my wee strom to work and back for almost 2000 miles since i bought it, and have noticed that the front tire is beginning to get a flat wear spot from all the superslab and straight roads here on my 60 mile round trip commute...it was a new dunlop D607 tire when i bought the bike, and i was hoping to have it last 10000 miles (what i figure to be 2 seasons of commuting).

i do have the air pressure bumped up a few psi from recommended, if i go back to recommended will this prolong tire wear?

my back D607 is practically square, but it wasnt new on the bike when i got the bike...i figure ill need to replace it sometime in september or october..

bike seems stable for the most part, except for any hot tar strips, gets kinda squirrely on those...

should i just try to find a different route to work? most roads around here are straight, and as much as i like riding, i dont want my commute to get longer timewise..
taki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Scubadvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 483
In my experience, it's always best to use the tire pressure recommended by the bike manufacturer, not what's stamped on the tire. Increasing the pressure will change the tire profile and could cause what you are seeing.

Flat spots at only 2000 miles "sounds" excessive to me, but I'm not familiar with that particular tire. Granted, I have a different bike (about the same weight) and different tires (Dunlop GT501's), but I have 6,000 miles on them, and no flat spots. Front tire still looks almost new, rear is at about 1/3 tread left. 90% of my riding is commuting to work, the other 10% is on the twisties during the weekends.

Hmmm, maybe you need to hit the twisties more?!?

[FONT="Tahoma"][I]Ride hard, stay safe![/I]
[SIZE="1"]DL650K7 Gray "Whee!"Strom [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Scubadvr; 07-27-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Scubadvr is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 69
i increased the front tire at the recommendation of this website:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/VStrom.html

ill go back to the recommended pressure for the next couple thousand miles to see if that slows down the excessive wearing.

and there is literally one mile that i would consider twisty on my way from work (take a different route due to work home, due to afternoon traffic problems)...ive got about 3/4" chicken strips on my tires, so im not too terribly aggresive, but i wouldnt consider myself chicken either..
taki is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome