New owners decision ~ DL1K vs KLR650
Hi all. First post and what a dilemma I'm in! Before I get into it though I want to congratulate the moderators and participants of this forum. What an incredible source of knowledgeable V/Wee-Strom enthusiasts.
I'm 50 and bought a new '07 DL1K (black of course) about 2 months ago that has 3500 miles on it so far. Have been reading lots, and I mean LOTS of stuff on this forum, and others. Like the bike a lot and I'm giving it a fair chance, but don't have the same love affair I've had with my soon to be departing Triumph SprintST. I want to love it, I really do, but just can't yet despite adding a set of Roger's beautiful Caribou bags.
I know there are reportedly fixes for the things that I find hard to swallow about the V-Strom. Specifically the absolutely insidious wind buffeting I experience despite having the cut the stock screen down 2" and installed spacers to increase the rake. I know, lots of other screens available. No, I haven't put a MadStad bracket on yet. Also right up there on my gripe list is the most irritating sound of a popcorn maker going on in the airbox. I had a TBS done around 1200 miles. Emissions systems stuff eh. I'm mechanically challenged and a little nervous about getting "inside" all by myself. That's why I bought a new bike. Haven't tried a Yosh box or PClll to alleviate the fluttery performance down low and into the mid-high 3K rev range either. That's why I bought a new bike. Because I don't have much faith in my dealer mechanic (who has never ridden a V-Strom btw) I would probably ride 1000 miles to have someone set this thing up properly (if at minimal expense) before making a final decision on whether to keep the V-Strom OR the new '08KLR650 that I'm picking up in two days. Yup, that's where the Triumph is going (trade-in, but that's a whole 'nuther story). I understand there's no perfect beast out of the box or everyone would be riding one. That being said, I haven't spent any time on a KLR and will no doubt find things about it that I'm not tickled with. It will get the same opportunity to prove itself as I'm giving the V-Strom. Before I start sinking a pile of money into fixes I want to be confident that I'm fixing the right one for me.
So, my dilemma is in making a choice 'cause I can only keep one and I want to hit the road for some serious adventure touring in the not-too-distant future. What's a guy to do?
I just re-read this. Wow, sorry for the whiny, snivelling first post but I had to get it off my chest. My, that's feels better.