Why don¯t manufacturers LISTEN - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Feedback to Suzuki Only post information that you feel Suzuki would benefit from knowing. Not a "conversation" section

 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
LoloPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Palawan, Philippines
Posts: 179
Garage
Why don’t manufacturers LISTEN

An important part of improving your product is to listen to your customer’s feedback. Take criticism on the chin: LEARN from your mistakes.
So at the next QC meeting at Sukuki (or Honda or Yamaha or whoever) the product managers should be FORCED to listen to hours of feedback from forums like this one.
Just imagine for a moment if your new V-Strom came with Centrestand, switchable ABS, LED headlights, accessory under-seat fuse box, easily adjustable screen... items which could be added for 10% of the cost of aftermarket extras, the product would significantly out-perform the opposition
So Mr Suzuki......PAY ATTENTION.
Look Listen Learn!
I’d HAPPILY pay $300 more for a STANDARD bike with all these things already fitted, without having to order them as extras (for 3 times the cost) and more importantly having to wait another 4 weeks for their delivery!
Rant over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VSrider likes this.
LoloPD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
slipstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NewYorkistan
Posts: 432
All good points!

They are gonna be listening to me as I plan to ask at the upcoming bike trade show which knucklehead decided to remove the 4 way flasher switch on the 17 wee in America after every strom ever made up to this year had them.
LoloPD likes this.

BOYCOTT Photobucket!
slipstream is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
 
greywolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Evanston IL USA
Posts: 38,049
Garage
It's economics. For one thing, more money can be made selling accessories than including them. Increasing the price of a bike due to adding accessories not everybody wants is also a negative influence. Traditionally, there are less expensive brands that put out bare bones bikes and more expensive brands that include more stuff. Suzuki is the former. Besides, a lot of motorcyclists like to accessorize their bikes to their personal tastes and have a bike that is not just like everybody else's.

There is also the situation of somebody turning off ABS and getting killed or injured while it is off. They or their family then sues Suzuki. There are a lot of variables in deciding what to include.

You want what you want and are adamant about it. Somebody else want's something different. You need to remember the somebody elses.
Big B, Satch, chicago and 4 others like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

Last edited by greywolf; 10-12-2017 at 09:45 AM.
greywolf is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
JooN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Portugal
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
All good points!

They are gonna be listening to me as I plan to ask at the upcoming bike trade show which knucklehead decided to remove the 4 way flasher switch on the 17 wee in America after every strom ever made up to this year had them.
You mean in the USA/Canada you don't have this button on the V-Strom 650 (2017)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vstrom650_2017.jpg (36.2 KB, 75 views)

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
JooN is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,004
They moved the 4 way flasher switch? Oh no, man. It's my favorite accessory.
That's it, no upgrade for me!
Actually it's what GW says. The engineers are tasked with making a product and the accountants decide how to make it profitable.
slipstream likes this.
notacop is online now  
post #6 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Bowtie2bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 432
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloPD View Post
An important part of improving your product is to listen to your customer’s feedback. Take criticism on the chin: LEARN from your mistakes.
So at the next QC meeting at Sukuki (or Honda or Yamaha or whoever) the product managers should be FORCED to listen to hours of feedback from forums like this one.
Just imagine for a moment if your new V-Strom came with Centrestand, switchable ABS, LED headlights, accessory under-seat fuse box, easily adjustable screen... items which could be added for 10% of the cost of aftermarket extras, the product would significantly out-perform the opposition
So Mr Suzuki......PAY ATTENTION.
Look Listen Learn!
I’d HAPPILY pay $300 more for a STANDARD bike with all these things already fitted, without having to order them as extras (for 3 times the cost) and more importantly having to wait another 4 weeks for their delivery!
Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see you are in Palawan. I was in the Philippines earlier this year (Manila, Tarlac, Subic bay, Boracay). Do they offer the V-Strom there? I didn't see anything bigger than like a 350 during my two weeks there

And while I'd agree I'd love to see all those things, Suzuki has a tricky part to play in pleasing all of their clients. Some things have to be downgraded to keep cost down. However offering factory items like center stands, fuse boxes, hand guards, skid plates, heated grips, etc are easier for them to sell as accessories allows them to sell tailored bikes to their buyers. To that point, the aftermarket often offers better and/or cheaper options so the free market takes a lot of business from the manufacturers.

2005 DL1000 - Nadine
2015 Triumph 675 Street Triple R
2007 Honda "Fiddy"
Bowtie2bimmer is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
ommoran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 300
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie2bimmer View Post
I see you are in Palawan. I was in the Philippines earlier this year (Manila, Tarlac, Subic bay, Boracay). Do they offer the V-Strom there? I didn't see anything bigger than like a 350 during my two weeks there

And while I'd agree I'd love to see all those things, Suzuki has a tricky part to play in pleasing all of their clients. Some things have to be downgraded to keep cost down. However offering factory items like center stands, fuse boxes, hand guards, skid plates, heated grips, etc are easier for them to sell as accessories allows them to sell tailored bikes to their buyers. To that point, the aftermarket often offers better and/or cheaper options so the free market takes a lot of business from the manufacturers.
Don't forget who has an often bigger, and certainly more regularly heard, voice - the dealers. If you take away a dealer's ability to upsell high-profit accessories at the time of purchase, you take away a portion - however small - of a dealer's desire to sell the bike which is at a very thin margin. Especially in North America, where dealers often represent multiple competing brands, that dealer can recommend away from a fully kitted out (but more expensive) bike to a bare one - and sell all the accessories for a good margin.

2011 Wee-strom and loving it.
ommoran is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
eagleeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Richland County Wisconsin
Posts: 1,042
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommoran View Post
Don't forget who has an often bigger, and certainly more regularly heard, voice - the dealers. If you take away a dealer's ability to upsell high-profit accessories at the time of purchase, you take away a portion - however small - of a dealer's desire to sell the bike which is at a very thin margin. Especially in North America, where dealers often represent multiple competing brands, that dealer can recommend away from a fully kitted out (but more expensive) bike to a bare one - and sell all the accessories for a good margin.
I worked at a Yamaha shop years ago and when the owner would tell us of which division of the shop the profits were the highest, it was always, accessories.
Big B and greywolf like this.

2009 Suzuki DL650
2005 Yamaha RSTD
2002 Triumph Bonneville
1980 Yamaha XS650 chopper

The Best Bike is the Bike You Like
eagleeye is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,278
Garage
I agree to a point, I do feel that a model designated "Adventure or XT" should truly be the flagship models. Suzuki would still sell the cheaper versions by a long shot, but yeah I would gladly pay for more right up front over buying farkles later.
eagleeye likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Arrowhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Stillwater, NY
Posts: 251
Garage
Not motorcycle related, but sheds light in the manufacturer's mind

My son has a newer F-150 XLT (middle of the pack as far as options) It has tilt steering, but to get telescoping steering, you need to go up in trim level $$$$.

Basically what Ford did was install an adjustment block that will do both, tilt and telescope, but the telescope feature is defeated on the XLT. They could offer a telescoping column in the cheaper models at no or even lower cost but they don't (they have to maintain two different sliding block parts instead of one). This forces you go up in trim level and $$$ if you want telescoping too. So the current hack is to modify the sliding block so it performs both functions. Simple and safe to do. Just shows how they manipulate the market to maximize profits.

'14 Vee2
Arrowhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome