2014 1 k VSTROM - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Feedback to Suzuki Only post information that you feel Suzuki would benefit from knowing. Not a "conversation" section

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
BigMan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Posts: 2,485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Speak for yourself, it speaks to me just fine. The KTM will have plenty of other things that I am sure will not excite you, especially when it breaks down or you need dealer support. Yes the European gourmet ADV bikes have great brakes and suspension, but plenty of other things can tarnish that real quick.
Funny that you mentioned dealer support.
Yesterday I took the the bike to my private mechanic for a service. He is 40 minutes away from my house. I live in northern NJ, not the middle of nowhere exactly, and yet the two Suzuki dealers that existed here shut down last year. If Suzuki (and Japanese motorcycles in general) were such a hot commodity, one would expect another dealer to take over.
But what do you know, the KTM dealer is not far away from me and seems to be doing business just fine.

KTM had an amazing sales year, world wide but in the USA as well.
They are opening new dealerships quickly and expanding.
Uh-Oh BMW, KTM Had Its Best Sales-Year Ever in 2012

"Seeing 32% growth in its worldwide market, thanks in part to a 15% increase in the United States, as well as strong sales in India, KTM is rapidly transforming itself from a boutique brand and into a juggernaut in the motorcycle industry. "

There are other sites that can show you the same facts.

Suzuki used to be bold and daring. But now they are just re-using the same 10-15 year old formula instead of generating some new designs.

KTM could have taken the 996 and make it better, lighter, stronger etc.
Instead they looked at the market, put Ducati on their cross hairs and made a phenomenal bike that has the potential to be their best seller ever.

Aprilia also looked at the market and came out with a wonderful ADV bike, that too has a v-twin racing engine in its heart.

I like Suzuki since I was a child, and have nothing against the company, but one must try to apply critical thinking.
Surely there will be some people buying the new DL1000, maybe even many, but I don't see this model taking Suzuki into the next level.
They have neglected R&D in the last years, have no presence in MotoGP (Maybe 2015, who knows?), insignificant presence in World Superbike (remember that some ADV engines come from WSBK), and no impact in Dakar.

The DL650 is a much better seller for Suzuki, and there is a reason for that - it is much cheaper with almost the same components as the DL1000.
I can't see the new DL1000 competing with the new ADV bikes, and I can see the 800cc bikes (and soon Yamaha 900cc triple ADV) competing with it aggressively with their modern engines and design, weight, and probably better pricing.

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2011 DL-650A, Now owned by another stromtrooper
-----------------------------------------------------
Stromputer - https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/73806-stromputer-alive.html
Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/

Last edited by BigMan73; 08-18-2013 at 10:43 AM.
BigMan73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baltic, Ct
Posts: 6,626
A closed loop pollution mandated ECM gives you all the power modes and traction control with a switch. It can also give you more big end power where the sniffers don;t test.

There has never been a reason to tie displacement and cost. It is marketing BS. The factory cost of bigger engine and better suspension in the age of China is peanuts. I bet the real cost 650 to 1000 is no more than $200 the price is what the evil naked mole rats think the public will bear.

I am a cheap moron but looked for a UJM for cheap I paid 6600 out the door for my left over.

To bring it around.... and being am inginear myself I would have liked a little more touting of advancements and improvements some like inverted forks are obvious. I am troubled by their focus on the guy ripping off the Nike swoosh as some muse inspired art that for just a few sheckles (sp?) you can be privileged to possess

Eventually our little group of Stromtroopers will dissipate. Big motorcycles will actually decrease in numbers in North America and if the New Big Strom is really a turkey at a high cost this will happen even faster.

All the Jap companies are stupid if the think they can sell against the BMW faithful and KTM go fasts with a mere 20% savings
richw is offline  
post #13 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Close to you
Posts: 639
You've got to remember why people buy a DL650 or similar, 'cos they don't want a great big lumpy bike. Most BMW R1200GS riders are wannabe posseurs and never have the nerve/ability to take it off the highway. Also, I notice the absence of the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, what a great bike this is, far better and capable than the Ducati 1200 and even better than the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere. Yes BMW and KTM will always win out against the Kawasaki's, Yamaha's (unless it's the XT660 Tenere) and Suzuki V Strom 1000, but these same manufactures have managed to 'include' a huge number of riders that would otherwise never be able to enjoy adventure biking due to high buy-in costs. These are everyman bikes, not just those with lots of spare cash to play with at the weekends.
dogdaze is offline  
 
post #14 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
BigMan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Posts: 2,485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
You've got to remember why people buy a DL650 or similar, 'cos they don't want a great big lumpy bike. Most BMW R1200GS riders are wannabe posseurs and never have the nerve/ability to take it off the highway. Also, I notice the absence of the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, what a great bike this is, far better and capable than the Ducati 1200 and even better than the Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere. Yes BMW and KTM will always win out against the Kawasaki's, Yamaha's (unless it's the XT660 Tenere) and Suzuki V Strom 1000, but these same manufactures have managed to 'include' a huge number of riders that would otherwise never be able to enjoy adventure biking due to high buy-in costs. These are everyman bikes, not just those with lots of spare cash to play with at the weekends.
The fact is that the Euro manufacturers (BMW and KTM, Ducati and Triumph) are selling many motorcycles very well.
As for the rest, Suzuki is not selling the DL1000 well, from what I read and see the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 is not a major sales hit, I think it is safe to say the Kawasaki Versys 1000 is a flop (an observation: have never seen one to date on the road), and the Guzzi is a rare collectors item at this point.

Posers or not, these middle aged men are the primary target for the Euro companies mentioned above (BMW/KTM/Ducati/Triumph) and Aprilia wants to join the exact same market. I expect the Caponord to be a major sales hit for Aprilia - it actually looks like what Suzuki should have done and has some resemblance IMO to the original V-Strom 'design'.
Piaggio, owner of Aprilia, was always the 'Suzuki' of Europe. Reliable machines for an affordable price.

The Japanese have a real leadership crisis - the days of Europe making unreliable Euro trash bikes are gone.
Europe has caught up with all the hi precision techniques that were so associated with Japan. It is true for cars, airplanes, and even space technology.

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2011 DL-650A, Now owned by another stromtrooper
-----------------------------------------------------
Stromputer - https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/73806-stromputer-alive.html
Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
BigMan73 is offline  
post #15 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
The fact is that the Euro manufacturers (BMW and KTM, Ducati and Triumph) are selling many motorcycles very well.
As for the rest, Suzuki is not selling the DL1000 well, from what I read and see the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 is not a major sales hit, I think it is safe to say the Kawasaki Versys 1000 is a flop (an observation: have never seen one to date on the road), and the Guzzi is a rare collectors item at this point.

Posers or not, these middle aged men are the primary target for the Euro companies mentioned above (BMW/KTM/Ducati/Triumph) and Aprilia wants to join the exact same market. I expect the Caponord to be a major sales hit for Aprilia - it actually looks like what Suzuki should have done and has some resemblance IMO to the original V-Strom 'design'.
Piaggio, owner of Aprilia, was always the 'Suzuki' of Europe. Reliable machines for an affordable price.

The Japanese have a real leadership crisis - the days of Europe making unreliable Euro trash bikes are gone.
Europe has caught up with all the hi precision techniques that were so associated with Japan. It is true for cars, airplanes, and even space technology
.

Cannot agree with that much, they are better for sure but still not up to par with the Japanese OR Americans. KTM dominates MX and for good reasons, they are a MX company that now is trying to make quality road bikes. Triumph IMHO is the company that impresses me the most, and a Tiger 800 is on my short list. BMW is hit or miss "big time" and that is the problem as I see it. So many of us will buy our cheap Stroms and simply spend a bit here and there to upgrade suspension and brakes, and they are every bit as good as the European offerings in many way. Reliability is still just not there with the gourmet bikes, hence why there are many ex BMW riders now on Stroms. Keep it simple and stupid, that works great for me and many others. The KLR has done quite well since it's introduction, and it still is a good seller. Perfect example of a bike that "just works", not perfect but pretty darn good. The Tsunami really hurt Japan in many ways but they are bouncing back, Suzuki is tiny compared to the other "big 3", so they have to be smart about thinking outside the box.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
post #16 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
BigMan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Posts: 2,485
Garage
BigB
Would you shell $13k for the new DL1000?
That's the bottom line question, IMO

I wouldn't

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2011 DL-650A, Now owned by another stromtrooper
-----------------------------------------------------
Stromputer - https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/73806-stromputer-alive.html
Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
BigMan73 is offline  
post #17 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
tiller4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
BigB
Would you shell $13k for the new DL1000?
That's the bottom line question, IMO

I wouldn't
Bikes Doctor gave a speculative 12,500 euro price, That equates to $16,600 usd.

Motorcycle News 2014 What to expect from the future Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom? | Bikes Doctor

I am sure market will reflect in the price.

79 GS1000S
97 TL1000S
2005 DRZ400
2005 KDX220R
2007 DLK
2009 KLR650
2007 FJR1300
2007 Honda XR650L
tiller4me is offline  
post #18 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Close to you
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
The fact is that the Euro manufacturers (BMW and KTM, Ducati and Triumph) are selling many motorcycles very well.
As for the rest, Suzuki is not selling the DL1000 well, from what I read and see the Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 is not a major sales hit, I think it is safe to say the Kawasaki Versys 1000 is a flop (an observation: have never seen one to date on the road), and the Guzzi is a rare collectors item at this point.

Posers or not, these middle aged men are the primary target for the Euro companies mentioned above (BMW/KTM/Ducati/Triumph) and Aprilia wants to join the exact same market. I expect the Caponord to be a major sales hit for Aprilia - it actually looks like what Suzuki should have done and has some resemblance IMO to the original V-Strom 'design'.
Piaggio, owner of Aprilia, was always the 'Suzuki' of Europe. Reliable machines for an affordable price.

The Japanese have a real leadership crisis - the days of Europe making unreliable Euro trash bikes are gone.
Europe has caught up with all the hi precision techniques that were so associated with Japan. It is true for cars, airplanes, and even space technology.
Actually Moto Guzzi Stelvio has been a good success for the company, Aprilia and Ducati are just so over-priced for their reliability. BMW has been 'rush jobbing' the GS for the last 9 years that they have tons of problems with sub-standard build and corrosion issues. KTM should have had the GS's kudos but at the last minute they pulled out of lending a couple of guys their machines for a 'Long Way Down' trip and hence the GS success story was written. I love the looks of the Italian bikes, but would I throw my money at one (other than the Stelvio)? NO. For my money as a second or third bike to leave out in all weathers, the DL650 will fit the bill for now.
dogdaze is offline  
post #19 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
BigMan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Posts: 2,485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
Actually Moto Guzzi Stelvio has been a good success for the company, Aprilia and Ducati are just so over-priced for their reliability. BMW has been 'rush jobbing' the GS for the last 9 years that they have tons of problems with sub-standard build and corrosion issues. KTM should have had the GS's kudos but at the last minute they pulled out of lending a couple of guys their machines for a 'Long Way Down' trip and hence the GS success story was written. I love the looks of the Italian bikes, but would I throw my money at one (other than the Stelvio)? NO. For my money as a second or third bike to leave out in all weathers, the DL650 will fit the bill for now.
Your conclusion is irrelevant to the discussion here
When one wants to move to a newer big ADV, DL 650 will not be the solution

KTM is Austrian, not Italian
these guys make top quality, reliable motorcycles that win races, Dakar in particular, year after year

2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2011 DL-650A, Now owned by another stromtrooper
-----------------------------------------------------
Stromputer - https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/73806-stromputer-alive.html
Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
BigMan73 is offline  
post #20 of 64 Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Big B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central OHIO "Go Buckeyes"
Posts: 16,325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMan73 View Post
BigB
Would you shell $13k for the new DL1000?
That's the bottom line question, IMO

I wouldn't
Yup.......and we do not know everything about the bike yet. I doubt it will be that much anyways, and I think it will be a big seller for Suzuki, and make many of us 1000 owners very happy.

Yeah KTM wins allot of Dakar and other offroad races, "on road" reliability and longevity is a whole other thing. So when you getting the new KTM 1190 Adventure?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”




Big B is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome