Just arrived to the United Kingdom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Euro Troopers! For our friends "across the pond"

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
BMiracleTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK... but from TEXAS
Posts: 176
Just arrived to the United Kingdom

Hello Euro Troopers!

I arrived to the United Kingdom (Suffolk) about a month ago and my '12 VStrom will hopefully be here next week.

I am looking forward to doing some rides and some camping along the way. Does anyone here have any suggestions on great trips/rides here on the island?

Thanks in advance!
BMiracleTX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 43
Personally I'd take the first opportunity to cross the channel to France. Much better riding as our roads are getting just too busy.

Otherwise head up to the west coast of Scotland. Some magical roads and scenery.

Ian
2005 DL650 just purchased after 8 years with a Tiger 955i
iansoady is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
BMiracleTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK... but from TEXAS
Posts: 176
I actually have been mapping a trip that goes up throught the west coast, hits Loch Ness and Inverness, and then continues north. From my place I think the trip ended up being around between 600 and 700 miles one way. I intend to do some camping along the way and just general sight seeing as well... and of course Pubs!

edit: Currently I only have the US military drivers license which I believe only covers the UK. I do want to get my Euro drivers license so that I can head over the France. Any recommendations for places there?

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
BMiracleTX is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Close to you
Posts: 639
Hi and welcome.
I find that some of the best places to ride is Europe, not so sure about the UK as from earlier post, too busy. I live very close to the Black Forest and this year plan a little jaunt to the Stelvio Pass (about 3 hours from my house), but living in Switzerland, I can hop on the bike and within minutes be on great riding roads up in the lower Alps.
dogdaze is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
BMiracleTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK... but from TEXAS
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
Hi and welcome.
I find that some of the best places to ride is Europe, not so sure about the UK as from earlier post, too busy. I live very close to the Black Forest and this year plan a little jaunt to the Stelvio Pass (about 3 hours from my house), but living in Switzerland, I can hop on the bike and within minutes be on great riding roads up in the lower Alps.
Wow. Taat sounds awesome. I am jealous. I have heard alot about Stelvio Pass... I might have to venture that way.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
BMiracleTX is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 43
There's no such thing as a "Euro" licence - each country has its own. I don't know much (anything) about military licences but normally a visitor to a country for a short period will be OK with their home country version. However, insurance may prove more of a problem (compulsory 3rd party throughout EU).

WRT Scotland, you'll find the west coast much better than the east. For example - go up the A82 to Fort William, out to Mallaig then the ferry to Skye. Then cross back across the bridge to the mainland, north along A890 then west to Applecross across the Pass of the Cattle - superb. Then just follow the front wheel keeping the sea on the left.... Lots of single track roads with passing places, very few settlements or people. But loads of sheep.

The problem if you're coming from anywhere in the midlands or further south is getting past Manchester / Liverpool then Glasgow / Edinburgh.

France - anywhere really but my favourites are the Massif Central, Pyrenees and Alps.

Ian
2005 DL650 just purchased after 8 years with a Tiger 955i
iansoady is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
BMiracleTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK... but from TEXAS
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansoady View Post
There's no such thing as a "Euro" licence - each country has its own. I don't know much (anything) about military licences but normally a visitor to a country for a short period will be OK with their home country version. However, insurance may prove more of a problem (compulsory 3rd party throughout EU).

WRT Scotland, you'll find the west coast much better than the east. For example - go up the A82 to Fort William, out to Mallaig then the ferry to Skye. Then cross back across the bridge to the mainland, north along A890 then west to Applecross across the Pass of the Cattle - superb. Then just follow the front wheel keeping the sea on the left.... Lots of single track roads with passing places, very few settlements or people. But loads of sheep.

The problem if you're coming from anywhere in the midlands or further south is getting past Manchester / Liverpool then Glasgow / Edinburgh.

France - anywhere really but my favourites are the Massif Central, Pyrenees and Alps.
Great info on this route. I will have to check it out. As for the licensing, I know I have my US license, but had to take and pass the UK test. They gave us a card to use with out stateside license. I do have insurance here which came with a "green card" that lists all of the countriesd that the coverage extends to.

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
BMiracleTX is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Close to you
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracleTX View Post
Wow. Taat sounds awesome. I am jealous. I have heard alot about Stelvio Pass... I might have to venture that way.
Anytime you feel the urge to head towards the Swiss border, let me know, happy to join you for a 'little' trip.
dogdaze is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
BMiracleTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK... but from TEXAS
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaze View Post
Anytime you feel the urge to head towards the Swiss border, let me know, happy to join you for a 'little' trip.
Sounds great. I looked this up on Google maps... man, that road looks AWESOME! Lots of turns. It is 1326 km from my house to there, so it would be a couple day ride. Definitely looks like it would be worth the trip.

I will keep this on my to-do list and let you know!

2012 DL650A Adventure, Yoshimura R-77 3/4 exhaust, Sargent World Sport Performance Plus seat, ProTaper SE Raptor bars, SW-Motech 25mm risers, ProGrip Grips, Suzuki handguards, Tuono mirrors, Givi skid plate, Adventure Tech fork brace, GPS mount, peg lowering kit, auxiliary power shelf, SW-Motech convertible foot pegs, SW-Motech extended shift lever, SVRacing frame sliders, Garmin Zumo 660, MRA Xcreen, Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, Coocase V37

Currently in the United Kingdom and looking for great rides. PM if you have suggestions.
BMiracleTX is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pasadna area
Posts: 13,582
When I was stationed in Germany during the occupation my Calif license was accepted on the economy. Hopefully the rules haven't changed for confusing. I had my military driving license and drove a Duece and a half dressed in green like an elf. I had no problem renting a car.
notacop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome