600 Miles, The Good and Bad So Far - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

600 Miles, The Good and Bad So Far

I finally made it to 600 miles and have a few observations about my 2019 V-Strom XT.

Its a lot lighter than my other bike, a Triumph Trophy SE, so it feels nimble and quick changing directions. It's also a lot easier to push around the garage.

The ergonomics are good for me, the seat, bars and foot pegs seem in good locations and the screen is just high enough to push the wind over my head so no buffeting. I put about 7 hours in the seat yesterday and the only problem I had was that uncomfortable seat. I need to address that sooner rather than later.

I'm getting over 250 miles on a tank babying the bike through the break-in process so I'm getting over 60 mpg and I'm liking that.

The suspension isn't the best. I knew that when I bought it as I chose not to spend almost twice the cost of the bike on a Triumph Tiger 800. I hit a few rough spots on the road that caused the front end to feel like the forks locked up, It felt like they couldn't react fast enough to the road irregularities. The rear seems overwhelmed at times, I think I bottomed out at least twice and I was on the pavement all day. I have upped the preload on the rear, but it didn't help much. An upgrade is in the future.

The bike's electrical system had no issue handling the heated grips and jacket liner I was wearing when I left home. It was about 32 degrees and wind protection was pretty good for a mostly naked bike.

I already scraped the pipe under the engine doing a u-turn on the shoulder. It wasn't even very rough so I need to get a skid plate ASAP.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the bike.
Dragon Rider, NVDucati and hb9400 like this.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2019 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

So about the breaking in by the book....Just ride it how your going to ride it, the bike will be fine.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do you know there is a compression adjustment on the rear shock? Adjusting it to something slower might help.

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400

post #4 of 25 Old 11-16-2019, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
The adjustment that jhat is talking about is a screw adjustment on the rear shock lower ( flat blade screw)
There are procedures for this somewhat described in the owners manual as well as members on this forum can help.

Did you ever go to dealer for FI code issue ?

2017 DL 650 , The Bible of Mods - Amen , AMA member , RestoRides MotorSports CEO,

"I don't want a pickle - just wanna ride my motor-sickle"
post #5 of 25 Old 11-16-2019, 11:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
. that uncomfortable seat. I need to address that sooner rather than later.... .
Try a "Sit&Fly" seat cover before you spend big bucks. I ride my V2 stock seat with that cover and can do 10+h days. Without no way I would do that!

The shock can be re-sprung and re-valved, will make a huge difference. The forks, assuming they are still similar to the earlier versions will be helped a lot with drop in devices like Ricors Intiminators. There are others as well doing shock and fork re-building/ upgrading.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 25 Old 11-17-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhat View Post
Do you know there is a compression adjustment on the rear shock? Adjusting it to something slower might help.
I didn't know that, I'll check it out. Tks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider2017 View Post
The adjustment that jhat is talking about is a screw adjustment on the rear shock lower ( flat blade screw)
There are procedures for this somewhat described in the owners manual as well as members on this forum can help.

Did you ever go to dealer for FI code issue ?
Tks. I haven't gotten the bike to the dealer yet, but I may be able to get it over there this week.

My local multi line dealer just announced its closing its doors - the owner retired after 40 years in business and couldn't find anyone to buy the shop. I'm thinking managing a bunch of different franchises during the sale made it difficult. I know Honda gets its panties in a wad over franchise moves. When I lived in San Antonio, Joe Harrison Motorsports closed up shop and a few of their brands moved over to Kent Motorsports. It took them over a year to get the Honda sign over the Kent dealership because of trademark issues. The KTM, Suzuki and Honda lines weren't picked up locally so the next dealer is now 30 miles down the road. The Triumph, Royal Infield and Indian marques are all going into a new, smaller dealership opening a few miles away. I'd have thought Suzuki and Honda would sell 5 bikes for every Indian or Triumph they sold, but they must not be as profitable.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
post #7 of 25 Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Try a "Sit&Fly" seat cover before you spend big bucks. I ride my V2 stock seat with that cover and can do 10+h days. Without no way I would do that!

The shock can be re-sprung and re-valved, will make a huge difference. The forks, assuming they are still similar to the earlier versions will be helped a lot with drop in devices like Ricors Intiminators. There are others as well doing shock and fork re-building/ upgrading.
Sounds like its mostly for ventilation but it might give me some relief. The stock seat feels like the foam flattens out after about 45 minutes and the its like sitting on a board. Tks.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
post #8 of 25 Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I checked out the compression damping and it was in the "normal" position. I don't really know which way to go with it. I'm thinking the damping is too low the rear will bottom out too fast?

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
post #9 of 25 Old 11-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
Sounds like its mostly for ventilation but it might give me some relief. The stock seat feels like the foam flattens out after about 45 minutes and the its like sitting on a board. Tks.
Its more than just ventilation, try it, cost is so low, no risk. At the last NEVA about 50% of the bikes were running that cover, why?

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #10 of 25 Old 11-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Maybe first you should try to find some info about it. On Wee 3 the fit of the seat to the gas tank is so tight that it seems that the paint might be gone at no time. I do have it on Wee2 and it works great. Beside ventilation it works very well when riding in the rain. I have not installed it on my Wee3 though.
NeverSatisfied likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode