Check Engine and FI - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Check Engine and FI

At 300 miles on a new bike I got a check engine light and the FI message. A quick internet search tells me that this is a fairly common occurrence, but I didn't find any real fix fix for the issue. The check engine light went away the fifth time I went through the start cycle and hasn't come back. Should I take it to the dealer or just wait to see if it happens again?

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2019 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

Last edited by Ernest T; 11-16-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: add pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The unfortunate issue is that if the check engine light does not come on and stay on, the dealer may not be able to help. Dealers like to have a repeatable issue. Talk to your dealer, explain the situation, and next time this happens, do not turn the bike off, but ride to the dealer - keep the bike started, and have him see the bike immediately. Find out if the ECU keeps a log of issues. Electrical gremlins can disappear when the bike is shut off.

Good luck.

Ernest Nash
Victoria BC

From Yoda - “Do or do not. There is no try.”

2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Limited Edition
1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Special Edition
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Having the images helps, however knowing anything unusual that led to the appearance of the FI /check engine codes
are more valuable. It has been noted before that the system resets itself after a few driving cycles occur ( IF) there is
not a true problem. Being you have such a low mileage bike and have already had this occur. I would have the dealer
check all the electrical connections including the grounds and or any stored codes while in Dealer Mode.

Good luck.

2017 DL 650 , The Bible of Mods - Amen , AMA member , RestoRides MotorSports CEO,

"I don't want a pickle - just wanna ride my motor-sickle"

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
The unfortunate issue is that if the check engine light does not come on and stay on, the dealer may not be able to help. Dealers like to have a repeatable issue. Talk to your dealer, explain the situation, and next time this happens, do not turn the bike off, but ride to the dealer - keep the bike started, and have him see the bike immediately. Find out if the ECU keeps a log of issues. Electrical gremlins can disappear when the bike is shut off.

Good luck.
I was hoping the ECM stored the codes so they could be retrieved later. I was about 100 miles from home, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, when it popped up. Nothing unusual happened, I was cruising along about 65 mph on a beautiful, sunny day. I don't think I had enough fuel to make it to the closest dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider2017 View Post
Having the images helps, however knowing anything unusual that led to the appearance of the FI /check engine codes are more valuable. It has been noted before that the system resets itself after a few driving cycles occur ( IF) there is not a true problem. Being you have such a low mileage bike and have already had this occur. I would have the dealer check all the electrical connections including the grounds and or any stored codes while in Dealer Mode.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'll do have the dealer look at it.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2019 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
It seems from the masses of 650 owners of recent model years this issue is very isolated in nature. But it's good practice
to rule out anything warranty related with the dealer as soon as possible. The service record should be saved and stored away
safely for future reference. If it happens again ( without reason) The issue could possibly be in the ECU.

You do not want to be on the hook for this so let the dealership near you figure out whats wrong. If you frequently ride a good distance
from home , keep in mind in severe cases if shut off the bike may not start up again. In limp home mode it will run with the FI code on the dash.
The more severe case will not allow the engine to run. Then tow truck option...

2017 DL 650 , The Bible of Mods - Amen , AMA member , RestoRides MotorSports CEO,

post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

You should be able to see the error code when you put the display into dealer mode.

Dealer Mode, Post # 23 (and others): https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-3.html

Error Codes: https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...-f1-error.html

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
At 300 miles on a new bike I got a check engine light and the FI message. A quick internet search tells me that this is a fairly common occurrence, but I didn't find any real fix fix for the issue. The check engine light went away the fifth time I went through the start cycle and hasn't come back. Should I take it to the dealer or just wait to see if it happens again?

I had the F1 light come on while travelling in the Sahara desert this past summer. I had done a lot of pre-maintenance to my motorcycle before leaving, and this was nothing short of shock and horror! I rode to a nearby gas station and shut the bike off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started right back up with no F1 light on. That was on my mind for the duration of the trip especially stopping in the Sahara to take pictures and wondering if I would have an issue with it. But nothing ever came of it. Maybe I was Lucky...

2001 HD Heritage Softail
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Expedition
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
There are a host of things that can cause this condition, Bad gas, Fuel stabilzer (too much of or too old), Electrical,
As in ECU, Harness connections, Battery connections.
Even periods of high speed and decelleration in gear can trigger this code. So it is a general code not just one
specific reason why. I personally have not had this happen on my bike with almost 2400 miles on it. I don't baby it
and make use of the power band when deemed nessesary. .

I try to store it when not ridden with a full fresh tank of gas and rarely use any stabilzer. I do ride in winter months
if above 50 degree's. So storage is not a real issue for me.

post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider2017 View Post
There are a host of things that can cause this condition, Bad gas, Fuel stabilzer (too much of or too old), Electrical,
As in ECU, Harness connections, Battery connections.
Even periods of high speed and decelleration in gear can trigger this code. So it is a general code not just one
specific reason why. I personally have not had this happen on my bike with almost 2400 miles on it. I don't baby it
and make use of the power band when deemed nessesary. .

I try to store it when not ridden with a full fresh tank of gas and rarely use any stabilzer. I do ride in winter months
if above 50 degree's. So storage is not a real issue for me.

I had no idea bad gas or fuel stabilizer could be a problem that would activate the F1 light. My understanding was that it was electrical within the fuel system. Good to know!

2001 HD Heritage Softail
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Expedition
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
post #10 of 10 Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
If the engine stumbles ( cough - hickup ) what ever it can cause an error code to be generated.
Many times the issue will pass after a few driving cycles and the ECU will reset. ( code goes away )
but still stored in memory.

If the issue is a hard fault then the code will not reset and could result in a no start condition.

And Yes the ECU ( computer) controls the fuel injection which is monitored as long as the engine is running.

The FI is actually (fault indicator ) Not Fuel injection per say but a general indication of a fault in one or more
of the parameters monitored by the ECU.

Last edited by RestoRider2017; 11-25-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode