Skid Plates - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-30-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Skid Plates

I notice that a lot of the skid plates for the V-Strom 650 attach to the engine itself. That seems sketchy, but I realize there isn't a frame underneath the engine to use for an attaching a plate. Is that a concern or a nonissue?

I'm not a real off road rider, but I'll be doing a lot of dirt and gravel roads that occasional traverse rocky terrain so I need some real protection.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2019 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It really depends on what kind of riding you do. For what you have described, your skid plate will not be absorbing much abuse. Most everyone here will agree that a really hard strike on a large rock to a skid plate that is engine mounted might do more damage to the engine cases than a frame mounted plate.

The Happy Trails skid plate mounts to a transverse bracket in the rear that bolts to the frame on the right side (where the exhaust pipe is clamped) and to the kick stand bracket on the left. Mine sustained a hit on the bottom of the plate by a rock that left a gouge in the soft aluminum. No other damage. It is positioned about as high up as a plate can go, just under the exhaust, and it bolts to several brands of crash bars up front. That said, the HT skid plate that I bought for my '13 DL650 earlier this year is enormous. I think they make one size that fits all. It affords great protection and has no downsides other than visual (some folks here have said one brand or another of crash bars look ugly - to each his own) and perhaps cost.

If you are shopping for a skid plate, do a 'skid plate' and 'crash bar' or 'engine guard' search and start reading threads. There is a lot of info here. Keep a pad and pencil handy to take notes and list the brands of skid plates and crash bars that are mentioned. Then go to the websites (google search) and check them out. You can get plastic, steel and aluminum plates; crash bars are almost mandatory if you are going to go off road. Things happen. One item - i think T-Rex racing offers a plastic puck for their crash bars. I made a pair for my bike, experimented to see what would touch down first to locate them, then mounted them. Between my solo box panniers and the puck, I got no scratches or damage when I dropped my bike when attempting to start from stopped on a curve in an uphill gravel road.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I went with the Ravetech bolted skid plate. Mounts to oem crash bars and under kickstand bolts. Seems like a good find, Even some videos on YouTube for it. I'll let you know when it arrives and I get it mounted on my 2018 how I feel. Comes from Thailand but it's half the cost of the SW motech that mounts to engine...

post #4 of 22 Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Although I donít intend to do the Baja 1000 with the WeeStrom, the engine hanging exposed concerned me a bit even for the slightly rough roads. I went with the T-Rex Racing (Dallas, TX) bash plate that mounts to the frame. Itís a little bulky-looking, but I feel it could take a hard hit and protect the power plant. It has good construction quality at a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5313176E-956A-490A-9BC1-01ADE52EE366.jpg (782.7 KB, 29 views)
post #5 of 22 Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I did the Happy Trails on mine too. Easy install, mounts to the frame. The Givi plate I had on my 650 wasn't NEARLY as stout and mounted to the engine case.

https://www.happy-trail.com/find-you...ate-dl650.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190704_132217.jpg (462.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190704_131639.jpg (475.4 KB, 19 views)
post #6 of 22 Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I have Givi skid plate on my DL650, and it does mount to the engine. It is only 3mm soft aluminum and is riveted rather than welded. This design to me indicates it will likely deform before any damage is done to the crankcase. My off-pavement riding is all gravel township and forestry roads and an occasional minimum-maintenance road; no creek beds rocky outcrops, etc, nothing severe enough o worry about high centering, so an engine mounted design is of no concern for my riding. I just wanted something to prevent stones & debris from hitting the oil filter.
Although it is strange that Givi doesn't make a frame & crash bar mounted skid plate that would utilize their own crash bars.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #7 of 22 Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I went with the Ravtech mini for the same reasons. I'm not even sure I'm going to get any engine guards.

Dennis
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2019 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT
post #8 of 22 Old 11-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Like others I just wanted some cursory rock protection so I went with the Weld86 plate. Reasonably prices, easy to install, cleans up after an oil change easily too. The oil film keeps the powder coated aluminum from rusting too.
I had a humungous steel bash plate from one of the vendors but the first curb I jumped during some road construction, it hit. My weld tucks in closer and doesn't reduce the ground clearance.
SuperG likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronw View Post
I did the Happy Trails on mine too. Easy install, mounts to the frame. The Givi plate I had on my 650 wasn't NEARLY as stout and mounted to the engine case.
Is that a 650 pictured with the HT bash plate? I got their skid plate this past winter and I've jokingly said it was a cut down bathtub and HT made one size to fit ALL V Stroms. It is enormous on my DL650, but looks like it was made just for your bike.

Sure is stout though. I tagged a rock or two on rough two track and have a nice gouge in the bottom of plate - it did not move and did what I expected of it.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Rolled the dice and ordered this skid....
Has anyone installed one???
Attached Images
File Type: png skid.png (228.8 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode