On my way home from work.... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
On my way home from work....

The cager decided that she wanted this spot in #4 from #2 without using turn signals. My Minion suffered some damages but her car suffered MORE, and she don't have auto insurance. I was surprised that I did not fall down with my bike. ABS really worked WELL! No tire marks and it stopped my bike on a dime! It was resting on her driver door. Damn, it was HEAVY to pull it upright to push it off the freeway onto the left shoulder. No injury on me. Whew! Still rideable.

The bush guard and 3 months old Madstad windshield need to be replaced. I don't know the name of a thing at the end of handle, black thing. It needs to be replaced, too. The trims is alright with light scratches. My one week old GoPro recorded that!

YouTube Link
notacop, Cryoman, Webfors and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 03:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

good to see that you came through unhurt. One of my fears of lane splitting, that nasty cage lane change.
VSrider and SuperG like this.

Rich

*It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50*
post #3 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not so sure you win in a court of law with that footage. I'm glad you walked away.
iamsmiling, VSrider and oldjeep like this.

post #4 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 09:53 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
That kind of stupidity is legal where you ride?

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #5 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 AM
$tromtrooper

Glad you are not injured. Filtering has inherent dangers that are unique. What I see on your video is that you might have been travelling a bit too fast. When filtering you must always search for and anticipate someone changing lanes. Once it was obvious that she was changing lanes you took no immediate evasive action(slowing, braking or counter-steering) until it was too late. If you slow down the video you have almost 2 seconds to react before impact. I know that does not seem like a lot of time, but if you had been covering the front brake and rear brake levers, the reaction time to apply brakes is less that half a second and the reaction time to counter-steer is less than that.

Before you got to the rear bumper of the white Chevy Utility bed truck behind her you could see her, and even before that you could see her cars shadow moving across the pavement. There was a large escape area to the left portion of the express lane and then into the breakdown lane. I'm a big fan of counter-steering and practice it all the time and one big push on that left hand-grip could have had you over into the left hand portion of that express lane and out of harms way.

I'm not saying this was your fault legally, but it's great to have that video to analyze what you as a rider could have done better. Anytime we crash there is almost always something we could have done to prevent it from happening. Walking away unharmed from any crash is a win, just please consider upping your skill set a little, tune up your threat radar and practice some threshold braking and counter-steering. If you filter almost every day like I did for 11 years, something exactly like this will happen again and again...be ready for it next time.
V-Tom, iamsmiling, Spec and 11 others like this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #6 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

The perils of lane splitting.......and you could see that coming a mile off. There are a lot of no insurance folks driving around, especially in States along the Southern border. You absolutely need to have uninsured driver coverage. Sad😠
Big B, V-Tom, chicago and 3 others like this.

Phil C.
2017 DL650AL Wee-Strom.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Oh, Man ! and it's the yellow one too, my favorite Vstrom color. Glad you didn't get busted up. Oregon is considering lane splitting, and I can see when it would be an advantage. On one occasion, on a trip south between Santa Cruz and Monterey, traffic was backed up and stalled. I heard a pair of HD Road Glides come up behind me splitting lanes, and followed them through most of the stalled traffic at about 25 mph. Their exhaust noise seemed to alert drivers ahead of us that we were coming and the lanes split like Moses splitting the waters of the Red Sea. As great as it was, I continued that trip down to LA, and got caught in traffic a couple more times, but that was the only time I split lanes. My Givi V35 side bags width and silent stock exhaust made me nervous.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I think if I had to do this everyday to get to work I'd make other plans. The stress of riding that way in traffic negates any joy I might receive from motorcycling. I understand necessity but that looks like one more good reason to get out of California. Life is too short and that looks like a guarantee of making it shorter. I feel sorry for those of you who have to live that way. Best, DD
Motor7, SuperG and Motorpsychology like this.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lane splitting is legal in Arizona but I don't do it with much difference in speed to the cars.

One thing I have written in stone is that if there is going to be an accident it is better to have it at lower speed.

I do practice instantly hitting the brakes. I also practice countersteering. I have been riding for over 60 years and the cars haven't got me yet. Well not real real bad anyway.

I don't think you would win in court out here. They would say "speed faster than prudent".

cheers
RLBranson

Last edited by RLBranson; 10-26-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaubBaer View Post
The cager decided that she wanted this spot in #4 from #2 without using turn signals.

YouTube Link
Before we condemn lane splitting:...
When I go through that video, I believe that this accident - with both drivers doing what they did - would have happened with or without lane splitting.

As regards the "legal" aspect, the car driver is clearly at fault. One needs to signal a lane change _ each lane change! Legally, you need to complete a lane change before doing another. She did two in one gulp without any signal and obviously without adequately determining it was safe to do so. "Safe" is the binding caveat to every motor vehicle law, likely in every jurisdiction.

As regards our fellow rider:...
As motorcyclists, we take on the self-interest duty of defending against things beyond our control. That includes acts of nature and goof-off, head up arse drivers. That duty spikes on multilane highways and particularly anywhere near entrance / exit ramps. In our situational radar we need to include any upcoming open space in traffic. Consider it to be a vacuum which will be filled. Even a righteous lane change 5 or 6 cars ahead and 2 lanes over will kick off a game of musical lanes.

Sorry you had to go through that TaubBaer. Glad it was a low consequence lesson and I'm pretty sure you won't get caught up like that again. Just don't count on any other driver or rider doing it right.
Webfors, Motorpsychology and mtl like this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode