DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

2Likes
  • 1 Post By offnote
  • 1 Post By Beachbum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

instrument trim panel

I would like to remove the trim to route my gps wire for the adventure tech gps mount. It looks like four push rivets will do the trick....is there more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-22-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

must have been a silly question
post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hey Beachbum, not silly but maybe not easy. The manual says to remove both side covers and the front tank cover before removing the meter. It doesn't address just the cover for the meter, which I think is all you're trying to remove. Go figure. The big plastic panel with the power receptacle in it is called the Meter Panel. It appears to just have 4 push pins, but may have 2 more under the side covers. Clear as mud. Sorry, I can't help much without taking mine apart to see! Best, DD

post #4 of 10 Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubldee17 View Post
Hey Beachbum, not silly but maybe not easy. The manual says to remove both side covers and the front tank cover before removing the meter. It doesn't address just the cover for the meter, which I think is all you're trying to remove. Go figure. The big plastic panel with the power receptacle in it is called the Meter Panel. It appears to just have 4 push pins, but may have 2 more under the side covers. Clear as mud. Sorry, I can't help much without taking mine apart to see! Best, DD
thanks for the info. Looks like I need a service manual
post #5 of 10 Old 10-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

If I remember right it is the 4 push pins and a couple screws down low on each side. the two side covers do have to come off to get to it all....again, if I remember right. Not a hard job and once you have all the fasteners out you just pop the instrument panel apart.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

this is easy to do.
1) remove the four push pins (2 left, 2 right) in front of the gas tank
2) remove the 2 push pins at the top of the dash panel
3) remove the 4 silver bolts (2 left, 2 right) under the front of the silver trim with the word v-strom on it
4) remove the 2 silver trims by wobbling the end by the gas tank until it pops out. Then push the whole thing gently forward and it'll pop off
5) remove the 2 screws (1 left, 1 right) that fasten the dash panel to the side trims
6) using a panel pry (or screwdriver) unclip the dash from its housing
7) pull the dash forward to pop off an internal rubber fastener

done!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzer502 View Post
this is easy to do.
1) remove the four push pins (2 left, 2 right) in front of the gas tank
2) remove the 2 push pins at the top of the dash panel
3) remove the 4 silver bolts (2 left, 2 right) under the front of the silver trim with the word v-strom on it
4) remove the 2 silver trims by wobbling the end by the gas tank until it pops out. Then push the whole thing gently forward and it'll pop off
5) remove the 2 screws (1 left, 1 right) that fasten the dash panel to the side trims
6) using a panel pry (or screwdriver) unclip the dash from its housing
7) pull the dash forward to pop off an internal rubber fastener

done!
you are calling this easy ???
mozzer502 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

maybe not easy but very informative! thanks to all
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2019, 06:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
maybe not easy but very informative! thanks to all
It sounds harder than it really is. Seriously, sliding those plastic trim pieces forward was about the hardest part on mine as they were kind of tight and I was paranoid that I would break the tabs off. Once you do it you realize how easy it is. That is a good time to drop a nice LED low beam bulb in while you're there too.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEXT View Post
It sounds harder than it really is. Seriously, sliding those plastic trim pieces forward was about the hardest part on mine as they were kind of tight and I was paranoid that I would break the tabs off. Once you do it you realize how easy it is. That is a good time to drop a nice LED low beam bulb in while you're there too.
Just installed the Adventure Tech GPS mount and routed the wiring through the instrument panel trim, and it IS easy. I would offer a picture but I am an elderly flatulate with a flip phone. I have a digital camera but it eats batteries the way I eat candy corn so I'll leave ir to your imagination.
MAINEXT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode