• 4 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By Ratchet
  • 1 Post By branthopolis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Adjusting chain slack

Hey all -

I adjusted slack within spec per the manual but when I spin wheel on center stand there's a ever-so-slight rub of brake pad to disc (at least I thin it's the brake pad). I used a flat metal gauge to line up both sides and got it about as perfect as possible. The rub noise may have been there all along since I bought it new in June but I failed to check it before I adjusted it. I did eye-ball the original setting before I started and to my naked eye both sides of the adjustor 'tab' looked identical. I got my wife's eagle eye to double check me as well! To be sure I'm going to go Harbor Freight and get one of their digital calipers to get both sides exact.

My question is if both sides on the adjuster end up measuring exact distance and I still have a slight rub is that ok? Like I said it may have been doing that all along.

Also, if I need to increase the slack do I just turn adjust screw counter-clockwise and then lightly tap wheel with a rubber mallet to push it forward some and then re-do the process except using the digital gauge?

Thanks!

2019 DL650-XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
That is completely normal. The hydraulic pressure pushes the pad against the disk - but there is no mechanism to withdraw the pad away from the disk, and so it rubs a little.

Do not get over enthusiastic with keeping the chain at minimum slack as the chain can stretch differently at different places along the chain. Most here use 30-40mm, rather than the manuals 20-30mm. A little loose is far better than a little tight.

Yes, if you tighten it too much release the adjusters and knock the tyre with a rubber mallet. I also habitually kneel with my knee on the tyre as I begin to torque up the axle. Always recheck chain slack after tightening the axle.

Be wary of galling the axle nut and thread. Experience here has found that a smear of Coppercote or grease on the thread, and tightening to only 55-60 ft/lbs is secure while avoiding "galling", (damage to the nut or axle).

Once a new chain and sprockets are bedded in frequent adjustments should not be necessary.

This is a good video EXCEPT that you should not trust the swingarm notches for alignment, as they can be unreliable.
Use this https://www.tru-tension.com.au/produ...ey-motorcycle/ or this https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0048 to align the chain, or string line the wheels.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #3 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Adjust the chain by sighting from the rear along the top of the sprocket down the chain. It should appear straight. Or you can get a Motion-Pro chain adjust tool - nothing more than a little clamp w/ a long rod that lies along the top of the chain when the clamp is placed on the rear sprocket. This makes aligning the rear wheel very easy. Using calipers and adjusting by measuring the distance from the end of the swing arm is not the correct way to do this. As said above, the markings are only guide and cannot be trusted. Similarly, the swing arm legs might not be the same length or the caps might not seat properly.
jerryscove likes this.

Last edited by Ratchet; 10-20-2019 at 09:16 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

That last sentence is what I do. Get the right slack and eyeball for straightness. Given enough mounts over enough time and it kinda becomes second nature. I usually get 25K plus from chain and sprockets.
A bit of rubbing of the disk is normal but it should rotate freely when turned by hand.
More slack in the chain is better than a tight chain.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 02:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

All the above is good info. Taking the chain guard off only takes a few minutes and gives you a good look down the chain. When it looks good it's straight. The gauges are cheap and work very well. https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-chain-alignment-tool Having that bit of rub is normal. As you get up to speed it smacks the pad pushing the piston in a bit and then the pads float a hair away from the disc.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Great advice, thanks everyone

2019 DL650-XT
post #7 of 7 Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
A little loose is far better than a little tight.
Depends on what you're discussing...

V-Stroms likes a loose chain though...
Motorpsychology likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode