StromTrooper banner

Thinking about new fork springs

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Rednaxs60 
#1 ·
It's well known that the standard fork springs on the 650 are pretty soft.
i'm 255 lbs and the racetech site says i need about 1 kg/mm front springs.
do you guys think it's about right?

another question, racetech springs are non progressive, while most other offers i find are progressive (Wilbers, Hagon,Wirth and few more) the progressive ones do not show rates - i guess because they are progressive:bom_stunned:
So... should i go with progressive on non?

A friend told me to "just put a longer spacer and heavier oil instead of replacing the springs", what's the general opinion on that?

Thanks
Eran

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I have/installed .95 Racetech springs earlier this Summer, but I highly recommend instead you go with Sonic springs. They are pre cut for our bikes and not universal kits, just reuse the stock spacers. I too thought of going progressive, but folks who know MUCH more than I do about suspensions, all said to go with straight rate springs. The difference it has made in the handling of my bike is very noticeable, it is so planted now and has no pogo nose dive like it used to. Ride can be a bit harsh depending on road conditions, I will likely opt for intimidators or emulators in near future.

#5 ·
Adding a longer spacer will not make the existing springs stronger it'll only add preload to the existing spring. Using thicker fork oil slows the rebound as it moved more slowly through the holes in the damper rod. While these are band-aid fixes at 255lbs stiffer springs matched to the right weight oil is going to get you the best results. Well that's not totally true either. For best result adding in either Racetech Gold Valve or Ricor Intiminators to the properly rated springs matched fork oil will go a long way in modernizing your front suspension. It also would not hurt to install a for brace. The long think fork legs of the DL have a lot of flex. A fork brace goes a long way in minimizing this and making the front end much more planted in turns.

#6 ·
For best result adding in either Racetech Gold Valve or Ricor Intiminators to the properly rated springs matched fork oil will go a long way in modernizing your front suspension. It also would not hurt to install a for brace. The long think fork legs of the DL have a lot of flex. A fork brace goes a long way in minimizing this and making the front end much more planted in turns.
I second the notion. At 160 lbs the stock spring rate & weigh oil work for me (not a 255 pounder), but the Gold Valve Emulators were a definite improvement.

The folks at Ted Porter's Beemer shop have sorted out the suspension on my last 3 bikes (not all Beemers). Give them a call. At the very least you'll get free advice on your options plus a quote.

#7 ·
0.95 springs and 10w fork oil are what you need. I would do that first before trying anything else, if you later decide valving changes are needed you'll still want to have the right spring rate in there.
Either Race-Tech or Sonic springs are fine, both are quality straight-rate springs.

I used to own Sonic Springs so I'm a little partial to them, and the current owner is a very knowledgeable guy, so that would be my vote.

#8 · (Edited)
Do you ride pavement or unpaved as well? Sitting or standing? If you don't ride standing single rate is just fine.

IIRC Progressive brand fork springs are dual rate 0.70kg/mm on soft and 1.16kg/mm on hard. I had used them but for my 155lbs they were too stiff.. the sweet spot was ~1/4 turn on preload; hard to dial in it would be next to impossible without adjustable caps. If I were doing it again would have gone with HyperPro both front and back the transition on them is much wide, while the rates are similar 0.7/1.17kg/mn. Rear worked beautifully from solo unloaded to 2up+luggage, from 180 to 435lbs.

#12 ·
#14 ·
IMHO - You should complete your registration so that people will know your location. When complete, your location should appear with your avatar. That will allow people to modify their recommendations to your location.
:thumbup:

Reactions: RestoRider2017
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.