Shad 23 Side Case on my '18 650XT - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Shad 23 Side Case on my '18 650XT

So installation of the Shad 3P rack/mounting system went really well on my '18 Wee, Including drilling out the 2 holes to accommodate the supplied spacers. The racks just "disappear" on the sides of the bike. Very nice!

Installation of the side cases was going great until I discover the lids hit the passenger grab bars and won't close. I need another 3/8"-1/2" for the lids to clear and latch. I'm thinking longer spacers and screws. Any other thoughts or experience with this dilemma?

The cases are perfect for my needs. I just need to get past this installation dilemma. Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

With the Shad rack kit, did you get two different length spacers for a total of four spacers of each length? And also some longer screws too?

For my 1000, I read the directions carefully regarding these spacers. Shad says that the SH23 side cases require to use two spacers wtih the longest of the screws to space the rack further from the center of the motorcycle. I was a rebel and only used the longer of the spacers and the case covers will clear my rack.

And yes, the SH23 cases are very good- sturdy, nice size, good looking, don't restrict the passenger, etc. I also chose the SH48 top case for its excellent back rest pad set.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.

Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 09-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Nope! Just one set of 4 spacers and 4 screws. And they're too dang short. lol
Some additional, longer spacers and screws would have been great. I guess I'm on my own to find them at a hardware store.
Thanks for the positive comments on the cases. They really are just what I wanted.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

The instruction sheet for your bike says you should have two different length spacers. If not, call up Shad USA and see if they can send the longer spacers and screws to you.

Here is the link to your instruction sheet. Scroll to the bottom and see the page on the SH23.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/22...76937110526828
RestoRider2017 likes this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Shad 23s are excellent as is the mounting system....and you can always grab the larger s36 for more space. Well made and love the top load for the money

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #6 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

What they said!!! Should have been 4 longer spacers and corresponding bolts!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190712_161032.jpg (461.7 KB, 20 views)
post #7 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Yup as they said above. You got the Euro hardware and not the state side issue. Call them they are in Miami.

I have the exact same bags and mine clear the grab rail without issues. And mine came with both sets of hardware.

Mine have been on the bike for almost a year and have worked perfectly locks as well all work fine.

2017 DL 650 , The Bible of Mods - Amen , AMA member , RestoRides MotorSports CEO,

"I don't want a pickle - just wanna ride my motor-sickle"
post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1

Should have a total of 8 spacers. A set of long and a set of short with the corresponding bolts. I love my SH23
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
For the added carry capacity and ease of use, Removal is just seconds. light weight, Can't be beat, Price is not bad either.

I added some bungy hooks to the lids in 4 spots so I can attach a net accross the rear portion of the seat ,all the way accross both bags.

I can carry large items, Even a small tent. Very useful. When not in use it fit's right in the bottom of the shad 23.

2017 DL 650 , The Bible of Mods - Amen , AMA member , RestoRides MotorSports CEO,

"I don't want a pickle - just wanna ride my motor-sickle"
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I had the exact same issue with the case lids hitting the grab bar. Went to the hardware store and bought longer bolts and several washers which installed easily. From what I am reading here I guess I didn't receive the right hardware. That being said, I love everything about the side cases. Taking them on and off is a breeze and they hold plenty for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode