"Pop" sound from engine area - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes
  • 1 Post By kingmabg
  • 1 Post By richlandrick
  • 1 Post By Motorpsychology
  • 1 Post By vboost
  • 1 Post By RhythmJunkie
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By branthopolis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

"Pop" sound from engine area

Hi, I own a 2019 650XA with a little over 4k km. Everything was going well with the new bike but recently this has been happening almost always.
After I either stop suddenly or decelerate to a stop, the first time I accelerate, the motorcycle pops (like a small backfire) but from the engine area. It runs normal (I think) after that but I feel like it's getting more and more frequent.

When it started it was due to a hard braking or deceleration, now if I stop normally it will still "pop".

Anyone has any Idea what it could be or if it's normal? This is my first motorcycle so I might be overreacting.

Thank you in advance!

(I leave a picture of her to brighten your day)

Enviado do meu SNE-LX1 através do Tapatalk
andrep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Popping on decel is normal. Popping from the engine upon restart is not. Take it to the dealer before the warranty expires.
kingmabg likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
It doesn't sound normal to me. There are several people on this forum that can probably tell you exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, but if it was my bike I would still have it fixed under the warranty. Because you say the problem is getting worse,I would recommend not riding it anymore until you get it checked out by an authorized dealer.
My 2 cents
kingmabg likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius

post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

potentially loose bolts connecting engine with exhaust?
Brockie likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm interested in what you find out about this issue, it sounds similar to things I've noticed on mine. Occasionally if I coast holding the clutch, when I get back on the throttle to match revs for whatever gear I'm now in, I get that little pop/backfire. The bike also stalls occasionally the very first time I start moving on some mornings, not sure if that's related...

My issue never got more frequent and I figured it'd be a nightmare troubleshooting it. The dealership said they'd have to charge me if it wasn't found, but then I could be covered beyond the warranty if it ever was... With how infrequent it is I never had it checked out and my warranty just expired.

Best of luck, and I hope we can get some useful information on what seems to be a currently unknown issue.
kingmabg likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Popping on de-acceleration and throttle opening is normally associated with a leaking exhaust system as cold, oxygen rich air is drawn into the exhaust where it mixes with the super hot exhaust plus a little unburnt fuel.
Big B and vboost like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmJunkie View Post
I'm interested in what you find out about this issue, it sounds similar to things I've noticed on mine. Occasionally if I coast holding the clutch, when I get back on the throttle to match revs for whatever gear I'm now in, I get that little pop/backfire. The bike also stalls occasionally the very first time I start moving on some mornings, not sure if that's related...

My issue never got more frequent and I figured it'd be a nightmare troubleshooting it. The dealership said they'd have to charge me if it wasn't found, but then I could be covered beyond the warranty if it ever was... With how infrequent it is I never had it checked out and my warranty just expired.

Best of luck, and I hope we can get some useful information on what seems to be a currently unknown issue.
Since the day I posted this the issue has been gone.
The only factor that changed since then is the weather which is hotter again. So I'm going to wait till the temperature drops again and see if it comes back, if it does I'll be able to reproduce the problem when I take her to the dealership.

I'll be sure to get back to you with my findings.

Enviado do meu SNE-LX1 através do Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
When I first got my bike last year the dealership told me to bring it back after 2 weeks to have all the hardware checked
and retightened this included the exhaust headers as well. Which I did and everything has been fine.

did you do a similar thing ? Did the dealer you purchased from say anything about this ?

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.
AMA member, RestoRides MotorSports CEO

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-02-2019, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider2017 View Post
When I first got my bike last year the dealership told me to bring it back after 2 weeks to have all the hardware checked

and retightened this included the exhaust headers as well. Which I did and everything has been fine.

did you do a similar thing ? Did the dealer you purchased from say anything about this ?
I did the standard 1K km maintenance, which came in less than 2 weeks so maybe that's the same thing?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Check if a throttle body has pulled out of its boot... Total stab in the dark, but I've had it happen on an older SV650...

Engines can pop/backfire through the intake if something is way out of whack and a de-booted carb/throttlebody can do that.
kingmabg likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250

Last edited by branthopolis; 10-02-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode