Smart Turn System Install and Trouble Shooting Help - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ok, I contacted STS and they concurred that it was a power issue. They suggested trying something that has 12v power after the engine is on. I thought that was self explanatory. I disconnected from the headlight and reconnected the positive lead to the horn wire. Everything works as expected, even when the bike is on, up until the point the horn is activated. Then the system stops working. In order to get it working again I have to cycle the kill switch. As long as I donít activate the horn, the system works as expected. Iíd rather not have to kill the engine on the interstate to get the signals to work again if I need to activate the horn while changing lanes. I need to find 12v power that doesnít get interrupted and these are the wires left in the harness I havenít tried: Yellow/Green (mode switch), Pink (select switch), Green (mode switch), and Black/Yellow (clutch switch). What I may end up doing is running the power back to my Eastern Beaver PC-8 since I have extra fuses. Any feedback appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 V-Strom 650 XT - Champion Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for sharing Rustlr, very helpful as I'm wiring one up in my '14 Vee. Early days, just identifying the wires. But wonder if should access power via my relay block as well. Presume 15A be appropriate just like the turn signal fuse? Presume black and white in the white harness is ground on the V as well as the W - anyone confirm?
post #13 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlr63 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you recall what wire you used to tap power?
I'm out of town for a couple of days and am not with the bike. Can't recall as it was last year.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I tried installing one on my ST 1300 and ran into problems. Their customer service was less than stellar and other ST owners experienced the same problems. They ended up sending me a replacement unit that I did not install. I simply have learned to hit the cancel button on the turn switch.

That said, the STS is a fairly sophisticated device that uses accelerometers to determine when the bike is moving and turning If you do a gradual lane change, you can defeat the device and your signals will keep flashing. Make deliberate turns and lane changes (not always possible) and the unit will work fine.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Smart Turn System Install and Trouble Shooting Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
I'm out of town for a couple of days and am not with the bike. Can't recall as it was last year.

Thank you I would be good to know just so I could identify what I did wrong. I wound up running the power straight back to my fuse box and the system works correctly. I had extra slots available and figured it was easier to isolate power than worry about which wires would work best.

Last edited by Rustlr63; 09-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardDeR View Post
Thanks for sharing Rustlr, very helpful as I'm wiring one up in my '14 Vee. Early days, just identifying the wires. But wonder if should access power via my relay block as well. Presume 15A be appropriate just like the turn signal fuse? Presume black and white in the white harness is ground on the V as well as the W - anyone confirm?

I got it done and everything works correctly now. I am using a 7.5A fuse because u figured the signals donít use that big a load but can always swap it out. I ran both the power and ground to the fuse block so Iím not tapping any of the non signal related wires any longer.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-21-2019, 06:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I got the initial flash thing, then wired up the rest of it, but couldn't work out where to insert the little rubber pads in the switch block - underneath the black thing the lever sits in or on the sides of it?
post #18 of 18 Old 09-24-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardDeR View Post
I got the initial flash thing, then wired up the rest of it, but couldn't work out where to insert the little rubber pads in the switch block - underneath the black thing the lever sits in or on the sides of it?

Underneath. On the sides doesnít prevent the black box from moving. Out of curiosity, where did you tap power?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode