GPS / Phone Mount - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

GPS / Phone Mount

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a mount for either/both cellulare and GPS (using the screw). I've found various option and I've been heavily recommende the ball ram mount system. Problem is, I can't find which one would fit on the handle bar. There's multiple type of clamp (screw in, sandwich, v clamp). I'm thinking of buying one that screw sandwhich style and doesn't move (I'm not a fan of v clamp) but there's various sizing option and I can't find any info on the handlebar size. Does anyone have any ram mount system or know which one are compatible? What are other option I could consider?

I also saw from a third party some type of plate you put behind the windshield and it give a mounting bar or handlebar straight near the windshield, where you can attach to.

THank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Personally I prefer behind the windshield (in the middle) option. Have one on my 2015 and just installed my own made bracket on my 2017. It is not moving with the handlebars and it is just in front of you.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I prefer the phone mounted on a spring loaded adjustable Ram holder on a Ram ball mount on the left handle bar. That way I can easily reach the phone with my non-throttle hand and it doesn't block the instrument cluster.

I do not like the Ram X mounts because once you clip the phone in you need to put a rubber "keeper" over the 4 corners of the phone to keep it secure.
Macdoc likes this.

post #4 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Here is basically what I did. Get two of these and you will also have incorporated mirror extenders.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-360U

Then you will need two of these short arms.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-201U-A

You will need two of these to attach to the backs of your GPS holder and your phone holder.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-238U

Holder for a Garmin Nuvi 700 Series (or whatever GPS you have)

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA26U

Holder for your phone (whatever phone you have or get a universal RAM X-Mount)

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP25U

I have been using this system for many years and will never change.

Cheers,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS Mirror Mount.jpg (102.6 KB, 30 views)

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
post #5 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 PM
$tromtrooper

I agree with the mount on the handle bars. I mount it somewhat loosw on the right with a tall arm so I can move it to avoid any reflections.
I like it as I can adjust the distance so I can read the information.

I've never had to secure the phone tho I'm not doing off pavement. Many years with this mount and no issue tho I do have a case around the phone that gives the X-mount a bit more grip. The rubber straps are pretty non-invasive ...I've used them but didn't bother after while.
If you are riding in rough areas tho it is worthwhile.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #6 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
This one fits on the handlebar. I've got one on each bike
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Personally don't want it anywhere near my gauges. Any look at the phone for GPS purposes is pretty brief, mostly I just leave the sound turned up and listen to the voice prompts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1514.jpg (377.1 KB, 17 views)

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Last edited by oldjeep; 09-05-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wow got a lot of answer! I do prefer mount behind the windshield, but I can't find any ram one and I'm unsure if there's any ram compatible one.

I'm also unsure about the x-grip from Ram, it does look "cheap". While I see many good reviews, I also see lot of bad. I have a oneplus 7 pro with a case one, this thing is huge.

I'm unsure about the mirror mount, I'd like to have my phone away from rain / rock / wind, thus why I was thinking of installing it somewhere under the windshield away from the cluster.

@PerazziMx14 what phone mount do you use?

If I understand correctly, our handlebar is between 0.5 inch and 1inch diameter.

THanks everyone!
post #8 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 10:03 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodiaque View Post
Wow got a lot of answer! I do prefer mount behind the windshield, but I can't find any ram one and I'm unsure if there's any ram compatible one.

I'm also unsure about the x-grip from Ram, it does look "cheap". While I see many good reviews, I also see lot of bad. I have a oneplus 7 pro with a case one, this thing is huge.

I'm unsure about the mirror mount, I'd like to have my phone away from rain / rock / wind, thus why I was thinking of installing it somewhere under the windshield away from the cluster.

@PerazziMx14 what phone mount do you use?

If I understand correctly, our handlebar is between 0.5 inch and 1inch diameter.

THanks everyone!
7/8" diameter

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #9 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The size of your handle bars a 7/8 if they are stock.

I use a ram ball that replaces one of the 4 bolts that clamp the handle bars in place.

It can sometimes be hard to find room to clamp to the handle bars, my ball takes up no room on the bars and is a neat and tidy solution.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
The size of your handle bars a 7/8 if they are stock.

I use a ram ball that replaces one of the 4 bolts that clamp the handle bars in place.

It can sometimes be hard to find room to clamp to the handle bars, my ball takes up no room on the bars and is a neat and tidy solution.
Oh, that's nice! I saw the one for the mirror from a link up but is the bolt universal whatever the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode