unstable engine at steady 2200-2500 RPM - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 34
unstable engine at steady 2200-2500 RPM

If I drive with constant speed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear and around 2200-2500 RPMs, engine seems "erratic". Don't know exactly how say it, but in Denmark we call it "setting out". It is like the engine is not firing the same was on all ignitions even though load and speed is exactly the same.

Accellerating is just fine.

s this normal on a wee?

DK650A from 2017, 1500 KM

Regards, Lars.

Last edited by bonne; 09-05-2019 at 04:25 AM.
bonne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 09-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
K9 Wee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tidewater, Virginia
Posts: 421
Garage
Hi Lars -
Could this be slack in the throttle cables? The Wee has a very touchy throttle and the slightest input will make it seem "jerky" in response. This is amplified with slack in cables. Just a thought from what you described.

______________________
2009 Orange DL650
SW Motech Rally Crashbars, Skidplate & Centerstand
Givi e22L Sidecases
Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
K9 Wee is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 09-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,551
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne View Post
If I drive with constant speed in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear and around 2200-2500 RPMs, engine seems "erratic". Don't know exactly how say it, but in Denmark we call it "setting out". It is like the engine is not firing the same was on all ignitions even though load and speed is exactly the same.

Accellerating is just fine.

s this normal on a wee?

DK650A from 2017, 1500 KM

Regards, Lars.

The bike runs lean at smaller throttle openings makes the response touchy.

I would hazard to guess that you're lugging the motor in third at those RPMs.

The motor is much happier 4k and above. The only time I'm below 3k is in first going to second!
chicago and RestoRider2017 like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Spec is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 09-05-2019, 06:45 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Stalky Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sconsin, USA
Posts: 4,035
Garage
I'm with Spec. Mine is twitchy at low rpms too. Idles fine but try to run down the road at 2,000 rpm and twitchy/surgey/erratic. Been that way since new, cruises 3000-4000+ just fine.

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
__________________________________
2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650K
1986 Honda Shadow VT700C
1974 Suzuki TM-250
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80

Last edited by Stalky Tracker; 09-05-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Stalky Tracker is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
blaustrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: north east, Buffalo NY area
Posts: 2,655
Check the TPS setting. Quite a few are not set correctly from the factory. Make sure that the 650 specification is the same as the 1000 in this thread:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-3.html
Cryoman likes this.

....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
blaustrom is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
The bike runs lean at smaller throttle openings makes the response touchy.

I would hazard to guess that you're lugging the motor in third at those RPMs.

The motor is much happier 4k and above. The only time I'm below 3k is in first going to second!
You think so? As long as you do not put engine load on the bike at those RPM's, I think it is ok. It does not sound as it is struggeling. If I am accelerating, I would certainly downshift.

Do you run it in 4K even if no load on engine?

Regards, Lars.
bonne is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
Spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gateway to Death Valley
Posts: 3,551
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne View Post
You think so? As long as you do not put engine load on the bike at those RPM's, I think it is ok. It does not sound as it is struggeling. If I am accelerating, I would certainly downshift.

Do you run it in 4K even if no load on engine?

Regards, Lars.


I don't know why you would want to be in third at 2.5k RPM.

OK you shift down if you want to accelerate but why not be in second at 1k RPM higher? The motor will be much smoother and more responsive.
Big B, Webfors and RestoRider2017 like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

Last edited by Spec; 09-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Spec is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 26
It should feel erratic around 2250 - 2500 RPMs, the motor isn't designed to operate in that range. The fuel is quite lean in that rpm range. I find the minimum engine speed for the Vstrom/SV650 is 3500 RPMs.
Webfors likes this.
gorbulan is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
DonOhio45813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 397
A TB sync may help too, but lugging it in 3rd is begging for the herky-jerkies!
DonOhio45813 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 09-13-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I don't know why you would want to be in third at 2.5k RPM.

OK you shift down if you want to accelerate but why not be in second at 1k RPM higher? The motor will be much smoother and more responsive.
Yes, of coarse it will be more responsive in that RPM. When cruising at low speed I do not need responsiveness. The higher RPM will make more noise, use more gas and sound more aggressive. That is not what I need.

I want to drive in the correct RPMs and of coarse I do not want to overload the engine. Would you say what I am doing is wrong? I just consulted the owners manual. It says "shift to 3rd at speed 34 km/t" which I recall is not far from 2500 RPMs - I will check the next time I drive 34 km/t.

Regards, Lars.
bonne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome