Need advice on wiring heated seat - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes
  • 3 Post By Grimmer
  • 1 Post By Ratchet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Need advice on wiring heated seat

Hi guys, one thing I am NOT good at is electrical. I installed the Tusk seat heater kit on my new Seat Concepts seat - see my review thread. The main leads are flat loops that would fit perfectly on the battery. There is an on/off switch with two power levels - so if I did hook it up directly to the battery and REMEMBER to turn it off when the bike is off I'm fine. However the instructions say its better to hook it up to power that is activated by the ignition switch for obvious reasons. Does anyone know if there is a circuit that will work only when the bike is running and how much power it can handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 10:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
There are lots of switched power circuits. One of the most commonly used is the tail marker light (probably because Eastern Beaver sells a ready made harness to tap into it - although I'm not positive he has one for the newest gen DL650 yet). The switched circuits generally don't handle a ton of load and a portion of the load capacity is already dedicated to the bike's original circuit, so the prevailing advice is to use the switched circuit to activate the coil on a relay (low power - basically negligible) so that the relay's main taps (high power) can deliver straight from the battery to your device. Then when you turn off the key, the relay opens and cuts the power to your added gizmo(s).

Eastern Beaver also sells ready made add-on fuse blocks with switched and non switches taps so you can add all your electronic farkles through it. Nice concept, a bit pricey though. If you plan on adding several electrical farkles, you should look into it and decide if it would be worth it for you.
notacop, NVDucati and Baldspot like this.

Last edited by Grimmer; 08-30-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 10:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Depending on what you are planning to add, consider Eastern Beaver's PC8 and harness. This will give you 6 fused circuits that switch on with the ignition, and two that are always on. Plenty of power for additional lights, electronics, etc.
Baldspot likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks guys I'll check it out!
post #5 of 10 Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
, so the prevailing advice is to use the switched circuit to activate the coil on a relay (low power - basically negligible) so that the relay's main taps (high power) can deliver straight from the battery to your device. Then when you turn off the key, the relay opens and cuts the power to your added gizmo(s).
Think of the relay as a electrically activated "on" switch.
As Grimmer says, because this "switch" uses a tiny amount of power you can connect it to a tiny wire, like the tail light. Inside the relay cube is a more hearty set of wires that make the connection from battery to the higher power need such as a heated seat.

For $5 you can get one with the pigtail wires already done for you. Like this one

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #6 of 10 Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldspot View Post
Hi guys, one thing I am NOT good at is electrical.
There is some excellent motorcycle electrical advice for hooking up relays, aux fuse boxes, etc.... at Electrical Items - LDRiders It may be helpful.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-31-2019, 10:34 AM
$tromtrooper

I'll give a plug for the eastern Beaver fuse panel. Very well done, and if you plan on adding a lot more accessories...like grips, lights, etc the best approach Imho.

Bob S 2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2018 Yamaha WR250R
1984 Honda VF 500f Maybe more coming up from the lower list
Previous loves:
2017 Yamaha YZ250X
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca 1978 Honda CB550
1974 Suzuki GT380 1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (Bought while Mom was out of town)
post #8 of 10 Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Guys I really appreciate the explanations and it makes total sense to me. I'll look into a relay!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
Think of the relay as a electrically activated "on" switch.
As Grimmer says, because this "switch" uses a tiny amount of power you can connect it to a tiny wire, like the tail light. Inside the relay cube is a more hearty set of wires that make the connection from battery to the higher power need such as a heated seat.

For $5 you can get one with the pigtail wires already done for you. Like this one
I just ordered the relay from Amazon - looks like the perfect item, thanks! PS: I'll probably be back to make sure I wire it properly!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

how many WATTs takes such heated seat?

BTW I don't know why we're wasting so much heat coming from the engine...
Just to add mechanical switch which would redirect heat under the seat and job done using free heat

Last edited by offnote; 09-02-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode