StromTrooper banner

Low oil??

11K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  Baldspot 
#1 ·
I bought a new 2019 650XT a month ago. At 650 miles, I took it to the dealership for the first service. I did not inspect it afterwards. I put another 350 miles on it.

This morning, I rode to work and noticed the Oil light came on. I looked in the oil window and there's no oil in there, at all. Like, not low. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any leaking. No oily residue around the plug... No other signs I can see.

Is burning oil a problem with this model?

All insights would are welcome.

#6 ·
That is a common newbie mistake but if his light came on while he was riding there is a real problem.

I just had my first service done at the dealer .. I dont know .. I got them to throw it in with the bike and I kind of thought it might be important to do in case there were ever a warranty issue (yes I know its silly)

outside of that .. I dont usually let them touch my bikes. Oil change is a 10 minute affair and I like to change the filter at each oil change and I have a particular oil I am very fond of.

I am a little concerned because there is so much electronic stuff on this bike that I am unfamiliar with but I will continue to try and do everything myself.

The 650 vee seems to take an awful small amount of oil but most of these wet sump engines can survive a flashing oil light just with the oil that is sloshing around in there but I wouldn't ride it again until I topped it up and like big boy said .. Make sure its standing upright when you check the oil.

Bummer .. I am sure your heart sank .. be sure to tell the service manager. I wouldnt want to get anyone fired but someone needs a little reeducation.

#3 ·
Burning oil wouldn't account for that much drop in level. Odds are they under-filled it and it just happened to drop below the level the pump needs to suck oil.

Don't ride it with the light coming on. Add some oil before riding and talk to the dealership. Somebody goofed.

..Tom

#4 ·
Just keep in mind how to accurately check the oil level. The bike must be warm, then let it sit for 10ish minutes so it can all drain down to bottom, then look at the sight glass while it's upright.

And if you've just changed the oil filter you need to run the bike for a minute to fill the filter with oil, then remember to let the bike rest for a few before checking.

#11 ·
Just keep in mind how to accurately check the oil level. The bike must be warm, then let it sit for 10ish minutes so it can all drain down to bottom, then look at the sight glass while it's upright.
No, the oil does not need to be warm. It doesn't hurt but there is no reason to have warm oil to check the level.

Changing the oil: yes Warm oil is best.
Checking the oil: Makes no matter.

..Tom

#5 ·
Looks like another bad review from bringing it to the dealer.

They probably filled it 1/2 way with a new filter and it wasn't enough. Sure hope the oil light didn't stay on more than a minute or so.

How much did it cost?

#9 ·
Pressure. I don't think too many bikes (or cars) have oil level lights or gauges. I don't know why, because a low oil pressure light's warning comes a little later than is completely useful.

My BMW R1200RT has an oil level indicator on the dash - probably because they've hidden the sight glass in a place that is barely accessible.

#10 ·
Please don't turn this into an oil thread!

Mod comment:

Please don't turn this into an oil thread. If you want to talk about brands of oil etc please do it in the oil thread.

..Tom

#13 ·
Mod comment:

Please don't turn this into an oil thread. If you want to talk about brands of oil etc please do it in the oil thread.

..Tom
Your not allowed to mention that brand you use?! Jeez a little strict there Tom. I don't care who uses what. I only mentioned the brand as it relates to cost of an oil change when you change 4 qts.

Meh .. its your house your rules but over moderation sucks on all boards.

#19 ·
Three minutes may not get the oil to maximum temperature, but should get hot enough expand some. Thats probably why the manual says "between the L and F mark". Allow for a bit more expansion if its going to happen.
In any case, the 650 takes 2.7 liters w/filter, so I just put that much in and go for it. (Yes, I have double checked in the sight glass, and that comes to exactly on the F mark.)

But to the point of the original post, something was done wrong at the shop. I would request a complete check, including compression test and oil pressure test, at the shops expense.

#20 ·
Yeah, sorry to hear this. This experience needs to become part of the dealer's service records of your bike in case there is a problem later. Suzuki needs to hear about it, too. The service manual shows the range of normal oil pressure at 29-87 psi @ 3000RPM and 140 degrees F. That's a big range, but within legendary Smokey Yunick's theoretical 10psi at idle + 10psi for each 1000RPM. There's a good chance you're OK. It does need to be drained and accurately measured to see how much they (obviously) left out. The difference between the quantity for oil change (2.5 qts) and oil and filter change (2.7 qts) is less than 10%, probably not enough to trigger the pressure light unless the bike is leaned over. If my logic is wrong here please correct me. Maybe RealShelby will jump in here.

So, I'd measure the amount of oil it takes to bring the level to the normal level and document it on camera. Then I'd raise all unholy hell, but not worry too much just yet. I'm sorry to hear another dealer has joined the suspect list, at the expense of a rider who was just trying to do the right thing. Best, DD

#24 ·
My BMW's never seemed to show less when the oil was cold.

Older BMWs needed to be allowed to rest on the side stand for a few minutes, then put on center stand. This allowed the oil cooler to drain into the sump. They are not dry sump engines. Once on the center stand, a glance at the oil window would give an accurate gauge of oil level.

Many owners would add a bit as it seemed low, but then it would be over full. This was due to not allowing the oil cooler to drain back into the sump. Once you owned the bike a while, you could go directly to the center stand and although it might be a bit below halfway on the window, you knew it was going to be spot on allowing for the oil cooler volume.

Being in the clutch basket business for V STroms, I often get asked about what brand oil to use. My response is "enough"! In my opinion, if you can see the oil in the sight glass when the bike is level, it is probably safe to ride. Over filling isn't good, as it can put more pressure on seals and force oil mist into the airbox. Not rocket science. Get it close to right and it is good to go. Just check it often.....

This post has been deleted
#27 · (Edited)
Page 7-20. 2018 Suzuki V-Strom: Check the oil with the bike on a level surface ON THE SIDESTAND.
Run at idle for 3 minutes then let it sit for 3 minutes before checking.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "check the oil with the bike upright" stuff.
You're mistaken. Read your manual again. I posted a screen shot from the manual earlier in this thread which says to hold the bike "vertically" when checking the level.

Sounds like your bike is waaaaay overfilled. I'd quickly fix that.

All our bikes lean at different angles on their side stands due to different tire types, tire wear, suspension preload, ride height mods, etc. Because of this they wouldn't ask people to read a side stand level.

#28 ·
Sounds kinda dangerous checking the window hunched over while the bike is balanced level. Could get away from you. Does the centre stand get it close to accurate? I think I will make note of the position on the window at the next oil change after putting in the specified amount while on he centre stand

#29 ·
Should be, the problem is that the centerstand is an option so they can't say - check it on the centerstand

#36 ·
Just a guess. Since a three-minute idle won't significantly heat the oil, there may be an anti-drainback check valve for the oil cooler. With age those sometimes leak oil back into the crankcase. If your bike is sitting long that may make your oil level appear higher through the site window unless you idle the motor enough to fully fill the cooler.

Idling three minutes should do it. The manual says idle on the sidestand! Maybe they don't want to tire you out holding your bike upright for three whole minutes.☺

I usually crouch down next to the right side of the bike while it's on the sidestand, grab the right grip, and pull the bike vertical for a quick look. Even if I lose my grip, it just tilts back over onto the sidestand.

#40 ·
So I did a little experiment.

As you can see below, strictly following the 3 min idle + 3 min rest instructions in the manual gives a level that's actually lower than when read cold. The 3 min idle time brought the engine temp up to the second bar on the dash.

My oil level is tilted slightly wonky compared to the fill lines because my front end is lowered a little. The bike leans a little more forward on center stand as a result.

One day soon I'll add a 3rd pic showing hot oil with longer rest. This is full synth 10W40, FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.