Down the rabbit hole, or not? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

One thing I've adopted is not making an upgrade or purchase unless I actually NEED it.

For example, my wee came well setup. But I'd ride the seat that came with it until I knew for sure it was the limiting factor. Then I'd upgrade. Or I'd use the stock footpegs until I knew my legs wouldn't adjust, THEN I'd get a new setup.
Spec likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 08-20-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Mac and Crumb - thank you both. Mac, that tire point is particularly valid and valuable - that's where my inexperience really shows - I hadn't considered it, and my commute is very much a mix of paved 70 and 90 km/h twisties with lots of drops.

Alexi - that makes perfect sense, of course, but I'm a hopeless nut when it comes to modding stuff - I do it with everything...usually at great cost ;-)

A new contender has just jumped in the mix that may be of more interest - I have a dealership close to my house that carries Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda - I stopped in for a quick visit on the way home after starting this thread to check out a used KLR they have in stock. 15 minutes before I arrived they took back on a trade-in for a smaller machine a 2017 Honda CB500X with 6000kms on it. A lady bought it new there last year, put about 2 grand in farkles on it (panniers, crash bars and plates - all Givi, and a Scotts damper), and it's like new. They did all of the maintenance on it there (whetever it has needed over 6000 kms - lol) and it has one year of extended warranty left on it. They'll be posting it at 53 hundred by the end of the week, but the sales rep told me if I want to put a deposit on it for until my exam is done they'll put it away for me, and that there's room for negotiation given the time of season it is. This may be an interesting alternative.

Last edited by B-Nads; 08-20-2019 at 09:50 PM.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I was fortunate to get a bike where the PO was my height and just a bit heavier. He already lowered the foot pegs, added the side mirror extenders, changed the windshield, changed the seat to an All Day and added different side bags. The bike has the centre stand as well. There are other items, and a good perusal of the pictures confirmed what he had put in his add. I intend to get the Holeshot EFI Supertune Tuning Box, a 16 tooth front sprocket (juries out on this one), and the speedometer calibration box. Suspension may be on the horizon as well. The RR recall has been done and a new stator been installed. The upgrades for his size were the most important for me.

A good bit of perusing and viewing pics will get you what you want/need, as well as a good read of this and other forums regarding the VStrom.

Good luck. Cheers

post #14 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
A couple points I forgot to add are that I'm confident enough in my dirt-bike experience that I don't feel intimidated by going "off-pavement", as Shelby pretty accurately put it. I get the point of going used vs new, but I'll be financing the purchase either way, and I want something reliable to do the 120kms of daily commuting I have without worries.
I too am quite confident and comfortable in off highway/off road/off trail riding. Which is why I know the DL 650 is not the bike for a newer owner on anything that isn't more or less a road. Stabbing your foot down to catch the bike......doesn't work the same as it does with an old motocross or enduro bike! Now if you just wanted a weekend bike and were willing to install skid plates, block type tires, and so on, then the DL 650 can be flogged up some rather rough terrain.

The CB 500X you mentioned might be a really good choice for what you want. You are commuting far enough that I personally would not consider a KLR (owned one, commuted on it a few times....) or DR650 as they just suck on pavement at speed. The DL 650 is a GREAT commuter bike. I have no experience on the CB 500 X but know owners of them and they seem to be a really good bike for what you are asking.
Spec and B-Nads like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #15 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I too am quite confident and comfortable in off highway/off road/off trail riding. Which is why I know the DL 650 is not the bike for a newer owner on anything that isn't more or less a road. Stabbing your foot down to catch the bike......doesn't work the same as it does with an old motocross or enduro bike! Now if you just wanted a weekend bike and were willing to install skid plates, block type tires, and so on, then the DL 650 can be flogged up some rather rough terrain.

The CB 500X you mentioned might be a really good choice for what you want. You are commuting far enough that I personally would not consider a KLR (owned one, commuted on it a few times....) or DR650 as they just suck on pavement at speed. The DL 650 is a GREAT commuter bike. I have no experience on the CB 500 X but know owners of them and they seem to be a really good bike for what you are asking.
Appreciated - and I hope when I quoted it you it didn't come across as being smug - I literally mean your assessment of my off-roading being more off asphalt on reasonable trails than on truly demanding and technical OR was dead-on - for that I would set up a dedicated rig.

Yup - assessing my needs and wants, I'm pretty firmly set on one of the DL or the CB - the CB is even more interesting considering the RR kit that can be added if I decide in a year or two I'm ok with the power (or lack thereof), and the more I look at it, the 120km of twisties I do every day vs the fact that I will probably avoid the highway on bike anyway (too many idiots) makes the smaller, more flickable CB seem like a pretty good choice for starting out.
post #16 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Not smug at all! I am sometimes a bit too blunt, but sometimes that cuts through the BS that these threads evolve into on occasion. Highways vs twisties....well that depends. Highways with divided lanes, interstates are the safer roads to ride in my opinion. Rural two lanes have a lot of driveways and intersections. Both can be hard on motorcycle riders......

The fact that the Honda has so many of the things you want to add to your bike makes it hard to pass up. Sound like you are not worried about running 80 mph all the time either. I think the Honda would be hard to beat....unless you found a DL 650 with ABS and some accessories at a good price.
Big B and B-Nads like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #17 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

If I look into the used market, the two contenders are the fore-mentioned CB500X (I called, and it's actually a 2017 ABS model with the farkles and 6000 kms) for right around $5k

Option 2 is a 2014 V-Strom ABS with plastic side opening panniers, 26,000 kms, oil changes and extended warranty for $6.5k - both Canadian dollars.

In V-Stroms, the other reason I lean towards the newer model is the traction control and the fact that I much prefer the look - I'm not fond of the looks of the older Stroms.
Spec likes this.
post #18 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 06:26 PM
$tromtrooper

If you wait a bit, you might be able to pick up a new 2018 Vstrom for $7500 Cdn. That is what I paid last year for my 2017 in September from Newmarket Suzuki.No dealer prep charges or PDI. You also get a 5 year warranty with a new Suzuki. I bought mine early in Sept.

Bob S 2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2018 Yamaha WR250R
1984 Honda VF 500f Maybe more coming up from the lower list
Previous loves:
2017 Yamaha YZ250X
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca 1978 Honda CB550
1974 Suzuki GT380 1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (Bought while Mom was out of town)
post #19 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm keeping a weather eye on the prices - I've found a dealer not too far away who is down to $8200, but that's with a choice of the 5 year warranty or the pannier set. I don't see how they can not offer the 5 year warranty, but I'm more interested in what Motoplex will do since they have a sweet incentive plan beyond the warranty itself.
post #20 of 34 Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
2017 Honda CB500X with 6000kms on it. A lady bought it new there last year, put about 2 grand in farkles on it (panniers, crash bars and plates - all Givi, and a Scotts damper), and it's like new. They did all of the maintenance on it there (whetever it has needed over 6000 kms - lol) and it has one year of extended warranty left on it. They'll be posting it at 53 hundred by the end of the week, but the sales rep told me if I want to put a deposit on it for until my exam is done they'll put it away for me, and that there's room for negotiation given the time of season it is. This may be an interesting alternative.
That's a great deal if you fit the bike. I worry that it's a bit small for you. FWIW it will commute at 80 mph hour after hour. But it's a solo bike. The Rally Raid gear is pretty popular but not so cheap to add.
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/r...cb500x-review/

here's almost 900 pages of posts on the CB500x
https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-cb500x.840842/

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 08-21-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode