Just finished a trip from Toronto are to Montreal subs 1500km and almost 2 months in on my new 2018 DL 650 and here's my review and looking for some advice from more experienced riders. (We ride 2 up )
1) Back pain: I used to get stabbing pain on my upper back (between the shoulder blades) 15 minutes into the rides.
I installed the Zeta bar riser/offset without any cable mods and I can now ride about 100km without issues. After 1h or so, I get sore, same spot. I assume my position is not proper ...(vertically challenged). I'd love to have more offset and maybe a bit higher
2) Seat: I thought about ordering a low seat, but after riding the stock and getting painful after 100km, I decided to drop the idea. The low seat has even less foam, so probably even more uncomfortable. With the Zeta risers installed I can ride for 2 hours before I need to stop. And it get worse every hour...
I lowered the suspension to the max, and now can reach the ground better when 2 up. Alone I am comfortable enough just on my toes...(until I drop it )
If anyone has a stock seat available, I am thinking on buying one and install foam on it myself. It it is bad, at least I do not ruin my current seat.
3) Hands: I used to get numb fingers and pain in the wrist after 45mins or so. Installed grip puppies, and I might have cured the issue as I have a larger surface to grab and less vibration
4) Buffeting + noise: This is killing me. In Montreal I found a store that had the Givi Airflow in stock and I bought it as I was ready to give up on the return ride (that bad, but joking) Givi AF did make it better but only on the lowest setting, and below 110kmph
Buffeting move to my 2up. way worse than before. Bought new helmets, and ear plugs, but this is nightmare.
I also get a lot more wind on my elbow and upper arms, and when it is cold I can feel the arthritis setting in
Thinking on buying a Madstad instead. Anyone interested in a Givi let me know
5) Sidewinds: I wish I had the guts to get the 1000. 650 2 up in highway is too light. not enough power it seems sometimes, and behind a big truck or side winds I almost feel like being wiped from side to side.... Not sure how to fix this.
I did test a 1000 in Montreal, but it way too high for me
6) Side cases: Too little space for the back rider. No place to move the legs, knee pain after a long ride... I can fix this with replacing the cases with soft bags. I installed a top soft bag (love it) and offers a bit of backrest support for the back rider.
7) Consumption: 2 up, gear and cases 18km/L
8) Low RPM : Sometimes I get misfires at low RPM when I give it a little gas.....??? Especially when the bike is hot
9) Top heavy: I try to avoid full tank of gas in the city stop and go situations until I get more comfortable with the bike
All in all, love this bike, but I need to make it "my bike" so I can enjoy it. If my lady stops wanting to ride with me, my riding season will be dramatically shortened and probably less enjoyable...
Any feedback and advice highly appreciated!!!