2 Months and 4000km DL 650 2018 review - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach23101 View Post
Seat Concepts sells a foam seat kit with cover. I have 20K miles on mine and it makes a world of difference. Easy to install if you have a stout staple gun.
https://seatconcepts.com/collections...8+suz-vstrm650
I do have a staple gun, and it is on my to do list as an option.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
I do have a staple gun, and it is on my to do list as an option.
Thank you!
I tried recovering my YZ 250 seat with a number of staple guns. None I found could pierce the plastic. I have since learned that heating it up with a blow dryer or heat gun helps . I have tried seat concepts seats on a DRZ 400 and it was great.
mikedinoro likes this.

Bob S 2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2018 Yamaha WR250
1984 Honda VF 500f Maybe more coming up from the lower list
Previous loves:
2017 Yamaha YZ250X
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca 1978 Honda CB550
1974 Suzuki GT380 1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (Bought while Mom was out of town)
post #23 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

top heavy? LOL this bike is NOT top heavy at all.
too light for 2up highway? not at all, I've just got off the highway fully loaded with pillion yesterday.
buffeting? all fixable.
SKM348 likes this.

post #24 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
Maybe off your annoyance list but I just ordered a "cramp buster" off eBay from China for a dollar (US). Free shipping!
If it works I am a happy guy. If it is crap, at that price who cares? Spill 20% of a latte on the way to the car I'd be out the same amount.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach23101 View Post
Maybe off your annoyance list but I just ordered a "cramp buster" off eBay from China for a dollar (US). Free shipping!
If it works I am a happy guy. If it is crap, at that price who cares? Spill 20% of a latte on the way to the car I'd be out the same amount.
Not at all. I just got something similar for 12$, just came in, so never had time to test. As you said, if it works fine, if not, oh well....not the first 12$ I've thrown away on useless stuff
post #26 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offnote View Post
top heavy? LOL this bike is NOT top heavy at all.
too light for 2up highway? not at all, I've just got off the highway fully loaded with pillion yesterday.
buffeting? all fixable.
Thanks, I was simply reporting my perceptions
post #27 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
I tried recovering my YZ 250 seat with a number of staple guns. None I found could pierce the plastic. I have since learned that heating it up with a blow dryer or heat gun helps . I have tried seat concepts seats on a DRZ 400 and it was great.

Thanks, that's a good advice. I have a heat gun as well. I hope is not going to weaken the material though
post #28 of 29 Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, that's a good advice. I have a heat gun as well. I hope is not going to weaken the material though
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...7835p.html#srp

I have that guy and had no issues putting my Seat Concepts seat on my Vstrom or DRZ400 when I had it.

How are you making out with the bike?

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #29 of 29 Old 08-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Hello guys,

Just finished a trip from Toronto are to Montreal subs 1500km and almost 2 months in on my new 2018 DL 650 and here's my review and looking for some advice from more experienced riders. (We ride 2 up )

1) Back pain: I used to get stabbing pain on my upper back (between the shoulder blades) 15 minutes into the rides.
I installed the Zeta bar riser/offset without any cable mods and I can now ride about 100km without issues. After 1h or so, I get sore, same spot. I assume my position is not proper ...(vertically challenged). I'd love to have more offset and maybe a bit higher

2) Seat: I thought about ordering a low seat, but after riding the stock and getting painful after 100km, I decided to drop the idea. The low seat has even less foam, so probably even more uncomfortable. With the Zeta risers installed I can ride for 2 hours before I need to stop. And it get worse every hour...
I lowered the suspension to the max, and now can reach the ground better when 2 up. Alone I am comfortable enough just on my toes...(until I drop it )

If anyone has a stock seat available, I am thinking on buying one and install foam on it myself. It it is bad, at least I do not ruin my current seat.

3) Hands: I used to get numb fingers and pain in the wrist after 45mins or so. Installed grip puppies, and I might have cured the issue as I have a larger surface to grab and less vibration

4) Buffeting + noise: This is killing me. In Montreal I found a store that had the Givi Airflow in stock and I bought it as I was ready to give up on the return ride (that bad, but joking) Givi AF did make it better but only on the lowest setting, and below 110kmph
Buffeting move to my 2up. way worse than before. Bought new helmets, and ear plugs, but this is nightmare.
I also get a lot more wind on my elbow and upper arms, and when it is cold I can feel the arthritis setting in
Thinking on buying a Madstad instead. Anyone interested in a Givi let me know

5) Sidewinds: I wish I had the guts to get the 1000. 650 2 up in highway is too light. not enough power it seems sometimes, and behind a big truck or side winds I almost feel like being wiped from side to side.... Not sure how to fix this.
I did test a 1000 in Montreal, but it way too high for me

6) Side cases: Too little space for the back rider. No place to move the legs, knee pain after a long ride... I can fix this with replacing the cases with soft bags. I installed a top soft bag (love it) and offers a bit of backrest support for the back rider.

7) Consumption: 2 up, gear and cases 18km/L

8) Low RPM : Sometimes I get misfires at low RPM when I give it a little gas.....??? Especially when the bike is hot

9) Top heavy: I try to avoid full tank of gas in the city stop and go situations until I get more comfortable with the bike

All in all, love this bike, but I need to make it "my bike" so I can enjoy it. If my lady stops wanting to ride with me, my riding season will be dramatically shortened and probably less enjoyable...

Any feedback and advice highly appreciated!!!

Safe riding!

Mike

Im in NS and may be interested in the Givi screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode