StromTrooper banner

Interesting OEM tire???

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  tjosephtoo 
#1 ·
Greetings all...long time no see...lots happening...mostly good.

Today I was prepping my '17 XT for a fun 5 day camping trip around central Idaho when I noted that the tires seem to be wearing very well for OEM tires. Usually I get 6,000 out of the OEMs and then get tires that last 10,000, Like the Michelin PR4 and R5s I run on my other bikes. What do you all get on your Bridgestone Battlax OEMs? There is no easily descernable cupping I can see on the front and there is .120-.125 to the wear bar....I am not a hard rider but do spend some touring time at 75 mph or so....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. I didn't know that the Battlax came as an OEM. All I've ever seen are Trailwings and Battlewings. Maybe it's just on the XT.
My buddys 17 650 has Trailwings and 8800 mi.and enough tread left to do at least 2K more. My 18 1000 had 9500 when the rear(Battlewing) was prematurely removed for a trip.

Reactions: CoyoteChris
#4 ·
Chris- Just an FYI. Between Darby and Salmon there was a lot of road construction 10-12 days ago.
Great loop though, as most of it was included in my last trip.

#6 ·
I have been running mainly Trail Wings and the last set lasted 10thou rear and 14 thou front. Just switched to A 41s and they are a much better tire handling wise and wear a lot less when loaded for camping. Nice trip you have planned. Have almost popped across to do parts of it a few times with a buddy but work always got in the way.

#11 ·
OK, I am back. Front is now .070 to the wear bar after 1300 miles so should reach 8k. Will be shopping for tires maybe by the end of next year so I appreciate everyone's input. I am not agressive in the corners and like high millage and no cupping in front. The rear by the way seem to be holding up well. What does this sign mean?

Attachments

#7 ·
I have ruffly 15,000kms (9300miles) on my tires and the rear is just about done. Plan to try to finish the season on them and replace with either another set as I liked em or try Michelin anekee adventure

#8 ·
I bought my v strom 1000XT 2018, broke it in over the course of one week, serviced it and set off for California from PA. The oem tire impressed me with 8k-ish miles on it and I didn't need a tire change until I got back to PA. Not bad for an OEM tire! I typically get that with my PR4s or Heidenau k76's. The oem tire last over 3x longer than my Yamaha FJ09 oem tire...which lasted only about 2.5k miles.

#9 ·
I suspect the FJ09 had performance oriented tires on it. The Conti Road Attacks that I run on my FZ1 I expect to last maybe 3-4K miles max, but that is the price you pay for sticky tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.