rear rack? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kurtk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

rear rack?

The bike came with a tiny plastic rear rack. I understand ... I think .. that the rack is designed to work with the factory top box.

I don't know how since I dont see any special mounting spots but be that as it may .. I really dont like top boxes.

I do however like a spot to strap and tie down whatever junk I might be hauling. Is anyone using the factory rack as is. Are the little feet at the bottom supposed to act like bungie nuts.

Took me about 2+ hours but I did find this

https://www.pmracks.com/products.php...%20-%20Present

Is this the only company that has something like this and has anyone gone in this direction instead of top box.

Here is mine in case they have changed them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V3.JPG (899.7 KB, 12 views)

Alex
2019 V-Strom 650XT
1982 16v Suzuki GS 750E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

AdventureTech has got you covered. They have a rack already for newer wee, and from my experience with them would probably be willing to listen to alterterations to suit you.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I did, but it was a winter project and way too time consuming for the regular season.

I have been toying with the idea of making a DIY kit. Basically all the hardware/spacers/etc to mount your own plate.

Really it was the chamfering of slot edges that made the racks so time intensive. Without chamfering the edges I could still do them.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I went with the Givi top box and mounting kit.
Part of the kit reinforces the rack mounting by running struts from the rear of the oem rack down to the frame.
I don’t know whether any of the aftermarket plates do that but it would be worth considering depending on loads.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

portly,

What Givi rack was that?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hello @Boriqua
Please check the Sw Motech "adventure" rack. It may suit your need.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the PM rack and really like it. Well made ,good fit and easy to install with good hardware.
Boriqua likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtk View Post
I have the PM rack and really like it. Well made ,good fit and easy to install with good hardware.
I went ahead and ordered it and it should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Alex
2019 V-Strom 650XT
1982 16v Suzuki GS 750E
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I received and mounted my Precision Motorcycle "rack." There are not a whole lot of options for my year bike but the factory rack just would not due. I went to the river for a swim this weekend and was able to get exactly one pair of Chaco Sandals on there.

I go to the range 2-3 times a month and wanted something I could use to strap my range bag down to as I had been doing with my GS. I dont like top cases and would rather have something open ended that I can strap a variety of stuff too when traveling or just running to the post office with boxes.

The rack is 4.7 mm thick aluminum. It weighed in on my scale with hardware at about 2lb 10 ounces. Yea .. its a little heavy but not to bad and I can always stand to lose 3 lbs if that much were going to make or break the riding experience.

I was worried there would be flex but there is absolutely none. the thing is a rock solid plate. It comes with a ton of slots and holes so there are plenty places for straps and bungies and now I have some real options for locking my helmet.

I just couldnt get a sense of size when looking at their website or at the youtube vid. I wanted more space but I didnt want a huge appendage.

Because of the down turned sides and the taper from front to back it fits the bike very nicely and aesthetically It works for me. Whew .. I was certain I would hate it and go Function over form. It doesnt project beyond the grab rails which is nice.

I took a bunch of pix for you guys in case you are in need of a similar solution.

Porta photo album

Here is their site
https://www.pmracks.com/

If they had it for my bike I might have gone with the moose racing Expedition rack but without having used it a while I am pleased with the purchase.

Alex

Alex
2019 V-Strom 650XT
1982 16v Suzuki GS 750E

Last edited by Boriqua; 08-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode