V Strom 650 as a Police Motorcycle - Photo - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Possibly the Euro spec 250 cc model.... They must hope people don't drive too fast trying to get away.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.
AMA member, RestoRides MotorSports CEO

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.

Last edited by RestoRider2017; 08-07-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 AM
$tromtrooper

With the reliability, low cost of ownership, and performance of these bikes, this is a good decision. I never understood why Harley's were police bikes.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #13 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Living in the veritable shadow of the Orange-and-Black Mothership, it's highly unlikely you'll ever find a motor unit in our state that doesn't run HDs (with the exception of some DNR units that have to patrol off-road trails).

There are a lot of reasons Harley dominates the US police motor market: availability of local dealers, a buy-US mentality, comfort for all-day riding, and more. But in my opinion the main driver is budgetary. Often, HD will lease fully outfitted bikes to departments for ridiculously low dollars. Then, after the lease is up, the departments have the option of buying the used bike at below-market levels. For many departments, often cash-strapped, this makes good financial sense.

That being said, I have certainly started seeing other brands making in-roads. I've personally seen motor officers on BMWs (K1600s and R1200RT-P), Kawasakis (Concours 14), Victorys (RIP), and even an Indian. Harley is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as struggling these days, and that's causing their competitors to pounce.

Based on my experience in both the motorcycle and police worlds, these are the reasons why I feel a bike like the DL650 makes great sense as a motor unit:

1. Maneuverability
Yes, I've seen the YouTube videos of gymkhana competitors, often motor officers, tossing 900-lb. cruisers around like they're trials bikes. But for the average motor officer, a smaller, lighter bike is going to be better-suited for daily use, especially if the environment is at all urban. Sometimes even lane-splitting on a fully-dressed HD is a non-starter.

2. Long-term cost
I think it could be argued that the up-front cost of something like a V-Strom could be made up over the long haul in savings from reduced maintenance, fuel, and repair costs.

3. Motorcycle gangs
No, not the 1%ers -- I'm talking about the dramatic increase in large groups of riders that hide their plates and that drive like idiots through a community. Most of these are on dirt bikes or sport bikes (and sometimes ATVs), and they frequently take off as soon as the police show up in their squad cars. Between the mix of restrictive pursuit policies and the fact that any halfway competent rider can usually outrun a 4-wheeled vehicle, they're rarely caught. Having more versatile bikes in a motor unit increase the chances of chasing these riders down and curtailing some of their behaviors. Cleveland OH had such a problem with it they added some KLRs to their motor fleet.
Inpitt/Mac50 and Q109 like this.

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.

post #14 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

" I never understood why Harley's were police bikes."
Initial costs, the departments can do their own servicing.
BMW was insisting on dealer service...pricey.
But the LEO's seemed to prefer the BMW's over the HD's from what I heard.
I had a retired CHP R1100RT-P BMW and that configuration was a perfect touring rig...until it fell over then the sheer weight was a real deficit.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
Why the skid plate? they going to be chasing dirt bikes?
Most likely to protect the pipe/oil filter/engine from damage during a chase. If you've ever caught an episode of "Cops" on TV, you know that LEOs are frequently in a position where they must jump curbs and go off-road, even when their driving a Ford Taurus or Chevy Impala, to catch the perp.
post #16 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the Vee police bikes just made mine a little cooler!!!

I havent seen Harley's as PD bikes around in a while but I haven't been traveling much since retiring. Here in AZ what I see most are the Honda ST1100's. I heard from some PD guys that the seat makes them nuts because they hurt like hell but the bikes take a good beating and keep on going keeping costs down.

Seems to me to be a much better choice for Moto cops than a Harley. Still I must admit that in important processions where they are riding low and slow for some dignitary function .. the Harley's they do look the part!

When I was early 20's I saw a group of NYPD motorcycle cops or Wannabe motorcycle cops going through some drills on their bikes at Rockaway beach in NYC.

I was already riding for years but I earned a new respect for those guys that day. On big ol Harley's They had to go up the ramp that lead to the board walk. It was fairly steep and was only maybe 13' wide tops. Half way up they had to make a u turn!!

There were other maneuvering drills but that one stuck with me. I was very certain that I would fall over on my GS750 which was a far smaller bike. Making the turn in 13 feet with rails on both side would have been trouble but doing in in the middle of a steep incline made of uneven wooden boards!

Saw more than a few bikes fall over that day but a bunch of guys did it like they were walking. There were events where you could see competeitions among Leo riders and I attended one with a friend who was NYPD .. some bad Arse riders. Of course this was probably the 80's. Hope they still hold the same standards.

Alex
2019 V-Strom 650XT
1982 16v Suzuki GS 750E

Last edited by Boriqua; 08-07-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Cool but I would have picked the 1000 for performance like others are. I am sure budget was a consideration. I think Harley's are being selected less and less these days. Too big, heavy, and expensive.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 08-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Cool but I would have picked the 1000 for performance like others are. I am sure budget was a consideration. I think Harley's are being selected less and less these days. Too big, heavy, and expensive.
What’s this 1000 performance you speak of? The HD’s are still used and bought because they simply work, an American company and are quite reliable, plus no stupid chain maintenance and their low center of gravity makes them more nimble than you realize. I’ve ridden a few retired police edition road kings, I was left quite impressed to be honest.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #19 of 27 Old 08-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I want them to have their best chance to catch the bad guys going up a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
What’s this 1000 performance you speak of?

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
post #20 of 27 Old 08-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
Why the skid plate? they going to be chasing dirt bikes? it doesn't look to have a center stand which would be great for maintenance. they would want to check the oil level often if driven all day every day. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with additional small saddlebags.
It looks like they have the same brackets I do for the factory side bags so maybe they are just not on in the photo.

Im surprised you are wondering about the skid plate being an Arizonian. Once you are out of the "city" areas its not to unusual to hit gravel roads. Trust me I seem to find them on accident all the time. Also if you are going out into the desert to chase bad guys they are handy.

I still drive a retired sheriff car I got out here in AZ .. when I got it it had a huge steel Skid plate under it. Weighed a ton

Dont know enough about PA but I know some of its suburbs can go dirt or at least they did back when I was back east.

Alex
2019 V-Strom 650XT
1982 16v Suzuki GS 750E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode