My 2019 DL 650 is a little disappointing - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-05-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
My 2019 DL 650 is a little disappointing

Hi all,

I bought a new 2019 DL650 a week ago and I am a little disappointed. This is my 5th Vstrom I have owned and my 2nd 650. Compared to my 2008 DL650 I noticed a few things that are now worse.

- Uncomfortable riding position and the seat is 2" narrower than before and hard as a rock. The seat pushes me forward and the riding position seems more sporty with less knee room as before I have already ordered risers for handle bar but I don't really want to spend $500 on a Corbin seat which is 2' wider.

- Vibrates a lot when more than 4k rpm. Already installed a 16 tooth sprocket and its better but still not great. Can cruise at 75mph a 5K rpm. compared to my DL1000 which i can cruise at 75mph at 4K. Might need to change back sprocket too.

- Very bad wind protection, fairing and bike is about 3" narrower than before and wind is terrible. already ordered a givi wind screen, hopefully it will help. not sure if anybody has installed wind deflectors

- Top case bracket is very small worse than before. I have ordered a givi mounting plate for top case.

I commute 50 miles to work each day and i need something comfortable. Today I rode my dl1000 and its more comfortable and runs smoother in highway

Anybody else has these same issues/complaints?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
There are footpeg lowering kits available from vendors on this site. Best bang for the buck seat mod I have done is the Seat Concepts recovering kit. Many have had good luck with the Sit and Fly seat cover. My 2014 had some vibes at 5,200 but I retorqued the engine mounts and did the 16T front sprocket and it's fine.

2014 650 Strom
post #3 of 20 Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

post #4 of 20 Old 08-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not an exact comparison but relevant. I went from a 2007 Wee (Gen1) to a 2014 Wee (Gen2) whereas you went from Gen1 to Gen3. I was a bit disappointed by a few things as well but over all I am happy with the "upgrade" but I will concede that sometimes I wish I had my old bike back.

Seat: The stock seat on my Gen1 was unusable by me, killed my back. I upgraded to the Seat Concepts seat and it was perfect. The stock seat on my Gen2 is as comfortable as the SC seat was on my Gen1 so I did not upgrade but...

Riding Position: The Gen2 is much more cramped with the pegs higher relative to the seat and it gave me hip and knee pain. The peg lowering kit solved this problem.

Vibrations: According to the previous owner of my Gen2, the bike was viby from the factory but he was an ex-Harley rider so he thought it was normal. It was unacceptably viby right around 5K but I could feel it at all RPMs. He went to the 16T front sprocket to get the vibes down but it did not really help. I tracked down the main cause as a loose lower throttlebody boot-clamp which was probably never tightened at the factory. I also reseated my motor mounts and the vibrations are mostly gone but it is still more viby than my Gen1 which was smooth as silk all the way to red-line. I went back to the stock 15T front sprocket as I like that better for my style of riding and the vibes have been fine. I suspect that the compression is not even between the cylinders or the generator or clutch pack are out of balance but have not had time to pursue it. A 90deg V-Twin is in primary balance so it should not be viby at all.

Motor Mount Reseat & Retorque
Vibrations

Buffeting: I got spoiled on my Gen1 which had no buffeting issues whatsoever, I'd even forget to put my visor down on the freeway runs which is dangerous. My Gen2 was buffeting from the day I got it. Both Gen1 and Gen2 have vent holes on the left and right front of the fairing. These vents are suppose to provide a bypass for airflow so it doesn't run around the sides of the fairing and tank and into the rider. The problem is that from Gen1 to Gen2 Suzuki dropped a plastic skirt attachment under the fairing where the front forks enter the fairing. This skirt separated the vents from the airflow piling up in front of the radiator. Without that skirt those vents are doing nothing. I rigged some tubing between the front vents to behind the radiator and the buffeting was dramatically reduced. Unfortunately, the tubes are bit too small and they were a rev0, proof-of-concept hack and I had trouble keeping them in place so I removed them but they did work. My plan now is to try to install some kind of under-skirt as in the Gen1 design using leather or flexible plastic to allow the forks to move. There just isn't a lot of room for tubing inside the fairing.

Buffeting Wars

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 08-06-2019 at 01:43 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Read the Buffeting Wars post and wondered exactly where the tubes divert the air from the vents. I understand that the intent is to bring the air behind the radiator, but the vents in front are already above the radiator, from the photos.
Thanks in advance,
Mark
post #6 of 20 Old 08-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpom View Post
Read the Buffeting Wars post and wondered exactly where the tubes divert the air from the vents. I understand that the intent is to bring the air behind the radiator, but the vents in front are already above the radiator, from the photos. Thanks in advance, Mark
A picture is worth a thousand words.

First pic is the old Gen1 design (that works) and you can see how far the vents are from the high pressure zone that builds up in front of the radiator. In addition to being wider the under skirt helps to isolate the space behind the vents so they work more effectively in channeling air off the outside of the faring and behind the radiator.

Second pic is the Gen2 design (that does not work) and you can see how much narrower the vents are and thus closer to the high pressure zone. Without the skirt the high pressure zone almost certainly extends behind the vent and prevents them from moving much air at all. The air that doesn't go through the vent goes around the outside of the fairing and into the rider causing buffeting.

Third and fourth pics are the right vent tube installed and how it vents the air just to the side of the tank and out the side. The tube just provides a barrier that prevents the high pressure zone in front of the radiator from encroaching on the back side of the vents.

This is hard to describe and show in 2D pictures (it is a 3D problem actually) so if you ever have a chance to inspect a Gen1 and Gen2 right next to each other the problem and the fix is obvious. After looking at this project again I now think a skirt is a no-go. Attaching a skirt is just too difficult so its going to have to be tubes. The rev-0 design worked but wouldn't stay in place and I think to really put an end to the buffeting the tubes need to be larger anyway. I'm going to look into oval tubing or some other contraption that will fit and stay in place, just not sure when I will get to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen1Vent002.jpg (371.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Gen2Vent002.jpg (456.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg VentCowling.jpg (96.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg VentTube002.jpg (305.6 KB, 21 views)

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #7 of 20 Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a feeling that a lot of the vibration in these motors both 650 and 1000 has something to do with the mapping required to lean them off to meet modern emissions standards. I have always been of the opinion even since carburettor days that a leaner fuel mix makes for a harsher and vibier motor.
V650 likes this.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #8 of 20 Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Garage
I've thoroughly enjoyed my 2009, but have been considering jumping to a gen 3. Threads like these make me pause. I don't want the newer rider aids, and the newer beak design doesn't appeal. I would like a lighter and more nimble bike, but beyond that it is probably just new-bike-itis. Thanks for some reality checking. I think the gen 1, especially the late models represent a peak of modern fuel injected bike, but without an abundance of electronics. I appreciate it for that reason.
John V Strom, Jr. and dmfdmf like this.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-07-2019, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I went from a ST 1300 to my '13 DL 650. Suzi is noisier, vibrates more, has less wind/weather protection, and has more wind buffeting. It also has a surprisingly comfortable seat*, is lighter, more maneuverable, lighter, easier to park, lighter, and more economical on gas, and lighter. I've spent a lot of money trying to remedy the noise/buffeting issue and put on the DL what I had added to the ST, with only partial success. I am, however, getting there, and realize that there are always tradeoffs. Nothing that the ST did well quite makes up for its weight when stopped, and while it made the miles disappear and erased the difference between 65 and 85 mph, I like the Suzi for exactly what it is.

They say you can never go home. I'd suggest you read a lot more threads here and start modifying your new bike. Don't look back.

*Sargent - it came on the bike. Oh, and the DL has way more storage in the side and top cases than my ST.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-08-2019, 07:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
- Vibrates a lot when more than 4k rpm. Already installed a 16 tooth sprocket and its better but still not great. Can cruise at 75mph a 5K rpm. compared to my DL1000 which i can cruise at 75mph at 4K. Might need to change back sprocket too.
I've had my 19' a few months now and YES they are vibey especially around 5-5.5k. I also went down to a 16 tooth sprocket and this helped a lot to bring the revs down out of that range. Do you have crash bars? They act as giant tuning forks and exacerbate the issue which I am currently working through to resolve.

As for the seat I find it really comfortable but I came from a DRZ400E. I also put on the rox 1" back and up risers and they have transformed the ergos of the bike for me. Once I sort the vibes she will be a keeper.

Last edited by V650; 08-08-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode