My 2019 DL 650 is a little disappointing - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Second pic is the Gen2 design (that does not work) and you can see how much narrower the vents are and thus closer to the high pressure zone. Without the skirt the high pressure zone almost certainly extends behind the vent and prevents them from moving much air at all. The air that doesn't go through the vent goes around the outside of the fairing and into the rider causing buffeting.

Interesting theory but the empirical evidence is that the windshield and the mirrors are the cause of the buffeting.

How could those small vents effect the airstream over the windshield? They are there to direct more air over the hot mechanical bits more than likely. Tubes directing the air away defeats the purpose probably.

High pressure zone? Uh seems like the entire front end disrupts that, it's not like it's aerodynamic or anything!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry to sound like a grump, but this still is the 2017+ section, right?

Of course all are welcome, but so much content posted lately not relevant these model years. Could create confusion.
dmfdmf likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Interesting theory but the empirical evidence is that the windshield and the mirrors are the cause of the buffeting.
Empirical evidence in the 2012-2016 Buffeting Wars thread (w/ 2000+ posts) indicate it's both. "Fixes" include windshield, mirrors and winglets to block or modify flow over and along the side of the fairing.

@brock29609 is right, so I moved my post over to the Gen2 (2012-2016) Buffeting Thread, continuing comment to @Spec Please post followup comments over there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbulence001.jpg (178.3 KB, 11 views)
sdbeck and brock29609 like this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 08-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.

post #14 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcs1993 View Post
Hi all,

I bought a new 2019 DL650 a week ago and I am a little disappointed. This is my 5th Vstrom I have owned and my 2nd 650. Compared to my 2008 DL650 I noticed a few things that are now worse.

- Uncomfortable riding position and the seat is 2" narrower than before and hard as a rock. The seat pushes me forward and the riding position seems more sporty with less knee room as before I have already ordered risers for handle bar but I don't really want to spend $500 on a Corbin seat which is 2' wider.

- Vibrates a lot when more than 4k rpm. Already installed a 16 tooth sprocket and its better but still not great. Can cruise at 75mph a 5K rpm. compared to my DL1000 which i can cruise at 75mph at 4K. Might need to change back sprocket too.

- Very bad wind protection, fairing and bike is about 3" narrower than before and wind is terrible. already ordered a givi wind screen, hopefully it will help. not sure if anybody has installed wind deflectors

- Top case bracket is very small worse than before. I have ordered a givi mounting plate for top case.

I commute 50 miles to work each day and i need something comfortable. Today I rode my dl1000 and its more comfortable and runs smoother in highway

Anybody else has these same issues/complaints?

Cheers
-I'm 6'2" in the morning and Peg lowering kits worked well for me on all my Stroms.

-some seats work for some people, others for other people. I never found a stock Strom seat to be comfy for me. On my first gen Strom Corbin Worked brilliantly, sort of okay on my 2012 DL650 and not very well on my 2015 DL1000. I have now found Russel Day long seat works brilliantly for me. expensive but seeing as I ride about 30,000 miles/ 50,000 km per year well worth the cost for me.

-By any chance does your current DL650 have "crash bars" and did your previous have them? Historically there have been lots of threads where those things seem to be the root of vibration at those revs.

-Don't know if the aero is the same on your 2019 vs my 2015 DL1000 but if so in my case a Madstad Bracket fixed any issue I have with buffeting. (I have since 2006 been using long stem mirrors on mirror extenders on my Stroms and Madstad has always made my Stroms buffeting free and allowed me to ride over 90 mph with my modular helmet open.

-I don't know if the Givi mounting bracket for your DL650 is the same as the DL1000, but on the DL 1000 the **metal** Givi rack includes some reinforcing bars that greatly strengthens the mount.

..Tom

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #15 of 21 Old 08-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Hi all,

I bought a new 2019 DL650 a week ago and I am a little disappointed. This is my 5th Vstrom I have owned and my 2nd 650. Compared to my 2008 DL650 I noticed a few things that are now worse.

- Uncomfortable riding position and the seat is 2" narrower than before and hard as a rock. The seat pushes me forward and the riding position seems more sporty with less knee room as before I have already ordered risers for handle bar but I don't really want to spend $500 on a Corbin seat which is 2' wider.

- Vibrates a lot when more than 4k rpm. Already installed a 16 tooth sprocket and its better but still not great. Can cruise at 75mph a 5K rpm. compared to my DL1000 which i can cruise at 75mph at 4K. Might need to change back sprocket too.

- Very bad wind protection, fairing and bike is about 3" narrower than before and wind is terrible. already ordered a givi wind screen, hopefully it will help. not sure if anybody has installed wind deflectors

- Top case bracket is very small worse than before. I have ordered a givi mounting plate for top case.

I commute 50 miles to work each day and i need something comfortable. Today I rode my dl1000 and its more comfortable and runs smoother in highway

Cheers
there is something wrong with your strom.
I have a 19 and encounter zero vibrations whatsoever.
The seat softens up signifigantly after a few thousand KMS
offnote likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vboost View Post
there is something wrong with your strom.
I have a 19 and encounter zero vibrations whatsoever.
The seat softens up signifigantly after a few thousand KMS
Looks like yours was made on a Wednesday. Do you have crash bars fitted? If so have you ever tried to hold on to one of the crash bars as you ride through the rev range? Seriously interested.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 17' vibrates thru the Givi crash bars and I'm going to do the foam thing this winter. Seat concepts, Madstad, and mirrors have cured the rest. This is our fourth V-strom and I love them, but spending $1500. to equip the bike so you can ride it as intended???
post #18 of 21 Old 08-14-2019, 05:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have as well 2019 xt model and zero vibration at 0-7k rpm range been using so far.
Seat is comfortable for my arse but that personal, I know there are gel mods for seat.
Wind issues for me was easily resolved putting adjustable deflector for the stock windshield
and to tackle mirrors turbulence I need to replace them or put side wing deflectors.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers
The good news is that you can address 3/4 of your issues with mods. I'm surprised you found the 650 rough... compared to my new 1000 the 650 was smooth as butter.
Big B and offnote like this.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #20 of 21 Old 08-15-2019, 03:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Hi all,

My 2009 DL650 seat was about as bad for me as my 2018. Hence the reason I ordered a Daylong as soon as I bought the bike.

I noticed this too on my 2018 DL650. At 9000 miles I replaced the stock tires with a Shinko 705 rear and an Anakee Adventure front. I mount and balance my own tires and I noticed that on the rear the amount of weight I needed to balance the the and wheel assembly did not change but the location moved about 30 degrees from where it was. On the front I needed to add a bit more weight and again it was off about 30 degrees.

None of this seemed odd to me, except for needing the same amount of weight on the rear tire, since I was replacing the tires. However, the bike was silky smooth at all speeds after I changed the tires and this leads me to believe that the factory did not properly balance the wheels.

For me I found that my 2018 DL650XT had far less buffeting with the stock screen than my 2009 DL650. I tried several different windscreens on both bikes and have settled down to a summer screen and a 3 Season screen. Overall I am more happy with the wind protection on my 2018 than my 2009. I am 6' tall with a 31" inseam.

I agree with you on that - on top of that they made it out of plastic. I also installed a Givi rear rack on mine as well

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode