intermittant problem 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
intermittant problem 650

Bikes a 2017 650 which I've had for a month, 800 miles. Problem is bike cuts out sometimes when I am standing on the pegs. Anything less than 40mph and 3000rpm , screen is totally blank with no warning lights BUT when I sit down again it automatically starts and rides normally. Battery terminals good and it only happens when I'm standing. Was at the dealer today and they couldn't see anything wrong and of course the bike behaved itself there. Anyone here had anything similar or have any ideas?
ps I'm not activating the side stand switch when I stand up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Based on your description, I'd check the wiring under the seat. I would guess some wire is either loose or getting pinched and when you stand on the pegs it is grounding or shorting.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobo View Post
Based on your description, I'd check the wiring under the seat. I would guess some wire is either loose or getting pinched and when you stand on the pegs it is grounding or shorting.
will do. dealers advise DONT STAND UP
notacop likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hey, it's not a GS. Only BMW riders are allowed to spend endless hours being Adventurous.
Peg Standing is De Rigeuer for them. They even train on perfectly smooth asphalt do be proficient at looking elegant.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
The black box with lots of wires going into it which is strapped to the battery is I assume the ECU. This was sitting at a angle which could possibly be affected by up and down on the seat. I could not see any bare wires or loose connections. I'll get a ride on it tomorrow and report back. Fingers crossed.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just a shot here...when standing you are putting much more pressure on pegs. Check the side stand switch also. Good luck!

"This will be the last bike I'll need to buy"...
post #7 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
Just a shot here...when standing you are putting much more pressure on pegs. Check the side stand switch also. Good luck!
Thanks but I tried putting down the side stand while the bike was running. The engine cut out which I assume means the switch is working and when it did the dash still had lights on.
outdoorgb likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Side stand in down position kills ignition only. Something under the seat is causing this.
There is nothing on the pegs themselves electrical other than the sidestand switch which you already
checked.

Does your bike have a charging pigtail attached to the battery terminals ? If so make sure it is not being pinched
or routed where it could be shorting out ....

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , BeadRider Ceramic bead seat cover on order.
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system simmering on low in the oven.

Avatar image is a custom made Harley Sportster all hand built from junk parts from a retired engineers desk. Took 80 hours to make.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
No there is nothing extra connected to the battery. I bought the bike a month ago and in 2 years it had done 160 miles so its basically a new bike and I dont think a wire could have shorted out with such little use. I've moved the ECU and I'll take it a run tomorrow to try it out. It would be so much easier if the problem was there all the time.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Why do you not try standing on the pegs while the bike is idling at your home/shed? The same should occur. If not, why not? Easy if you have a main stand or swingarm stand, otherwise lean against a tree or pole.
Also confirm that it is definitely not the sidestand switch by zip tying the stand to the frame or rear footrest, or by bridging that switch.

You could also remove your seat and start the bike. If it runs, it cannot be your weight on the seat which causes the bike to run, and then to stop when your weight is removed. Somewhere an electrical connection is being disturbed.
Cryoman and RestoRider2017 like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

Last edited by Brockie; 08-03-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode