Clunking sound when pushed around - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boriqua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Clunking sound when pushed around

This morning I got to work and parked my bike, then decided to roll it a few feet to a better spot. I noticed a clunking noise while it rolled, several times while moving just a few feet. It was turned off and in 1st gear with the clutch pulled. If I rolled the bike back and forth, I'd hear several clunks. What could this noise be?

The chain should be lubed enough, although I have been on a bunch of dirt roads recently. It was adjusted just last week. Bike has 10k miles and has mostly been untouched besides oil changes, chain maintenance, and the 600 mile check.

I think I'm going to check the front sprocket at lunch. I can't take any pics or video on the company property, and I have plans to ride 100 miles tonight when I leave so I'm hoping there's nothing to really worry about here...

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Do you have a center stand? My initial reaction is the chain. Mine has gone "dry" and made a clunk noise. Once I oiled it, the noise was gone. I'd put it up on the centerstand and spin the rear tire, out of gear. You might just see a couple of tight links that aren't exactly straight in line and that will create the clunk noise. Oiling of the chain will loosen tight links and clean out the dirt from them a bit.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
Do you have a center stand? My initial reaction is the chain. Mine has gone "dry" and made a clunk noise. Once I oiled it, the noise was gone. I'd put it up on the centerstand and spin the rear tire, out of gear. You might just see a couple of tight links that aren't exactly straight in line and that will create the clunk noise. Oiling of the chain will loosen tight links and clean out the dirt from them a bit.
No center stand, but I do have a rear stand coming in the mail today to prepare for changing tires. Problem is I wasn't planning on stopping home and if I did, I'd only have enough time to hop in my car and get to where I need to go.

Chain is my first thought as well and I hope it's that simple. I was thinking of picking up some chain spray and hoping that solved it and heading out for my little trip tonight, until I read about loose sprockets and things while searching for answers...

post #4 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 10:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

another option for getting the rear wheel off the ground for this inspection is to lift or jack it from the area of the frame/swing arm on the right side where the rear axle is. Leave the bike on the kickstand and lift in this area gives you an opportunity to get the rear off the ground. BE CAREFUL though, as this is not the most stable of options, but it works in a pinch.

In the retail world, I believe they sell an item called a SnapJack. No need to buy one, but you'll see what I am talking about. You can create something like this quite easily, and if you have a co-worker help lean the bike over on the kickstand, you might not even need a snapjack.

Bottom line is, you need to get this checked before going on that ride. Yeah, I know you REALLY want to go, but spending a bit of time to check this is necessary. Once the rear tire is in the air and you can spin it, check the chain (and oil it), the sprockets to ensure tight and check those rear rubber cushions in the wheel ( see part #6, figure 64 at https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...3d5/rear-wheel )

Last edited by Yarz1; 07-31-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz1 View Post
Bottom line is, you need to get this checked before going on that ride. Yeah, I know you REALLY want to go, but spending a bit of time to check this is necessary. Once the rear tire is in the air and you can spin it, check the chain (and oil it), the sprockets to ensure tight and check those rear rubber cushions in the wheel ( see part #6, figure 64 at https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...3d5/rear-wheel )
You really think I need to remove the rear wheel entirely? In any case, I'll have to get home 20 miles and I'll be able to dig into things tomorrow. I was just hoping to get some ideas on what it was and hopefully find out it's not an issue at all.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

no, you do not need to remove the rear wheel. Just get it off the ground so you can check all those items. Yeah, the rubbers are inside the wheel but you can check to see if they are making the clunk sound with the wheel off the ground. I simply added that link because I didn't know the official name of the part. Spin the rear wheel while raised off the ground is all you need for inspection of the clunk.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Third or forth vote for chain. My guess is it either needs lube or if someone adjusted it recently they made it to tight.

I was lazy and brought my bike in to have my front tire installed. During inspection the shop said my chain was to loose and they could adjust it for $15 so I let them adjust it.

Chain and sprockets had about 400 miles on it. I am backing out of the driveway at home a few days later and clunk clunk clunk. I check the chain .. yup .. WAY to tight! Brought it to a touch looser than spec and noise gone.

and this is why I do most every bit of maintenance myself.
iamsmiling likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boriqua View Post
Third or forth vote for chain. My guess is it either needs lube or if someone adjusted it recently they made it to tight.

I was lazy and brought my bike in to have my front tire installed. During inspection the shop said my chain was to loose and they could adjust it for $15 so I let them adjust it.

Chain and sprockets had about 400 miles on it. I am backing out of the driveway at home a few days later and clunk clunk clunk. I check the chain .. yup .. WAY to tight! Brought it to a touch looser than spec and noise gone.

and this is why I do most every bit of maintenance myself.
I did recently adjust the chain to within spec at 1" of movement. It was previously 1.5", maybe I should have left it that way? It seemed fine, but was loose according to Suzuki and I wouldn't have gone tighter if it wasn't in my manual. I mostly was just looking for something to do at the time.

At any rate, I checked at lunch and whatever the noise was is no longer noticeable. I just hear the gentle sound of the chain on the sprocket when rolling it around. So I'm a little less worried, but not much because I don't like the mystery.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmJunkie View Post
I mostly was just looking for something to do at the time.
LOL .. I have been SOOOooooo guilty of doing that as well. Especially on some of the older bikes I had/have .. just looking for something to tinker with for the sake of tinkering so you my friend are not alone.

I try to remember a new mantra now and have only been marginally successful ... "You can keep fixing it until you break it."

Back off the chain a touch and you will be fine and save some wear and tear on your chain and sprockets.

My new Vee is the first new bike I have bought in some 8 years and I cant find anything to mess with so I polished the windshield and adjusted my throttle cable ... sigh .. old habits are hard to break!

Last edited by Boriqua; 07-31-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode