yay done with the break in period!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes
  • 2 Post By notacop
  • 2 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By portly
  • 2 Post By Boriqua
  • 1 Post By Boriqua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

yay done with the break in period!!

Just brought the bike in for the first service yesterday. I couldn't wait. I know there are tons of theories on bike break in but I decided to stick close to manufacturer outline and except for a couple of times hitting 5500 RPM I kept it at or below 5000.

I was dying! First gear is so short using 4800 as the shift spot, to get to 4th or 5th gear off a light took about 3 days. I was riding with the wife and a wee bitty prius destroyed me and faded off into the distance.

Now .. I have owned a lot of bikes over 40 years of riding and I knew I wasnt buying a race bike but it seemed all the fun bits were starting right at about 4800-5000rpm ... so it was just out of reach.

Well I didnt get down the block from the dealer before I started whacking the throttle. I kept it under the 7500 per manual but still .... HOoray! I wasnt disappointed.

Dont get me wrong .. she is not going to win any drag races but like I said I knew that going in but it was still peppy, gave plenty of passing power at speed and had a satisfying growl when you whacked it open.

My riding now a days is kept pretty sedate. I prefer to cruise along at comfortable speeds and enjoy the lovely scenery and the quality of the ride but its nice to know that if I have to, or want to, whack that throttle there is passing power and fun to be had. I was up at 85mph in no time and smiling ear to ear.

So that was the last goal post on my "Damn I hope I like this bike" scale and it passed wonderfully. You know you read the reviews and see all the videos but you just dont know until you ride it and except that the fugin bike doesnt come with a helmet lock ... I am thrilled with my purchase.

Whew!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2019, 11:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've done the 'behave' break in and the' 'ride it like you stole it' and the bikes didn't care. I got the same sort of life out of the bike.
But as long as you are happy, ride it and enjoy!
I've even heard that there is break in on the new chains. where the truth is, who knows?
Big B and offnote like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've never heard of breaking in a new chain but its certainly possible. As far as a new motorcycle I ide them how I'm going of ride them with the exception of riding at constant speed/RPM for long durations. Your motor was well over 90% broken in before it was ever installed in the frame when they bench test them with compressed air. Another few percent of the breaking was completed when the dealer started it up on gasoline and rode it around the parking lot. The last remain percent or 2 of breaking happens shortly after you get the bike and take it out for a good ride.

I am thoroughly convinced that "motorcycle break in" it is nothing more than lawyer talk. When is the last time you bought a car and the dealer told you to take it easy keep it under XYZ RPM's for X amount of miles and bring it back in 600 miles for as service?

As notacop has experienced taking it easy per the owners manual or leaning on the motor a little harder during break in seems to generate the same end result.
Big B and notacop like this.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Actually that easy break in thing is a PITA. A friend was extremely religious with his new bikes. Made him maddening to ride with until he was satisfied he had performed the ritual precisely.
Not sure with the quality control adhered to now and the science of cylinder coatings that the care necessary in the 50's is still required.
I've had BMW dealers offer brand new bikes for the weekend and suggested riding to San Francisco and back to test the bike.
Like it says in the song, Get on your bikes and ride!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yes I agree the days of old then Triumph, HD and the like used a bastard rasp as a finishing tool with tolerance of +/- 1/4" being acceptable. These are also the bikes you worked on all week to hopefully ride most of the weekend. With modern machining and QC this practice is no more than a throwback like the 600 mile service.

Trying to even remotely adhere to the break in procedure is painful and somewhat dangerous. As speed limits have increased the practice of turtling along at speeds what would rival a model T you stand a chance of getting run down. Also interesting is it seems to be a selling tool for some. I've read lots of CL adds over the years where the seller states the manufacturers break in procedure was followed to a T (not that anyone could qualify that) and though their bike was worth more because of it.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Everyone has an opinion on the break-in but most will agree it is a distant spot in the rear view mirror soon enough.

When I bought my '09 Wee it had 1200 miles on it...I changed the oil before it was even ridden and was surprised to see more than a few pieces of metal in the drain pan.

That was 21,000 miles ago, the bike runs like a top and the tach regularly sees just shy of redline when accelerating. No issues, although the Wee will suck a little oil when run with traffic on the Super Slab. Speed limit in much of VA is 70 mph and traffic will usually push that to 75-80 mph

For your helmet lock, you could always add one of these:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Other components require time to mesh together and polish.
If you flog a new bike straight away you will likely shorten the life of gears and possibly cam/valve components as these parts need a bit of time to polish.
But a few hundred km should do it given the amount of times an engine spins for every hour of use.
At an average of 4000 rpm every hour will equal 240,000 revolutions so after four or so hours the engine has turned a million times.
RestoRider2017 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Finally got to run it out some on the highway .. rather impressed with its stability and smoothness for such a small displacement. It was smooth as silk and rock steady up to an actual 75mph or about 80mph on the speedo with a passenger. just moved right along and like the rest of my limited ride experience on this bike .. No surprises no skittishness. Almost boringly predictable. At 56 .. I am very cool with that!!
Big B and K9 Wee like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Wee View Post

For your helmet lock, you could always add one of these:

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/helmet-guardian-black
Thank you for the link!! that looks like just what the doctor ordered.
K9 Wee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode