Happy Trails Panniers Q&As - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rum Runner
  • 2 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By sngltrk
  • 2 Post By Jmrgates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Happy Trails Panniers Q&As

Im going a little BSC working out what direction Im going. Really like my Mosko Moto bags but really dont like the not locked up to prevent theft when I need to park the bike in public places. Put my lowering links on my 2017 and just dont have the suspension left to pack the bike as needed. Put the stock links back on and when Bags are loaded it all fits perfectly. Take bags off stock is just a shade tall for my liking. Thinking that if I stay stock and get the Happy Trails Panniers on just as empty the weight of them should make it work then, when I set the preload on the shock and load the bike up it should be just right. But now I need help from those who have Happy Trails and what setup did you go with. Cascade or Teton, Cliff Cut or Exhaust Cut? Width and Liters. Do you find what you chose was too big or too small kind of things. So many choices.
sngltrk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

As I travel more and more I pack less and less. But having extra capacity is nice. For 8" wide panniers is the minimum 10" is ideal. Especially if you have an exhaust cut out as this will tank up easily 1/3rd of the capacity.

When out for a week long tour out of 2 panniers and a top case I like to have at least one of these totally empty when I start. That way I have room to secure riding/jacket and pants if need or space if I pick up trinkets for the wife and kiddo.
sngltrk and Rum Runner like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I went with 7.5 Owyhees on SU racks.
With a Givi E45 top box I have room for everything I need for a week of camping.
Of course YMMV.
I will say the HT racks and boxes fit well and seem well built.
Rum Runner likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have the Teton, 9" wide cliff cut with their 58 liter top box. Great quality of the product, top box I only put on if going to be gone 4+ days. Panniers never come off. Have been totally pleased with them. I chose this size after seeing them on a V-STROM at the shop in Boise Idaho.
sngltrk and Rum Runner like this.

Ten words to make you successful in no matter what you do
"Show up, On time, Every day, Work your butt off"
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 AM
Adventure Traveler

Garage
I have Tetons in both 7.5 inch & 9 inch widths and their 58L topbox. I use the 7.5 inch Tetons for daily use & short trips. I use the 9 inch Tetons plus topbox when traveling long distance & camping.

Happy Trails is good quality stuff. I have over 250,000 miles on their panniers & topbox. I currently have 3 DL650s (2012, 2013 & 2017). Plan on selling my 2013.

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode