thinking of getting a lower, lighter bike - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I have a V2 and also a Versys X300 for me to use on our fire roads. It is a little lower and a lot lighter but still a great adventure bike. I weight 210 and it has no problem propelling me down the interstate at 75 mph.

My 5' 4" wife has no problem pushing it around the garage and driveway and riding it. She can even get it off the ground pretty easily. It is 385 lbs. There are a good number of female owners on our X300 forum.

It's funny, I was actually considering the Versys X300 before I got the DL650. If your wife can get it off the ground, that's great! Means I should be able to, as well.

2017 DL650 (white)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
New Kawasaki Z400 is worth a look. Peppy for a 400. I made the switch to a Honda NC700X 2 months ago. Love it! Weight is down low because the gas tank is under the seat & the cylinder head is almost horizontal. 3 things I noticed right away: Way more low-end torque than my Vstrom 650. Much more flickable since the center of gravity is down low. Also, if I were to drop the Honda I can easily pick it up. Those days are over with the Vstrom. I was 50 when I bought it new. 62 now & I can't pick it up when I drop it. So I went shopping on Cycletrader. There are some new leftover NC700X going cheap. Mine was $4997. Some are much less. Mine's a keeper. The Iron Giraffe will be sold soon.
The Z400 was not on my list of bikes to look at, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Juan_Banjovy likes this.

2017 DL650 (white)
post #23 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
New Kawasaki Z400 is worth a look. Peppy for a 400. I made the switch to a Honda NC700X 2 months ago. Love it! Weight is down low because the gas tank is under the seat & the cylinder head is almost horizontal. 3 things I noticed right away: Way more low-end torque than my Vstrom 650. Much more flickable since the center of gravity is down low. Also, if I were to drop the Honda I can easily pick it up. Those days are over with the Vstrom. I was 50 when I bought it new. 62 now & I can't pick it up when I drop it. So I went shopping on Cycletrader. There are some new leftover NC700X going cheap. Mine was $4997. Some are much less. Mine's a keeper. The Iron Giraffe will be sold soon.
I took a look online- wow, seems like a lot of bike for under 5K. Not sure it's my style, but it's worth a look, thanks. Especially at 368.1 lbs
Juan_Banjovy likes this.

2017 DL650 (white)

post #24 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would highly recommend Yamaha MT07 ... extremely light and well balanced.

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000
post #25 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by America First View Post
It's funny, I was actually considering the Versys X300 before I got the DL650. If your wife can get it off the ground, that's great! Means I should be able to, as well.
Both bikes next to each other. Our dog is a real ham.
America First likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
post #26 of 55 Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I would highly recommend Yamaha MT07 ... extremely light and well balanced.
Thanks, but I'm looking for a bike with a windscreen.

2017 DL650 (white)
post #27 of 55 Old 07-23-2019, 12:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Something to consider for lowering a VStrom is the need to shorten the side stand. All too often I read of lowering but not addressing the side stand which can now leave the bike too upright and easy to tip over.

Steve.
post #28 of 55 Old 07-23-2019, 03:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
Several bikes come to mind. Suzuki SV650 (Dry Wt ~365 lbs.), Yamaha FZ07 (Dry Wt ~360 lbs.). The biggest thing to consider sounds like ergonomics. Use the following web app to check how well you fit on most any bike out there. It's a great program that lets you compare an contrast many different bikes. Example readouts are shown below. Good Luck!!!
This is a great web app. Thanks!
post #29 of 55 Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

I don't really think dl650 is heavy and top heavy bike, try my tenere xt660z if you want find out what is top heavy bike
I can understand though v-strom is too tall and too heavy for you to move around in the garage, because when riding it's very light and nimble.
Maybe keep it and take some training on your v-strom? it really helps.

Last edited by offnote; 07-23-2019 at 06:35 AM.
post #30 of 55 Old 07-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

V-Stroms are quite heavy, I think. I'm a big, tall guy, and still in reasonably good health, thankfully, and getting one off the ground would push me pretty hard, at nearly 60 YO.

The CB500X appears much lighter.

If you've been able to handle a V-Strom, for awhile, I suspect handling a CB500X would be a breeze. Some of the other, smaller, bikes that have been mentioned sound like good candidates too.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode