windshield .. Anyone else go down? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

windshield .. Anyone else go down?

I went through the very many windshield posts but most of them advocate for buying a new higher wider one.

I am 5'9" with about a 30 inseam the windshield came mounted in its highest position. Now I have had maybe a dozen bikes or more over the years and only one other bike had a windshield so it could be a personal taste thing but ... I found the ride to be a little wierd on the new Strom.

It was dead quiet .. almost toooooo quiet .. that is until about 62mph on the Speedo. Then air started slapping me on either side of the helmet. Got really weird on my ride this morning since it was windy. I stuck my hand out and the air is definitely going over my helmet but its allowing side buffering.

Be that as it may .. Am I the only one that feels that still air I get under 62 a little disconcerting? Or am I just strange.

I just lowered it to the lowest mounting holes and it looks like the mounting holes are only about 1/2 inch apart so I lowered it about 1 in and glorious wind was rushing at me but .. not slapping the sides of my helmet anymore. Feels like it is just skirting over the top of my helmet but I am not getting the side buffering.

So has anyone decided to go lower instead of bigger wider. Maybe I am just used to more air!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I went with a shorter windscreen due to helmet buffeting. However I'm 6'5". I could never get the OE screen to work for me. I went with a Moose Racing dark tinted low screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vee w Mod 02.JPG (122.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Vee w Mod 01.JPG (64.7 KB, 119 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #3 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
I went with a shorter windscreen due to helmet buffeting. However I'm 6'5". I could never get the OE screen to work for me. I went with a Moose Racing dark tinted low screen.
That Moose racing looks Nifty as hell on the bike as a bonus!

post #4 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Madstad first thing then go from there.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Some guys get new mirrors. They seemed to be cause of problem with buffeting.
Or maybe you've been a bad boy and Karma was getting even on your ride?
branthopolis likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm lucky I guess. I find the stock screen fine. Maybe the set-back risers took care of the mirror buffeting.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just got a new 2018 Vstrom and they upgraded me to the Givi Airflow over the stock screen as it was too short.

It's adjustable for both height and angulation and it's been great for me.

That said I've never been one of the guys who have problems with buffeting. It think it's cus my noggin is gigantic and heavy.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Some guys get new mirrors. They seemed to be cause of problem with buffeting.
Or maybe you've been a bad boy and Karma was getting even on your ride?
^^^THIS^^^ Installing new mirrors cured the high speed head slapping for me.. I figured it out by holding my hand open on both sides of the mirror to deflect more of the windstream and was able to get buffeting to stop from that side..

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #9 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
^^^THIS^^^ Installing new mirrors cured the high speed head slapping for me.. I figured it out by holding my hand open on both sides of the mirror to deflect more of the windstream and was able to get buffeting to stop from that side..
that's interesting idea, I;m 6'1 and getting buffeting at top of my helmet.
I have ordered wind deflector but never would though about mirrors,
they huge indeed.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I hadnt considered the mirrors but there was a significant amount of air coming from the inside edges when I checked this morning. All that said .. I didnt care for the uppermost setting on the windscreen and the lowest moved my glasses around a bit but was better

but

Today did about 40 miles with speeds up to 71 and the middle position was perfect. Enough air movement and noise around me to feel like I am motorcycling but my helmet and glasses were rock rock solid. In fact .. in this position .. for me .. the air seemed to get even more stable at speed and with a little bend of the elbow it was great. Even seemed to increase my field of view even though its only like a 3/4inch adjustment.

I am not a big fairing windscreen fan .. but it was actually pretty awesome. Who would have thought such a small adjustment could pay off so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode