StromTrooper banner

Speed Sensor Location 2017+ DL650

13K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  WingVetteStrom 
#1 ·
Can someone please confirm the speed sensor location on a 2017+ DL650 for me.

This is where it is on a 2012 to 2016 DL650.

Here it is with a speedometer calibrator connected.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I had a conversation with Rick a couple of days ago. I dont have the '17 DL650 service manual. But my '14 DL1000 service manual shows the speed sensor reading originating in the ABS wheel speed sensors, not a countershaft sensor. The speed sensor is not shown in the parts microfiche as it is on older DL650s, so from this I believe the ABS control unit supplies the vehicle speed data via the ABS wheel speed sensors.
The service manual diagnosis specifically mentions wheel speed sensors for speedo malfunctions.

#5 ·
Yes the 14' 1000 is from the "front" ABS sensor.

The speedo input is a pink wire on the right side, under & near the front of the tank.

I don't know if that helps.

#8 ·
Does this version of the DL650 have traction control? If so it likely uses the abs sensors to determine the speed same as the 2014+ DL1000

..Tom

#11 ·
12 o'clock labs

I purchased the S1 from AdTech.
here's what the guys are 12 o'clock told me...

The 2017 650 v-strom does not have a speed sensor plug,
S1 model will fit these bikes... SDRD-S1 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (2002-2013) / SDRD-S1 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (2004-2016)
On the 2017 DL650 model the ABS computer sends a speed signal directly to the gauge cluster through the wire harness, their is no in-line plug for the signal.
We still have a calibration solution for those bikes, it requires installing an in-line connector on the speed signal wire right before it enters into the gauge cluster, and using SpeedoDRD model U1.
We can send you the U1 harness for your SpeedoDRD, no need to buy a new speedoDRD, I just need to know if your have the Green Rectangle SpeedoDRD or the Black Square SpeedoDRD.
Attached is a diagram of how the install would be done, we have a generic demo video I can upload over the weekend and email to you by Monday, shows how the U1 would install.

Which means @richlandrick that you're selling the wrong parts on your site. :-(

Attachments

#12 ·
Almost. With apology, I "sold" the wrong part on my site. Past tense. Once we found out out that Suzuki changed the wiring in 2017 I changed the website.

The part you have can be used. According to Brooks at 12 O'Clock labs the S1 can be used by removing the plug. That is the difference between the U (universal) and the S1. The S1 has a plug, the U has no plug and ends in bare wires. Feel free to call me and we will make sure you achieve installation nirvana.

Uh-oh, I just checked our website and the change did not show. Looks like the change was made to the code, but not published. My bad. I'll fix that right now.

#16 ·
I spoke too soon. This is messed up. It only took 20 mins. I'm a whizz at getting the dash off now. Just took it for a ride and the speedo doesn't work. I notice there are two brown wires on the diagram. I hope they're the same otherwise I've tapped in to the wrong one. I've tapped in to the one that goes to the cluster. No idea where the other brown one is. I need to pull it all apart again. grrrrrr.

I've emailed Brooks too.

#17 ·
OK, now it's fixed.
In the above diagram from 12o'clock you'll notice TWO brown wires. The thin one that goes in to the console is NOT the one you want. The first photo from me shows that I tapped in to that. It's the ABS sensor. Don't do that.

The one you want is the FAT brown wire that goes in to the front light cluster. Unfortunately, that means you need to take the whole nose cone off to get to it. After that, it's all straight forward. Of course, if you didn't want to take the nose off, it's also in the main harness connector on the left side of the bike. You could just run a wire from there.

My ride seems to require a -8% adjustment.

Attachments

#20 ·
So you're saying the diagram from 12:00 is wrong? I assume you're saying that the correct brown wire is the wire on the diagram that is two wires to the left (improper) wire with the red X on it?

#21 ·
No, the 12:00 dia is correct. Notice the brown wire going in to the cluster is not connected to the brown wire going to the position light. They’re different wires. Suzuki decided to use the same color for two different things. My guess is they thought that given one is thin and the other is fat, they thought no one would confuse them.
I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.