Chain sound on DL650 2019 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Chain sound on DL650 2019

Hello everyone,

I just bought brand new vstrom 650 2019, and after first service (1000km) I started hearing some strange sound-noise like rubber squeaking, around 60-70 km but just when accelerating.
First i tought that I didnt put enough lube on chain after cleaning, then I lubed it again but i wasnt better. Yesterday I noticed that marks on both side of rear wheel isnt aligned (for tensioning chain), difference between left and right side is 1mm, could be that misaligment the reason for the sound ?

My second question is if is it normal when rotating real wheel by hand in neutral to hear sound like some kind clicking (dont know how to explain) ??
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

IF the alignment marks are off....adjust your chain so the tension is correct and marks are in alignment. That will tell you if that is the source of the noise. BTW, the marks on a swingarm are good to go by, but by no means considered a guarantee the rear wheel is in perfect alignment with the centerline of the bike. 1mm isn't much, I imagine many are out that much.

The clicking noise when rotating the wheel by hand in neutral is normal. Chain clicking on/off of the sprocket teeth.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely correct your chain alignment. You can also use a caliper to measure the distances but tic marks are probably close enough IMO. If you chain had more slack than spec it can also result in some noise as it slides over the upper guard on the swingarm. I noticed my driveline noise is much quitter now that my chain is at the tighter end of spec. Chain and sprockets are all in great LN shape, but it made a little more noise when it needed adjustment.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

If your chain is too tight, there can be all sorts of strange noises.
Spin the wheel drive direction, check that rear sprocket runs in the middle of the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chain adjustment , sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode