oil level & filter question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

oil level & filter question

Just changed the oil & filter at my 600 mile interval. I put in 2.7 qts per the manual and the window barely shows any oil? What's wrong?

Filter - I don't have a filter wrench yet but best I can do is 1.75 turns but manual says 2. Am I ok?

Thanks

2019 DL650-XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Filter: If there is no seepage at the gasket all is fine. If it gets wet there tighten a bit further. For future consider K&N oil filter. They have a hex head and are easy to put on/ take off.

Oil level: Run the engine a bit. Let sit for a good while then with the bike upright (not on the sidestand) check the level. If its low add some more oil. Don't get hung up on the volume, that info is only indicative, not absolute.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
with the bike upright (not on the sidestand) check the level.
This is a common mistake with new owners. Difficult if you don't have a centerstand. 2.7 liters is the correct amount.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Also don't confuse liters with quarts. You can also run the bike just a bit before the oil change maybe 3 minutes
then shut it off. Let cool a few minutes and then pull the plug to drain the oil into your pan. Let sit over night.
if you can. Then remove and change the filter. You can also use a scale to weight the oil amount. Just
zero the container weight. add old oil removed if level was good. Record weight. Then on refill match that amount
using the scale . I keep an old oil jug with a small pour spout just for this purpose. Never been a problem.

Very rarely is the amount of oil you purchase going to be the exact amount you will need...

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"
post #5 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks all - oil level is fine now, must just take a while to show in window. Called the dlr re the oil filter 2-turn requirement - he said they just turn till snug and never a prob. The torque for the filter is 17ft lbs and filter is ~14.5 ft lbs - never seen such a tight spec!

2019 DL650-XT
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
You will find out that some of the torque specs on these bikes is whacky. Some are just plain wrong.
There is a sticky on this subject so you might want to take a look to see what specs are spoofs.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I understand the Suzuki filter can take the two turns due to the way the seals are made. Any other "normal" "standard" oil filter would never need two full turns or that much torque. I like the nut on the K & Ns but probably going back to OEM when I run out of my stock. KN had some QC issues on other size oil filters and some reviews I have read suggest they may not be as great as purported. Kind of hard to tell staring at the package and my thought is Suzuki (or any engine maker) has a lot to lose financially and reputationally so not likely skimping on filter quality.

That said some dufus with spreadsheet may get a promotion by saving 9 cents on filters by getting $.30 filters for two dollars even though they were paying $2.09 for two dollar filters. Dufus would never care about warranty claims, brand reputation as that don't show up in the procurement spreadsheet.

kfh000
post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The Wix 51359 also is a good filter and it does not need 2 turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have been told decades ago to smear a drop of oil on the new filter rubber seal and then tighten snug by hand only. Never had any leaks doing it this way on any vehicle.
Big B, thecrumb, notacop and 3 others like this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Agree with the Wix filter and the drop or two of oil spread on the rubber ring before installation.

On my '12 Wee, with filter change, I'm fairly sure I just pour in 3 quarts of oil and that puts the level at the top mark.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 44K+. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode