My new 2019 XT in white/blue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My new 2019 XT in white/blue

G'day troopers

Great forum btw!

I have had my new 2019 for a week now so I thought I would chime in with how its going. This is the first vstrom I have ever ridden so I can't compare it to other models etc. I've racked up around 900 kms on it so far.

Engine: really vibey. This is my first vtwin and I am coming from a 2017 DRZ400E with knobby tires so was pretty surprised how vibey the engine in mine is. At cruising speeds of 110 to 120 kmph it is really buzzing through the rear of the seat, pegs and bars. The only accessories I have on it at the moment are SW Moto Crash bars and OEM center stand. The crash bars really do resonate hard between 5 and 6.5k RPM. Nothing appears to be loose and they simply seem to be just amplifying the engine vibes. Pulling in clutch equals no vibes so vibes are engine related. I will also check the chain slack tomorrow as I have read here that too much slack can cause this. The engine does have great low down useable torque though which is great.
Rpm assist - don't really notice it.

Handling/Suspension: This is the first bike over 200 kgs I have owned so I'm not sure how widespread this issue is but through tight twisties I feel I really have to push on the inside bar firmly and pull the outer bar to get this baby to turn in to get the lean angle I want. Once its in the turn it is fine and really quite well behaved even with the rear shock at the factory settings. I wish I could soften the front a bit more for crap roads though - racetech is on the agenda.

As another poster pointed out I have also played with my rear preload adjuster and also didn't notice any change in sag - maybe its still new and needs to settle in more.

Brakes: At first terrible. Now they have bed in they are OK. I would prefer more stopping power and will most probably upgrade them. Rear brake can feel a bit vague doing low speed turns - feels like I have to really get on it harder than I'm used to - first ABS bike though.

Ergonomics: I'm 6ft 33" inseam. My knees were starting to get a bit cramped towards the end of my 4 hour ride today so ideally I'm going to look at getting some adjustable rearsets a bit lower and more forward would sort it. I'm going to adjust the bars couple of clicks back to bring them more towards me but it looks like you need a OEM special tool to do it unfortunately. I find the OEM seat really good so no change there.

Wind Blast: I have the factory screen in the highest position and I am getting buffeting from the wind in the forehead area of my helmet from around 90 kmph plus. I can feel the blast from the mirrors too so I'm going to get the mirror risers and a better screen.

Instrumentation: I can tell you that the fuel guage is pretty good with distance to empty. I got down to 10 kms remaining and on fill up it took 18.5 litres (on the kick stand).

Overall it's a bargain for the features you get. I plan on touring with it now that I am officially having my mid life crisis as I am now mid 40s . I will to sort these vibes out though even if I have to put lead shot into the crash bars. I have the SHAD SH 23 panniers and SH59X top case on order so looking forward to getting those on and doing some moto camping.

V650.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190703_14201222.jpg (265.4 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats! I have the same bike. Haven't noticed any 'vibes', runs very smooth. I've replaced the stock windshield with a VStream (medium) from National Cycle & it works great.

2019 DL650-XT
post #3 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Congrats, I have one as well and use it mostly for commuting. What model tank is that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKM348 View Post
Congrats! I have the same bike. Haven't noticed any 'vibes', runs very smooth. I've replaced the stock windshield with a VStream (medium) from National Cycle & it works great.
Cheers guys. I'll have to check out the Vstream. Have you guys messed around with your rear preload adjusters?

SKM348 it's a German Leopard tank that the Australian Army used to operate. They were good in their day.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 AM
$tromtrooper

I have 2017 XT and will address a few of your points with which I'm personally familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V650 View Post
Engine: really vibey. This is my first vtwin and I am coming from a 2017 DRZ400E with knobby tires so was pretty surprised how vibey the engine in mine is.
First, I have not experienced the vibration issues to which you refer. I would suggest, however, checking all fasteners. I'm not a dealer basher; but, I've noticed over the years that all dealers don't necessarily take extreme care in assembly of new bikes. On another note, I don't usually do mods to bikes until after I've had time to get a feel for them. However, with my 650XT I ordered a fork brace from AdventureTech almost immediately. Maybe that's why I didn't experience the vibration issue. The same applies to handling addressed below.

Quote:
Handling/Suspension: This is the first bike over 200 kgs I have owned so I'm not sure how widespread this issue is but through tight twisties I feel I really have to push on the inside bar firmly and pull the outer bar to get this baby to turn in to get the lean angle I want.
I speculate the handling "difficulty" you explained is mostly due to going from a significantly different handling bike. I'm not saying you are wrong as this is very subjective. I think it will be second nature as you become accustomed to it.

Quote:
Brakes: At first terrible. Now they have bed in they are OK. I would prefer more stopping power and will most probably upgrade them.
Brakes are kind of similar to the handling difficulty I addressed above. I know they are not as good as the FJR from which I most recently came. I've become accustomed to them and find them quite effective. I actually thought I would upgrade mine; but, after daily use, I have adjusted myself accordingly and find them effective.

Quote:
Ergonomics: I'm 6ft 33" inseam. My knees were starting to get a bit cramped towards the end of my 4 hour ride today so ideally I'm going to look at getting some adjustable rearsets a bit lower and more forward would sort it.
Ergonomics for you and me are the same. I got Rox up and back 1.25" risers and peg lowering kits from AdventureTech and it's a whole new (and better) ballgame for me.

Quote:
Wind Blast: I have the factory screen in the highest position and I am getting buffeting from the wind in the forehead area of my helmet from around 90 kmph plus. I can feel the blast from the mirrors too so I'm going to get the mirror risers and a better screen.
Wind blast was cured for me by the Madstad larger windscreen and brackets. These too were a game changer for me.
V650 likes this.

Last edited by BigSky; 07-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Givi Airflow screen gets very good write ups on here.

Perhaps give the bike 2/3000kms to break in before making a final decision on the vibes. Perhaps check torque on engine mounts. Synch throttle bodies , perhaps fill the crashbars with insulation foam as some have done to good effect. My 2016 only vibes a bit at arount 5300rpm +

On the forks I backed off the compression damping completely and also backed off the rebound damping some. They will soften up with some mileage. There is too much damping in them from the getgo.

I run the rear spring preload at least 75% of its range solo and 100% two up. That will help the steering by raising the back end. Michelin Road 5 Trail Tyres have also quickened the steering on mine.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #7 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Excellent info BigSky and Griff2 and I reckon you are right that I need to give it more time to settle in and overall get used to it. I'll chase up those screen options and it looks like most guys seem to sort it out with a bit of trial and error. Pretty sure my forks are completely non adjustable thats where I was thinking race tech springs. I'm going to check those bar risers out from Adventuretech - looks promising as I was leaning forward more than I'd like.

I will completely go over the bike tomorrow and cheers for the foam fill pointer on the crash bars - should be fairly simply to do but I'll wait to all the pannier bars are on first in case the resonant frequency shifts. I've just read entire threads tonight in regards to TB boots leaks and synch issues causing vibes so looking forward to inspecting that side of it too.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hey im also a new XT owner and feel compelled to post my experiences in response to your vibration issues.

I bought a 2019 XT a month ago and I don't think the motor is vibrating much, the pegs are crap but I don't feel much if anything from the bars, the bar-end weights are doing their job.
Its outfitted with a pair of Kappa KVenture 37l panniers, KVenture 58l top case, OEM centerstand and Hepco & Becker crash bars.
I've read people have vibration issues with the panniers but so far mine are solid. The KVenture are identical to Givi Trekkers.

I think the rpm assist is a godsend.

Also I got the Kappa Airstream windshield which is the same as the Givi Airflow, im 5,9 and couldn't be comfortable at speed before I changed screens.

My last bike was a Husqvarna 701, so I can sympathize on the handling.

I've done 1300kms so far and will be having the first time service this week.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-03-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Also wanted to point out that the white has a real nice pearl in it. I really love the colour. I never noticed it until it was under lights in my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190628_19060633.jpg (175.5 KB, 21 views)
SKM348 and Beach like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-04-2019, 05:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Congrats on your new bike, Looks great

2018 DL650AXT Mods
Corbin Seat
Garmin Zumo 396LMTS GPS
Cardo Bold JBL Comm.
SW Motech Crash Bars
Denali DR-1 Led Lights
IMS Adventure 1 Pegs
SW Motech EVO Tank Bags Micro, Engage
GIVI V47 Top Case
GIVI Skid Plate
OEM Center Stand
Zeta offset Risers
MZS Levers
Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders, Kick Stand Plate and Peg Lowering Kit
Helmet Guardian
Fenda Extenda
National Cycle V-Stream 19 inch Shield
ZETA Armor Hand guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode