Successful LED low beam install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Successful LED low beam install

OK, first off, really sorry about not taking pictures.

Successfully installed this LED Low Beam. It's white, and the HB is yellow, but I think you can get a yellow one too if you really care. I don't as I hardly ever use the HB. Now I don't have to worry about excess voltage crossing thru the starter switch housing, don't have to wait for an Eastern Beaver solution, and have a nice strong LED beam. I'm big on just brightness for cager visibility, I rarely ride at night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...operconvert-20

Entire procedure was about 4-5 hours, but that included 1-2 hours figuring out how to secure the bulb and fit the bulb plug outside the the housing. I'd say if I had my instructions below, it'd be about a 3 hour job.

1. Remove colored strakes with the name of the bike on them by also removing the U shaped plastic tank cover

2. Remove the "beak". Be careful as there is a screw that's hard to see under the headlight that screws into the beak. It's a single screw different size than all the others. Use an offset if you don't have a short enough screwdriver.

3. Remove the instrument panel/dash

4. Remove the round cover over the bulb by turning counterclockwise and pulling rearwards

5. Disconnect the bulb wires

6. Disconnect and remove completely the wire retaining clip for the bulb to include both its set screws. You won't be using it

7. Review and temporarily install the new LED bulb. (With the tab on top.) Notice how the wires and plug won't fit under the cap when you reinstall it, and notice how you have to route the wires outside the cap

8. With a utility knife or sharp pair of wire snips, cut two slots approx. at 4 and 8 o'clock in the outside edge of the bulb housing (not the cap), so the LED plug wires can be routed outside the bulb housing, along with the plug of course. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SNIP WHERE THE FEMALE SLOTS ARE IN THE BULB HOUSING FOR RECEIVING THE MALE CAP TABS. Another way might be to cut the wires, route them outside the cap by drilling two holes in the cap, then re-splice them, but that's not how I did it

9. Pile up about 1/2" or so of small about 3/4" square pieces of rubber or velcro so they stick to each other and stay in place in the EXACT inside center of the cap. Since you've removed the retaining wire clip, this will hold the bulb in place when you reinstall the cap. You may have to experiment with how tall of a pile to make, so it will press against the rear of the bulb firmly, but not too firmly. The reason I say about 3/4" wide BUT NOT MORE, is that it appears that the outside rear of the bulb has vents that allow air inside for the internal bulb fan to induct or extract. So you don't want your velcro or rubber to extend outside the center rear portion of the bulb because of this. I used some extra little double sided sticky sets of rubber pieces that came with my fender extender, but a pile of velcro would work just fine I think

10. Reinstall the LED bulb (with the tab on top), and route the two wires thru the little slots that you cut out and secure the plug under the bulb housing with zip ties

11. Install the cap making sure you have just enough material stuck in the inside center of the cap to press against and secure the LED bulb in place without forcing the cap in place. You should feel a slight resistance when you fit the cap in place before turning it clockwise to secure it

12. Reinstall everything in reverse order and pop a cold one

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Last edited by WingVetteStrom; 07-17-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the step-by-step. I've been thinking about doing this to mine.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Pick the right bulb and there's no cutting required plus it's a much quicker job.

I did have to adjust the headlight aim down quite a bit and that does take a while, more time than fitting the bulb.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Pick the right bulb and there's no cutting required plus it's a much quicker job.

I did have to adjust the headlight aim down quite a bit and that does take a while, more time than fitting the bulb.
You're lucky. I searched every thread I could find about what type of bulb was guaranteed to fit, and couldn't find anything.
Oh well, it's done now.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:

And that bulb is????
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Phi...cAAOSwS9JdEvya

"Philips H7 LED" were the search terms I used to find them again. Not made by Philips as far as I can tell, not 12000LM but they do work well.

I was lucky. Razor sharp cutoff in a DL1000 and drop straight in. I was amazed that there have been no thermal problems. If you aren't in Oz I'd suggest at least checking the photo from the AU site. I got quite a few hits for not these ones as well.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Phi...cAAOSwS9JdEvya

"Philips H7 LED" were the search terms I used to find them again. Not made by Philips as far as I can tell, not 12000LM but they do work well.

I was lucky. Razor sharp cutoff in a DL1000 and drop straight in. I was amazed that there have been no thermal problems. If you aren't in Oz I'd suggest at least checking the photo from the AU site. I got quite a few hits for not these ones as well.
The OP posted his info in the 650 forum. Your headlight fits a 1000. Don't know for sure if they are the same as far as headlights go.

'13 GL1800
'17 DL650A
post #8 of 9 Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I installed these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is a guy on VSRI that is an LED engineer and has a huge write up on bulb patterning and what to look for in a bulb.

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike
post #9 of 9 Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster shooter View Post
The OP posted his info in the 650 forum. Your headlight fits a 1000. Don't know for sure if they are the same as far as headlights go.
All the current DL's with headlights above one another use the same setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode