StromTrooper banner

Exhaust pipe reroute??

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  WingVetteStrom 
#1 · (Edited)
IMHO, the only major shortcome that I haven't fixed with farkles (or could fix with a suspension upgrade), is the ground clearance. I do trips to Mexico, and I like to do dirt roads, not to mention the horrendous speed bumps (topas) there. The 2018 Wee REALLY needs another 2" of ground clearance to meet the normal clearance of other ADV bikes.

If someone knows a way to reroute the front cylinder exhaust pipe from under the engine please tell me. If it's possible, and doesn't effect back pressure, I could have a skid plate manufactured. I'd do it in a heartbeat other than just cutting and welding and hoping the engine isn't affected. It would have to fit inside crash bars too for protection from a get off or tip over.

#2 ·
Pretty sure that you won't find a off-the-shelf solution.

There is not much (barely any) free space inside the frame. If you were really committed to do that, it will be a custom build. There are companies like Cone Engineering (https://www.coneeng.com) which sell short sections of SS exhaust cut in angles to allow welded twists and turns. Chances are you would also be changing to a relocated oil filter so that would give a path to run the exhaust out the left side and into the existing spaghetti of the rear cylinder exhaust.

Big job unless you are dating a welder ...
Are you tall enough to raise the bike a couple of inches ?

#3 ·
I looked at raising links. Problem is, the engine belly is about 1/2 between the front axle and the link attachment points, so you only get about half the raise where the money is. And with my 30" inseam, I'm right where I need to be now after I modified my seat about 3/4" lower.
I'm still curious if changing the length and amount of turns would somehow affect the front cylinder negatively. Hope I'm just overthinking this but not sure.

#5 ·
I can't imagine how an oil filter could be relocated, although the location of this one is seriously dumb. LOL!
My 2018 Honda Goldwing's filter actually sits recessed up into the engine case. Indestructible.

#8 ·
This one isn't specifically for the 650 but essentially a plate bolts on to the current location and hoses run to the remote location.

#11 ·
Reactions: NVDucati
#12 ·
Wow, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I always figured up the right side was the answer. Tried to PM him on ADV Rider but he's restricted his messaging. Still a lot of questions:

- Where splice the fwd pipe into the rear pipe?

- Any flashing required?

- How was the skid plate modified

- Many etc.'s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.