Strange noise from 4200 rpm - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Strange noise from 4200 rpm

Hello everyone. I have a noise/bad sound and I am not able to understand where it comes from.

My motorbike is a V-Strom 650 XT (2018), 6000 km
I tried to remove the crash bars and the wind screen, but the noise did not disappear. Crash bars are not the issue. I also clean and grease the chain very 1000 km. The chain has a 3 cm play.

The noise I hear is a sort of "uo uo uo" that starts on 6th gear from 4200 rpm. The frequency of this "uo uo uo" increases as the rpm increase.
I also noticed that on 2nd and 4th gear, from 4200 to 4500 rpm the noise coming from the engine is louder (it is like when you make noise with a glass using your wet finger).
At the end:
- 2nd and 4th gear from 4200 to 4500 rpm: louder
- 6th from 4200 rpa: louder + increasing "uo uo uo" (or vum vum vum...)

Two important things:
1) All noises disappear instantly when I pull the clutch. This should mean that the noise is not connected to speed.
2) The noises are not there when I put the motorbike on the central stand and I start up the engine and I accelerate to the 6th gear (i know that I should not do it...). This should mean that the noise "feels" my weight on the motorbike

I also bought earplugs but unfortunately I am still hearing the noise.

I know that I should ride and tell my self: "Who cares, the motorbike runs ok, so ride!", but the 4000-5000 rpm range is where I ride most.

Anyone with the same noise/sound?
Thank you guys!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

What make crash bars do you have?

I would suspect harmonics caused by the bars, especially the split center section. Is it rattling?

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have GIVI crash bars. I fixed the problem with the "rattle noise" when I was at 5.500 rpm.

I removed the crash bars and they were not the cause of this annoying noise/sound I have now.

This is not a rattle noise or a ticking noise.

This noise starts at 4200 rpm in 6th gear (I call it "uo uo uo sound") and it increases the frequency of the "uo uo uo" as the rpm increase. If I pull the clutch the noise disappears.

At the beginning I thought that something was wrong with my rear tire (perhaps bearings) but the noise is there just when the throttle is open.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
$tromtrooper

If it's what I think it is, it's normal. Or at least I think it's normal since my 650 did it since new. Like an oscillating wave sound.
Big B likes this.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #5 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yeahhhhh. You are right! It is an oscillating wave sound!!!! You got the point!

In my case it is an oscillating wave noise that increases the frequency like an old locomotive when it increases the speed (while I am increasing the rpm).

What I do not understand is why (almost) nobody does not hear it. Is it because I installed the Givi Airflow and mirror extensions that removed any turbulence?!?!

Anyhow I just would like to know what the reason is. Gearbox? Sprocket?
post #6 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Heh, I noticed it right after installing my Givi AF and mirror extenders too

I can only guess, but since it's RPM specific I'm going with engine/gearbox.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #7 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Mmmm...

Removing the Givi AF and the extensions is the solution!

Yeah!!!!!!!!

😂😂😂
Webfors likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Strange noise from 4200 rpm

Iím thinking the chain should be looser. Have someone look at it when youíre sitting on it. 3cm is only about an inch. The Stroms like the chain on the loose side of the range and maybe a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Webfors likes this.

2014 650 Strom

Last edited by Highwayman2016; 06-17-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
3cm is about an inch and a quarter, 1 13/64" to be pedantic.

@ale.opi
at 6000km you are due for a service.
Your chain needs light lubrication twice as often as you are doing it, and cleaning less than half as often.
Webfors likes this.

"I've recently come to the realization that true happiness can often be found at the bottom of an empty gas tank" - Prime
post #10 of 19 Old 06-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Highwayman might be on to something with the chain. On my 2017 650 I tightened up the chain after the 600 mile service
and it never had any gear whine at all. Then after - I noticed this oscillation sound at speed. Only at certain speeds and gears.
That was about 700 miles ago. I can still hear it but it's very faint now. Chain has a little more than 1 inch of slack.
Midway bottom run. It was about 2 inches prior. So OP it might be your chain is on the too tight side.
Webfors likes this.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , BeadRider Ceramic bead seat cover on order.
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system simmering on low in the oven.

Avatar image is a custom made Harley Sportster all hand built from junk parts from a retired engineers desk. Took 80 hours to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode