muffler lowering for 2017 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

muffler lowering for 2017 650

I have a kit to lower the muffler on my 2017 (after I slightly melted a set of bags).

Looking at my bike I can't see where I'd lower the muffler coming from the header side. The link kit makes sense, but not sure where in the exhaust line I'd be rotating it etc.

Here's some pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5TnMKqFk5DH1iuY68

Did the exhaust system change in 2017, the pics I've seen of other bikes look quite different.

Thanks!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
Did the exhaust system change in 2017, the pics I've seen of other bikes look quite different.
Yes, 2017+ has different exhaust than previous models. The muffler moved lower. Where did you get this kit? Link to it?
post #3 of 12 Old 06-12-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Yes, 2017+ has different exhaust than previous models. The muffler moved lower. Where did you get this kit? Link to it?
https://www.adventuretech.biz/saddle-bag-guards.html
>Standard offset is 2.5" (63 mm). Longer offsets by request at no extra charge. Free optional muffler lowering bracket with each set.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I'm sure the guy who sells/makes these would be happy to respond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Calling richlandrick
post #5 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The saddle bag guards will keep the bags out of the wheel. No doubt about that. And they work great with bags chosen given the space available. No doubt about that either.

However, people sometimes (too often?) choose a bag without considerign the space available. It is very easy to select a set of bags that are too big (deep) on the 2017 DL650. Espeacially for americans. We like more, bigger, etc. The fact of the matter is that you can not use deep/tall bags on the Wee3. You can not put a 13" tall bag in a 12" space espeacially if the that lower limit is due to the presence of a hot muffler.

Unlike the Vee2 and Vee3 (2014+ DL1000s), the muffler can not be lowered by loosing the clamp and turning it a few degrees. We offer a free muffler lower brakcet to help with these models. I woudl be happy to do teh same for the Wee3 if it were possible.

Howeer, the muffler on the 2017+ DL650 can not be adjusted lower. It is simply a limiting factor that must be taken into account when selected bags.

I recieved an email yesterday as follows.

Hi Rick,
Thanks for making the saddle bag guards.
I am using them with Nelson Rigg small extendable bags and they work great.
Good fit and no sagging.

I'll let the member identify himself, but his expereince is due in no small part to his choice of bag. Anyone trying to use a set of Nelson Rigg 850s (very tall, ~14" or so) on the same setup would be very unhappy in in short order.

This has been an onging challenge for Wee3 owners. I tried to start a thread a while back on bags that work well for the Wee3. Now we know those in the picture do. And of course many other manufacturer's shorter bags will work as well.

I'll try contating Nelson Rigg again tomorrow to see if we can sell their short exandable bag along with the saddle bag guards, but I suggest people with bags that fit let people know of their success. They woudl be doing their fellow riders a service.

Last edited by richlandrick; 06-13-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Unlike the Vee2 and Vee3 (2014+ DL1000s), the muffler can not be lowered by loosing the clamp and turning it a few degrees. We offer a free muffler lower brakcet to help with these models. I woudl be happy to do teh same for the Wee3 if it were possible.
I think we have some confusion because the page for the "Guards for Soft Saddlebags ​2014+ DL1000 and 2017+ DL650" says "Free optional muffler lowering bracket with each set." No mention that our model is excluded.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Try something like this. I put 2 of them on and have no issues.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/ha...st-heat-shield
post #8 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I'll check our webpages and clean them up if needed. Originally the saddlebag guards were for just the 2014+ DL1000. I think that was the source of any misleading text.

OP,

Call me or send a contact form from our website if needed. I know there is a need here and have tried to help.

Last edited by richlandrick; 06-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I'll check our webpages and clean them up if needed. Originally the saddlebag guards were for just the 2014+ DL1000. I think that was the source of any misleading text.

OP,

Call me or send a contact form from our website if needed. I know there is a need here and have tried to help.
Just wanted to say thanks to Rick for all his assistance. No complaints there at all!

Thanks again!

I've got the nelson riggs SE-3050 which are definitely too tall for my setup. I'm going to install a muffler guard and when I repair my bags from the heat damage I'm going to throw on a layer of heat tape so it doesn't happen again.

I really wish I'd found the adventuretech soft saddle bag guards before I threw money into my givi racks.
richlandrick likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
I really wish I'd found the adventuretech soft saddle bag guards before I threw money into my givi racks.

Very interested in this topic as I have been debating soft vs hard bags for some time now. I like the way those smaller Nelson Rigg bags look on Rickís supports and they would be sufficient for most of my purposes. I also have a couple of spare pelican 1500 cases that I am considering converting to hard luggage. Iíd like to find a rack that can accommodate either and Iím wondering what your thoughts on the Givi rack is specific to soft luggage, depth issue of your current bags notwithstanding? Iím guessing if you had the smaller Nelson Rigg bags they may be more suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 V-Strom 650 XT - Champion Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode