Wheel Balancing - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Wheel Balancing

I have a 2018 V-Strom 650 XT with the spoke wheels. I have 3,000 miles on the bike, give or take.
Coming in from work the other day, I pulled in the clutch as I was coming to a red light and uncharacteristically coasted just a bit. I felt what I thought was an ever-so-slight bounce to the front wheel. As the 3,000 mile mark was coming, I thought I would change the oil this weekend and inspect the wheel and see if perhaps I had thrown a wheel balancing weight. Upon inspection, I can find no weights on either wheel. No standard weights, no spoke-mounted weights, no stick-on weights. Nothing.
Am I missing something here? It's been a long, long time since I rode a bike with spoke wheels but is there some unseen balancing method that I am unaware of or did I buy a bike that missed the wheel balancing? Any insight on how the factory balances these wheels would be appreciated.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The stock tires have a somewhat agressive tread, intended for a bit of dirt, and the front tends to wear unevenly. My front was badly scalloped at 6000 miles, to the point I could feel the bounce while rolling around in the garage. This could be causing the bounce you feel.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #3 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Most people do not bother balancing motorcycle wheels, Most manufacturers put a marking (e.g., red dot) on the tire indicatng where the tire should be oriented in relation to the valve stem.

When I changed the tires on my ST1300 I studied up on how to balance motorcycle wheels. There is a lot of information out there on how to build your wheel balancer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...w=1242&bih=539

I built one using very high quality low friction bearings. After a while I relaized that the wheel would rather spin on it's own wheel bearings than the balacers' bearings. Eventually it became apparent that aligning the red dot was all that was needed.

But check what system your tire manufacturer uses to identify the spot and where it should be aligned. Installing the tire 180 degrees out will surely give you an unbalanced wheel.

post #4 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scab View Post
Upon inspection, I can find no weights on either wheel. No standard weights, no spoke-mounted weights, no stick-on weights. Nothing.
Strange that it would have no signs of balancing from the factory. My cast wheels had clip-on weights with the original tires.

You could insert some balancing beads or Ride On to get you to the next tire change.
post #5 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe you got the unicorn.

I balance my tires, sometimes the weight needed is an ounce or more. But, currently I have a set of Michelin Anakee 3s on and both wheels only required a single 1/4 ounce weight.

My experience differs from Ricks, my balancing stand has far easier bearings to rotate than my wheel bearings.

As for "do they need to be balanced", probably not. But I do other silly stuff when I am loving on my motorcycle.
Big B and dravnx like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #6 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

And I will add that 1/4 ounce of weight really should not be able to be felt. I have a balancer. I sometimes balance my tires. Sometimes I don't. I have had one tire that balance seemed to be off on, that was a front Roadsmart. But I also think I lost a couple of the weights that normally are left in place on it....

By far the most common reason you feel a bounce or even a vibration in tires is due to them being out of round or the tread has developed scalloping, feathering, or some kind of uneven wear. The more open the tread patter is, the more prominent the tread issues are likely to become. No amount of weights will fix an out of round tire, they might reduce the effect. This can be a bad tire, or in some cases a tire that didn't seat properly on the beads.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I balance my tires and then put ceramic beads in. My bike runs down the highway smooth as glass.

And before the flames of how I donít have to do both come my way itís my time and if I prefer to get it weighted as close to balance as possible then just use the beads to true up the tiny difference thatís my preference. It doesnít waste your time unless you complain about it.
bobbyvstrom and RLBranson like this.

Formerly clovett but changed to my gaming name

2004 DL650 1998 DR650 1994 CB1000 1992 DR350
2004 Z400 1965 Norton 650 1984 Honda XL200
1975 Suzuki RM125 1972 Yamaha 100 enduro
1971 Honda CT90 1968 Honda Z50A
post #8 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just simply put in 1oz of tempered glass CounterAct beads in the front tire and 2 oz in the rear tire and call it a day. I don't even get to concerned with lining up the dots. Lately on upper tier tires they don't even have a dots to line up.

I know there are different schools of though on if balance beads do or do not work. All I can say is maybe its a placebo effect but my tires always runs smooth.
post #9 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I balance all tires upon installation. I have a box of thin adhesive-backed motorcycle weights courtesy of Crest Industries. The balancer is a No-Mar balancing stand with adapters for all types of bike rim centers.
If I have the rim off the bike for a tire change, fork work, or sprocket change, and I have the balancer, why woudnt I balance, or at least check the wheel?
You dont know what you dont know, and you can't know unless you check. Tha balancer allows me to do that. You buy it one time and you'll have it forever.
post #10 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

If anyone with cast wheels needs OEM clip-on reusable balancing weights, click *HERE*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode