Wheel Balancing - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I've never really considered the necessity of balancing a motorcycle tire. I've just always assumed that this much mass spinning at the speeds required for highway and interstate speeds would necessitate it. I cannot see the manufacturing process of a tire nor the manufacturing process of a spoke wheel being good enough to negate the need. I don't even want to consider the variables involved in trying to marry the two if even the manufacturing process did accomplish it.
I may be the exception but I did not buy this bike with any intention of ever riding anywhere but pavement. I bought the bike to tour (as much and as far as current health permits). Ergonomics, weight, and cost were the deciding factors.
I have a wheel balancer for motorcycle wheels but haven't used it in many years due to using tire beads instead. I know there is a lot of debate in the world over the effectiveness beads but my personal experience has yielded more mileage and less/no cupping on the same tire/same bike. I've ordered beads and will install those and see how it reacts.

Edit: I forgot to add: The only other thing I could find upon inspection was that the front tire was low on air. I'm sure any pavement irregularities would feel exaggerated while riding on partially-inflated balloons. I'm still putting beads in.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Last edited by scab; 06-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
At freeway speeds underinflated tires will cause a heat buildup within the tire carcass which will cause accelerated and unusual wear. Air pressure resists heat buildup.
Look at how race teams are always chasing the perfect pressure. Too much air and ultimate grip is not achieved. Too little air and the tire overheats. Both effect grip and tire life.
Big B and Big Boy like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #13 of 45 Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
At freeway speeds under inflated tires will cause a heat buildup within the tire carcass which will cause accelerated and unusual wear. Air pressure resists heat buildup.
Look at how race teams are always chasing the perfect pressure. Too much air and ultimate grip is not achieved. Too little air and the tire overheats. Both effect grip and tire life.
Think of an underinflated tire this way:

When the tire contacts the street surface, the sidewall of the tire flexes. An underinflated tire flexes more than a properly inflated tire. Greater flexing generates more heat.

Just think of what happens when you take a piece of metal and flex it back and forth. Heat buildup, metal fatigue, then failure. The metal breaks.

Here is Motorcyclist Garage video on the subject.

Big B and Brockie like this.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields

post #14 of 45 Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

As for balancing...
You can't assume the bare rim is in perfect balance either.
Occasionally when replacing a tire I'll put just the rim on the balancer. I never see them right on the beam,
Mount the tire and balance the assembly and youre done.
Similar to someone telling me their car doesnt need an alignment, saying the the car doesnt pull, has no abnormal tire wear, and the steering wheel is straight going down the road. I'd put the car on the rack, and show the customer the printout--and it was out of spec. Then they would drive the car and come back grinning, saying it steers much better.
A smoother ride is a benefit, but not the real reason for balancing. If a tire is out of balance, the heavy spot will take some of the weight off the tread as it rotates upward. In some circumstances of speed and traction, balance is a safety factor.
scab likes this.
post #15 of 45 Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I want my wheels to be balanced for riding, not for spinning on my balancing stand. I put the beads in then take a test spin down a glass smooth high speed road and check closely for balance and so far with beads it is always in balance. since I started using beads my balancing stand has been gathering dust and may be put up for sale. I tried Ride On and after while it went thick and gummy and out of balance on me. many years ago I tried "tire balancing fluid" and it got thick and did not work. P J chemicals had a tire balancing liquid that they took off the market due to a lot of customer complaints. I haven't heard anybody say that the beads did not work for them. maybe they are paid to keep quiet.
post #16 of 45 Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

If you can mount a new tire onto the rim, not balance it, and ride away with the bike performing flawlessly as far as any vibrations from the tires.......

If you install beads in a new tire, not balance it, and ride away with the bike performing flawlessly as far as any vibration from the tires.....

Do you see the correlation there?

I have heard complaints from owners using beads. I have heard owners swear by them. If they were actually anything near as good as advertised, OEM would put them in tires on new bikes and cars.

Why add weight and make it harder to change tires? I think beads are pretty much non functional. But if they make the owner happy, that is ALL that matters.
Big B, Dread7 and hoggdoc like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #17 of 45 Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
If you can mount a new tire onto the rim, not balance it, and ride away with the bike performing flawlessly as far as any vibrations from the tires.......

If you install beads in a new tire, not balance it, and ride away with the bike performing flawlessly as far as any vibration from the tires.....

Do you see the correlation there?

I have heard complaints from owners using beads. I have heard owners swear by them. If they were actually anything near as good as advertised, OEM would put them in tires on new bikes and cars.

Why add weight and make it harder to change tires? I think beads are pretty much non functional. But if they make the owner happy, that is ALL that matters.
What about tires that have a vibration and then you install beads through the valve stem and the vibration goes away?

How do beads make a tire harder to change? When dismounting a tire with beads in it the beads lay in the side wall. When the tire comes off the rime simply stand it up and the beads lay in the bottom of the tire where they can be reclaimed with a simple piece of stiff paper or thin plastic.

To install the beads I set both tire beads then deflate the thre and break the bead in one area. Then I have a bottle with a pointed nozzle and a piece of hose on it I extend into the body of the tire lift the bottle upright and the beads pour in. Reinstall the valve core inflate and reset the small section of tire bead and your done. It adds maybe 2 minutes to the entire process.

Unless I personally put beads in the tire I have no idea what tires do and don't have beads in them. Either way I don't change the dismounting/mounting process at all. Basically beads or no beads the process is the same. Its only getting beads into the tire that a little different.
Hatchi and dust_buster like this.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 06-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #18 of 45 Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
What about tires that have a vibration and then you install beads through the valve stem and the vibration goes away?
I wouldn't know about that. In the past 14 years that I have been back riding, I have yet to have a tire that had a vibration when I mounted them up and rode away with them.

If I have a motorcycle tire that does vibrate, I want to know why. Not put a band aid on it. If it is out of round, I want to remount it to see if it was a bead seating issue. If it would seem out of balance, I would try to balance it. If I were not happy with the amount of weight required, I would spin it 180 degrees on the rim and try again. If that still took more weight than I was comfortable with, I would demount it and send it back.

But so far I have never had to send one back.
hoggdoc likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #19 of 45 Old 06-11-2019, 09:46 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Seems to be the luck of the draw with tires, I have some new tires on my Valkyrie and it bounces up and down like a pogo stick. Got somewhat better with beads and running pressure to the max, but either way something is wrong with one of both of these tires. Buddy who did my tires has a business doing such, he said they static balanced no problem......go figure.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #20 of 45 Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I wouldn't know about that. In the past 14 years that I have been back riding, I have yet to have a tire that had a vibration when I mounted them up and rode away with them.

If I have a motorcycle tire that does vibrate, I want to know why. Not put a band aid on it. If it is out of round, I want to remount it to see if it was a bead seating issue. If it would seem out of balance, I would try to balance it. If I were not happy with the amount of weight required, I would spin it 180 degrees on the rim and try again. If that still took more weight than I was comfortable with, I would demount it and send it back.

But so far I have never had to send one back.
I'm not sure balance beads are a "band Aid" so much as simply another way to balance a tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode