Galfer or Spiegler ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Galfer or Spiegler ?

I am looking to further improve the braking by installing SS/Teflon lines on my Wee. EBC has a complete set F/R but I haven't seen anyone that's used them. I love their pads but not sure about lines.
Also, I see that you can buy a "split" line system, where you have a direct runs to both the RH and LH brake calipers or keep the stock set-up.
Has anyone done the "split" line set-up or should I just go with the stock Galfer set-up?
Also, did you use "regular" brake bleeding or a vacuum bleeder?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
DesertBike likes this.

Phil C.
2017 DL650AL Wee-Strom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hopefully you'll find *THIS* helpful

Edit: ...and bleeding procedure is perfectly normal. Nothing unique about bleeding this bike.
richlandrick likes this.

Last edited by brock29609; 06-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
It's your call whether to get the Galfer kit with stock hose style (T-junction) or the 2 independent lines "split" setup. The stock-style hose is a few more $ than a split setup, due to the additional hardware, but lets you re-use the stock hose supports. I don't think one is really better than the other, just different.

That said, I wouldn't expect the new lines to actually change braking. Some say the SS lines improve "feel," but that's subjective.

For bleeding, a vacuum bleeder is really nice to have. The simple, cheap hand-powered one sold at Harbor Freight is fine. I mean the $20 one that looks like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-...Kit-63391.html

It is better quality and easier to use than the more expensive Mityvac kit (MV8000). I've owned both, wish I had bought the cheaper HF version first.
brock29609 likes this.

2007 Vee with too many farkles

post #4 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
If you go with Galfer please ask for an extra "olive crush washer". I lost one on installation and they are nowhere to be found but Galfer. They sent me a spare no charge but the bike was down for 10 days. So do yourself a favor and have a backup...
post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
That said, I wouldn't expect the new lines to actually change braking. Some say the SS lines improve "feel," but that's subjective.

For bleeding, a vacuum bleeder is really nice to have. The simple, cheap hand-powered one sold at Harbor Freight is fine. I mean the $20 one that looks like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-...Kit-63391.html

It is better quality and easier to use than the more expensive Mityvac kit (MV8000). I've owned both, wish I had bought the cheaper HF version first.
What he said on both accounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbytx View Post
Has anyone done the "split" line set-up?
Is this even possible on a '17+ with the ABS? I'm thinking not. You have to connect to the hard lines that run behind the radiator.

I'm telling ya, the best bang for the buck with braking on this bike is to visit SVracingparts.com. They sell adapter brackets for 4-piston calipers, and they have a list of calipers that fit the V-strom. Get calipers on ebay, mount with the adapter brackets, leave your stock lines alone, and find a used 5/8" master cylinder from an older V-strom 650 or 1000. Your original 14mm master cylinder won't move enough fluid to push all those pistons.

Or if you want simplier for less money, just get EBC HH pads up front. They have more bite than the stock HH pads.
DesertBike and Hatchi like this.

Last edited by brock29609; 06-07-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach23101 View Post
If you go with Galfer please ask for an extra "olive crush washer". I lost one on installation and they are nowhere to be found but Galfer. They sent me a spare no charge but the bike was down for 10 days. So do yourself a favor and have a backup...
That's weird, I got extra crush washers with all of my Galfer line sets. Wasn't an issue.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Is this even possible on a '17+ with the ABS? I'm thinking not. You have to connect to the hard lines that run behind the radiator.
OK, I guess that's why Galfer only offers a replacement line set that is similar to the factory hoses. I was wondering about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
I'm telling ya, the best bang for the buck with braking on this bike is to visit SVracingparts.com. They sell adapter brackets for 4-piston calipers, and they have a list of calipers that fit the V-strom. Get calipers on ebay, mount with the adapter brackets, leave your stock lines alone, and find a used 5/8" master cylinder from an older V-strom 650 or 1000. Your original 14mm master cylinder won't move enough fluid to push all those pistons.

Or if you want simplier for less money, just get EBC HH pads up front. They have more bite than the stock HH pads.
Right, if you want to actually increase braking force, you've gotta change the pads, calipers, or discs. More bite, more pots, or more diameter.

Not that anyone asked, but IMO OP would be better served spending money on a riding class. That'll do way more for his braking than unnecessarily "upgrading" the brake lines.
Dubldee17 likes this.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

We have the Galfer lines in stock at a discount.

We offer the Race set-up (two lines from master cylinder to front caliper on non abs models. Theoretically you "could" do the same for the AB models with some fancy fitting work. However, i don't think I have actually ever encountered one.
DesertBike likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Brake lines, EBC HH pads and other things.

DesertBike,

FYI - This OP has been riding over 55 years and was a road racer back in the "Old Country". Even rode the IoM TT/GP course several times......
Regularly ride the Texas Hill Country roads, being as that was one of the reasons we retired down here

I do agree that anyone buying a motorcycle should take the MSF courses, being as the standards for buying a motorcycle/basic motorcycling skills, here in the USA, are pretty pathetic.

I already did the EBC HH pad upgrades, both front and rear. They are a noticeable improvement over stock!!!

Just trying to improve the "feel" plus SS/Teflon lines are superior to rubber lines in both construction and longevity.
Love the Wee but mainly looking at non re-constructional improvements, to get it a little better.

Very happy with the bike overall and impressed with its "Swiss Army Knife" qualities. Quite a bit different from my road Norton Dommies/SS's and my racing Manx. I was a "Norton Man" back in the days of Mods and Rockers......
NVDucati and DesertBike like this.

Phil C.
2017 DL650AL Wee-Strom.

Last edited by Philbytx; 06-08-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Keep your stock lines if they are long enough and just upgrade the calipers. Bleeding the abs took a lot of effort and time when I upgraded my lines. The splitter blocks are a pia too. The stock lines have steel mesh and are double lined, so not any different performance wise imho. The 4 pot calipers are really what made the giant difference for me. I read that they don't fit on spoked wheels, fyi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode