Aluminum Panniers with Stock exhaust question... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ERockJL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Aluminum Panniers with Stock exhaust question...

I tried to search around a little for my answer but didn't find something that satisfies me.

Newbie here, first post. I actually made an account here probably around 10 years ago or so when I nearly bought a Wee and was asking questions. Glad to be officially on board now.

Hi, as of yesterday I am the proud new owner of a new 2018 (unsold at dealer from last year) Wee-strom. I got a good price because its last year's model. It comes with the factory plastic side cases which I am fully unimpressed with. They remind me of a cheap plastic tool box you would buy at Wal-mart. An accidental tip over from a stand still would probably destroy them. And they don't even operate very smoothly and easily. And the dealer says Suzuki values them at around $1000, good lord... I'll try to push it out of my brain that I absorbed that part of the cost.

Anyway I have on order a pair of Tusk panneiers which were intended for my Honda CB500x, a bike which I've decided to replace last week. My question in regards to the '17+ V-strom. Do you guys fit the panniers so they sit above the stock muffler? Do the existing aluminum cases available from the aftermarket have an easy work around for this, or does it require exhaust modification?

A little help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I forgot to add. I was wondering if someone could best recommend a pannier rack that is most likely to suit my needs. I realize there doesn't exist a specific Tusk rack to fit my Wee.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM
#motoref

Garage
my givi are "outside". It's actually under there a good way.

No idea what rack's hold Tusk.

Scott Patton
2017 Vstrom DL650A XT
Givi Trekker Dolomiti Cases, SW-Motech Centerstand
Adventure Tech Fork Brace, Customized 4-way Flashers
Adventure Tech RAM Mirror Extenders w/RAM Mounts
Clearwater Darla Light

post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
my givi are "outside". It's actually under there a good way.

No idea what rack's hold Tusk.

By "outside" do you mean the box sits out further than the exhaust? Or the inside edge is further out than the exhaust rather? Would would happen to have a rear view pic?

I know there is no Vstrom rack specific to Tusk. It's going to be a matter of which rack it is most adaptable to.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Here are the medium Tusks on my 2014 mounted on Moose Racing racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM
#motoref

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Dog View Post
By "outside" do you mean the box sits out further than the exhaust? Or the inside edge is further out than the exhaust rather? Would would happen to have a rear view pic?

I know there is no Vstrom rack specific to Tusk. It's going to be a matter of which rack it is most adaptable to.
I was a little wrong. Photo tells the story.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scott Patton
2017 Vstrom DL650A XT
Givi Trekker Dolomiti Cases, SW-Motech Centerstand
Adventure Tech Fork Brace, Customized 4-way Flashers
Adventure Tech RAM Mirror Extenders w/RAM Mounts
Clearwater Darla Light
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
I was a little wrong. Photo tells the story.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That would be just what I'm looking for. My tusk panniers arrived today and I basically decided I might as well order pretty much whatever for a rack. They appear to pretty much hold boxes in the same places anyway.

I also notice that the first generation of 'stroms seem to have the exhaust tucked in closer to the bike. A shame Suzuki screwed that up. Or even angling it down so the tip is 3-4" lower would have been nice so a box can nicely sit over top. Especially when this is the sort of bike that many would attach boxes to. Ah well, not a big thing.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah Dog View Post
I also notice that the first generation of 'stroms seem to have the exhaust tucked in closer to the bike. A shame Suzuki screwed that up. Or even angling it down so the tip is 3-4" lower would have been nice so a box can nicely sit over top. Especially when this is the sort of bike that many would attach boxes to. Ah well, not a big thing.
No argument on angling down, but if you had a 1st Gen your right case would be positioned in the neighboring ZIP code.

Last edited by brock29609; 06-04-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I will not discount the fact that the plastic side cases for their utility are poor as they are very small for touring. But, i dropped my bike from center and the right case took all the weight and basically saved me a bunch of moola. It even bent the passenger bracket it is attached to. They are well made, for a compact sleek case, but can be a pain to load from the side. not telling you to keep them, just other info for people who see your post.
andrep likes this.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode