NES Throttle Lock - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
NES Throttle Lock

Hi All,

New member here - thanks for the great forum.

Does anyone use a NES throttle lock on their 650 - and do you like it?

Thanks.
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you meant NEP throttle lock I am using one on my 2018. I had a couple of them from previous bikes and I like them better than any other throttle lock I have tried. I have used NEP on my ST1100, 2004 Wee, 3 Triumph Tiger 800s, FJR and now my 2018 Wee. I don't know which one I have on the 2018 but the tab to keep it from rotating is between the 2 throttle cables. In that location the NEP is rotated lower than I like so I will either cut a groove in it and put it onto the lower throttle cable or rotate it even farther past the lower cable and secure it by some as yet to be defined method. The grip on my 2018 has a groove that goes over a lip on the throttle tube. The NEP needs to go on the grip side of that lip so the grip needs to be shortened. I had a G2 Throttle Tamer from my Tigers so I replaced the original throttle tube with it and then put the NEP on. I also have a throttle rocker on the hand grip to periodically give my hand a rest. I hope to put a Rostra electronic cruise control on the bike soon as I have one of those in my parts collection.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I tried to correct my post, but could not find the edit option. I had heard you need to make modifications..... it sure I want to do that. I think I will seek other options.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have put the NEP throttle locks on all four of my DL1000s and helped my son put one on his 2019 650XT. There are a couple of mods you have to make to get it to work but you don't have to remove or shorten the rubber grip. You do have to make a spacer to fit under the bracket that would normally attach to a cable housing with a screw and you have to cut two little nubs off of the nylon throttle sleeve. Here are some basic instructions. It doesn't take long at all to do this. The pictures are of my 2019 DL1000 but the 650 is quite similar. The throttle lock to use is the NEP CRUISE CC4-SUZUKI

Before you begin, you will have to roll the end of the rubber grip away from the ridge of the throttle sleeve and trim two little nubs off of that ridge. You may also have to trim a couple of nubs off the inside of the rubber grip. Then the throttle lock will drop right into place:
On the opposite end of the lock, you will see a small piece of wood under the brace that you would normally screw into the throttle housing. It is a spacer I cut from a paint stirring stick (.21” thick) and super glued to the underside of the brace (the gap on the 650 is a little different so adjust accordingly). To that I attached a piece of “hook” Velcro (industrial grade). Make the spacer just long and wide enough for the glue on the Velcro to get a good grip. The “loop” Velcro I stuck right to the throttle cable housing. Because it is not very wide where it attaches, I cut the piece extra wide and rolled it over and stuck it to the side of the housing to give it extra grip to hold.

Mine turned out nice and sturdy and works perfectly. I used a magic marker to color the spacer black to match everything else. It sounds a lot harder than it really is to do. The throttle lock goes in easily once the nubs on the grip housing are removed. The only hard part is anchoring the bracket so it won't rotate.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEP CC4.jpg (315.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Image[2].jpg (249.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (294.3 KB, 12 views)
post #5 of 5 Old 05-30-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Jim Judd- Super helpful!!!! Thanks so much for your time and effort!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode