Your Bike IS Off-Road Capable - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Short one here for ya!
Birchgroover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 06-26-2019, 08:07 PM
$tromtrooper

Nicely done, but that is way more into it than I would be comfortable with while riding my 650. Getting close to buying a 2nd bike (Most likely a WR250R) for slower more technical riding. Enjoy seeing what you can put the DL through.

Bob S 2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2018 Yamaha WR250
1984 Honda VF 500f Maybe more coming up from the lower list
Previous loves:
2017 Yamaha YZ250X
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca 1978 Honda CB550
1974 Suzuki GT380 1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (Bought while Mom was out of town)
post #23 of 46 Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 AM
$tromtrooper

TSM, you might already know this, but you lost your uphill momentum around the one min mark on the last video. This caused you to lose a good line to avoid the washed crevices. On a steep climb, momentum is critical to maintain traction and to get over/through obstacles. Kudos for getting out there and making the attempt!

Btw, on that last sloppy muddy segment....nope, this doode would have turned around Mud is just too much work and zero pleasure for me.

And if you have not already, try a 14T front sprocket.....it will make those climbs much easier and your style of riding would get a big benefit. .

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

Last edited by Motor7; 06-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.

post #24 of 46 Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
TSM, you might already know this, but you lost your uphill momentum around the one min mark on the last video. This caused you to lose a good line to avoid the washed crevices. On a steep climb, momentum is critical to maintain traction and to get over/through obstacles. Kudos for getting out there and making the attempt!

Btw, on that last sloppy muddy segment....nope, this doode would have turned around Mud is just too much work and zero pleasure for me.

And if you have not already, try a 14T front sprocket.....it will make those climbs much easier and your style of riding would get a big benefit. .
Oh I am fully aware of what I did wrong hahaha. I'm actually doing a breakdown video on this last one with tips on what to do and what not to do. Another problem I had was that damn tank bag. It's great when I'm just touring around, but when I need to get up on the pegs it gets me right in the crotch so I avoid standing. Hence why I didn't correct my trajectory, hence why I went through that stupid rut, hence why I lost momentum and was cursing myself the whole time for making my life more difficult hahaha. Definitely a good observation though!
post #25 of 46 Old 07-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I suppose it could be said that a Goldwing is "offroad capable". Indeed on several occasions some mischevious behaviour on the part of my GPS and/or my riding buddies had me on tracks that were less than desirable on my former GL1800. It coped and so did I. However "offroad capable" is subjective, and heavily dependant on the ability of the rider. Obviously Your escapades on the DL in the videos is more down to You than the bike. I tried mine offroad just once and the sound of stuff walloping the underside had me cringing. Sure I should have fitted a bashplate but that would have compromised ground clearance even more. In the end I am continuing to confine my offroading to my delightful little CRF250L. Much more fun and not remotely as expensive in a fall. 👍

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #26 of 46 Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff2 View Post
I suppose it could be said that a Goldwing is "offroad capable". Indeed on several occasions some mischevious behaviour on the part of my GPS and/or my riding buddies had me on tracks that were less than desirable on my former GL1800. It coped and so did I. However "offroad capable" is subjective, and heavily dependant on the ability of the rider. Obviously Your escapades on the DL in the videos is more down to You than the bike. I tried mine offroad just once and the sound of stuff walloping the underside had me cringing. Sure I should have fitted a bashplate but that would have compromised ground clearance even more. In the end I am continuing to confine my offroading to my delightful little CRF250L. Much more fun and not remotely as expensive in a fall. 👍
Listen, if you find video of someone off-roading with a Goldwing, please, for the love of God send it my way LOL
post #27 of 46 Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSexyMedic View Post
Listen, if you find video of someone off-roading with a Goldwing, please, for the love of God send it my way LOL

post #28 of 46 Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are some of Harleys offroad also

post #29 of 46 Old 07-15-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
This is AMAZING
post #30 of 46 Old 07-20-2019, 06:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

any bike is off-road capable, it's just the nature of 2 wheels. For me though v-strom is more of sport touring bike, as stated by suzuki BTW.
For off-road job I'd rather take my tenere or ktm 500 exc.

Nevertheless this video of v-strom 650xt enduro is freaking awesome!

richlandrick likes this.

Last edited by offnote; 07-20-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode