Your Bike IS Off-Road Capable - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 46 Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with and disagree with everything BigSky agrees with and disagrees with.
Big B and BigSky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Ok, when I posted I had not watched the whole video. Those earlier trails were wet but not boggy, as you progressed further the conditions got a lot worse. We all ride off pavement for 'fun' and I would not even have had 'fun' on a 250 race bike in that same muddy mess. Now, if that trail was dry, it would be a blast on the DL. You had the balls to try it and the common sense to turn around...win win

I live on 100 ac and the terrain here is mostly steep. Before I bought my first DL I was on a DR350, then a DRZ. When it was wet I stayed off my own trails and even centered a tree with the DRZ when sliding on leaves that were dry on top, but wet underneath. There are really only two conditions that limit the DL off road with proper knobbs and that is wet/mud and deep sand(no.... I am not a good in sand or should I say sand kicks my ass?).

Some are thinking "ground clearance" as a DL handicap but I have never had many real serious clearance issues. If I can get the skid plate up on the object then momentum gets me over and off with a little bit of "frying pan over river rock" noise.

You would really enjoy Moab, especially Moab in Sept(driest month). You can ride challenging trails all day long for a week and never do the same trail twice. On a DL it is an absolute blast. When doing the White Rim Trail we noticed miles of hard sun baked mud ruts and my buddy and I were thankful they were not wet because it would have forced us to turn around. Maybe you canucks will want to head to the SW in Sept?? I plan on being out there someplace....CO, AZ,NM, UT.
TheSexyMedic likes this.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #13 of 46 Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM
$tromtrooper

BigSky, you are right, music preferences are like an oil thread...everyone's opinion varies. I am sincerely grateful to the technology that allows us all listen to what we like while riding without making others suffer

15 DL650XT

post #14 of 46 Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Next time, some firmer and drier single track please.
YeSSSSSSS!
TheSexyMedic likes this.

15 DL650XT
post #15 of 46 Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Ok, when I posted I had not watched the whole video. Those earlier trails were wet but not boggy, as you progressed further the conditions got a lot worse. We all ride off pavement for 'fun' and I would not even have had 'fun' on a 250 race bike in that same muddy mess. Now, if that trail was dry, it would be a blast on the DL. You had the balls to try it and the common sense to turn around...win win

I live on 100 ac and the terrain here is mostly steep. Before I bought my first DL I was on a DR350, then a DRZ. When it was wet I stayed off my own trails and even centered a tree with the DRZ when sliding on leaves that were dry on top, but wet underneath. There are really only two conditions that limit the DL off road with proper knobbs and that is wet/mud and deep sand(no.... I am not a good in sand or should I say sand kicks my ass?).

Some are thinking "ground clearance" as a DL handicap but I have never had many real serious clearance issues. If I can get the skid plate up on the object then momentum gets me over and off with a little bit of "frying pan over river rock" noise.

You would really enjoy Moab, especially Moab in Sept(driest month). You can ride challenging trails all day long for a week and never do the same trail twice. On a DL it is an absolute blast. When doing the White Rim Trail we noticed miles of hard sun baked mud ruts and my buddy and I were thankful they were not wet because it would have forced us to turn around. Maybe you canucks will want to head to the SW in Sept?? I plan on being out there someplace....CO, AZ,NM, UT.
I've got to say, as a guy who's 5ft 10in, I very much enjoy the lower height of the bike. It allows me to paddle walk when in the really deep gross stuff (or when I'm lazy lol). I 100% agree with you on the wet mud/deep sand! I also agree with you on ground clearance; I don't find it to be much of an issue.... until I lose momentum like you saw in the video haha.

God I would love to go down to Moab! This year is definitely not going to happen because I'm going back to school for nine months starting in September. However, I'm taking a 12 month LOA and it should only take about 9 months to complete my program if I bury my head....... What would things be looking like in June/July/August of 2020?

PS: Thanks to everyone for the replies of encouragement/constructive criticism!
Working on a custom luggage rack now........... Will probably take a couple of weeks to complete due to scheduling conflicts lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desktop Screenshot 2019.05.16 - 12.32.39.98 (2).jpg (367.5 KB, 23 views)
Big B likes this.
post #16 of 46 Old 05-16-2019, 01:15 PM
$tromtrooper

TSM, I have not been West during those months - june/July/Aug . It's peak touris season and the kids are out of school. So this means the national parks and campgrounds are generally full and bumper to bumper traffic at some. This would force me to BLM camp when available which is free but zero amenities which means water rationing. Next is the heat and again it's peak heat months.

Last is my selfishness of bailing out of peak Giant Ragweed season at home. For 30ish days these plants seriously kick my ass. It works out though because I avoid the crowds and catch dry weather to hit the trails.

As you can see by my map I need to go the NE, I hear Maine is amazing in the summer so that's on my short list this year, along with 3 weeks West in Sept.

Aug is out, we will be in Minnedosa Manitoba visiting family and attending Rockin the Fields concert:
Rockinthefields.ca

15 DL650XT
post #17 of 46 Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
post #18 of 46 Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
TSM, I have not been West during those months - june/July/Aug . It's peak touris season and the kids are out of school. So this means the national parks and campgrounds are generally full and bumper to bumper traffic at some. This would force me to BLM camp when available which is free but zero amenities which means water rationing. Next is the heat and again it's peak heat months.

Last is my selfishness of bailing out of peak Giant Ragweed season at home. For 30ish days these plants seriously kick my ass. It works out though because I avoid the crowds and catch dry weather to hit the trails.

As you can see by my map I need to go the NE, I hear Maine is amazing in the summer so that's on my short list this year, along with 3 weeks West in Sept.

Aug is out, we will be in Minnedosa Manitoba visiting family and attending Rockin the Fields concert:
Rockinthefields.ca
Yes....Maine, VT and NH are amazing in the Summer.
Snowlover and Motorpsychology like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #19 of 46 Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
MOAR OFFROAD
post #20 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Off road two up (with a passenger)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode